Tin Foil Vs. Screen

Hello all. I have been smoking hookah a while but im still working on setting up the gear to get the best smoke. arent we all?

anywho...my question:

what do you all prefer? using tin foil and poking holes or using a screen....and why?!

also, if you prefer tin foil, is there some sort of art i need to be aware for poking the holes? because ive seen it done so many ways (lots of tiny holes/decent holes evenly around/holes on one side and the coal barely sitting on them) and i cant really tell if that effects anything because there are so many factors.

i guess maybe i just dont understand the anatomy of the bowl/screen-foil/coal relationship

help!

-brittany

I like tin foil better. The last time I used a screen it was outdoors and it fell off (with the coal) onto me or the blanket about 5 times. Yes, that is kind of my fault, but oh well.
Different people have different patterns for poking holes.
The spiral with a slightly bigger hole in the middle is good. Edited by Bones

QUOTE (hungry hungry puffer @ Feb 28 2008, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im going with foil

with screens you cant customize your hole pattern

and also i think you get thicker clouds with less coal, because it is much thinner

thinner? you mean the foil? im always trying to get thicker smoke huh.gif also-do you know if the thickness of the foil effects how fast the shisha gets burned?

I always use foil, you need less heat b/c the foil is thinner... and with a lot of smaller holes you get a lot less ash in your shisha, and therefore get a nicer smoke.

Plus you just throw foil away, instead of having to scrub burnt sticky stuff off of the screen.

i've been a big fan of both. when i first started i made my own screen cut from a piece of scrap stainless...made it fit perfectly over the bowl and gave myself my favorite hole pattern. worked extremely well, and was super convenient, but it was a PITA to keep clean, and as i eventually found out, hard to keep in shape...it got crushed one day.

i've been using foil for the past two years though...it's just so incredibly simple to use, and much easier just to toss out and start with a new piece.

as for the hole pattern? i like about 15 decent sized holes(i use "jumbo" paper clips to make the holes) spread evenly over the foil. seems to work well enough for me...

I personally have yet to try a screen but am going to soon. I always hear that the foil is better but I want to experience the difference. I'mm calculating a high probability that I'm gonna stick to foil based on the size of the holes on screens. Any who, screens are super duper cheap so why not try it then decide what you like most. I think you can get 3 screend for like a buck and some change.

I started out with screens and saw foil and something I'd never use. However, I've started smoking with a friend and he has always used foil, and I lost my screen one day and used foil, and now I always use foil. I think you get thicker clouds and like other have said, less ash in the shisha.

I've always found that the shisha burns through too fast with foil. I'm going with screens, especially if you can make them yourself. Edited by St. Goodypants

QUOTE (hungry hungry puffer @ Feb 28 2008, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im going with foil
also-do you know if the thickness of the foil effects how fast the shisha gets burned?

yes, the thickness of the foil does make a difference. Dont buy cheap thin foil or the foil will burn the molases right under it very quickly and it will char...

If u have very thin foil, i suggest u double it up... And thicken the holes in this case since the foil is double!

• 2 years later...
i dont think this is the right spot to post this but HEY. its on topic somewhat...

Okay so im out of foil and i dont wanna use the screen thing cause personally i think it SUCKS,is there any alternative material to cover the shisha and works just as good as foil?

I use Reynolds Heavy duty foil. I don't like the screens because they burn the shisha and it sucks having to clean it. Foil is a lot easier. I usually don't use any special type of hole pattern I use. I usually do 6 rows of holes for a Egyptian, or any bowl that isn't a funnel, and 3 rows on funnel bowls w/no hole in the middle.

[quote name='Jerry Paul' timestamp='1292832406' post='491838']
i dont think this is the right spot to post this but HEY. its on topic somewhat...

Okay so im out of foil and i dont wanna use the screen thing cause personally i think it SUCKS,is there any alternative material to cover the shisha and works just as good as foil?
[/quote]

this
http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/40343-will-a-tealight-mod-burn/

[quote name='nun' timestamp='1292840314' post='491846']

[/quote]

this
[url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/40343-will-a-tealight-mod-burn/"]http://www.hookahfor...light-mod-burn/[/url]
[/quote]

That's not a foil replacement.........merely something to fill up space in a phunnel so that less shisha is used.

[quote name='Travis' timestamp='1292841175' post='491847']
[quote name='nun' timestamp='1292840314' post='491846']

[/quote]

this
[url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/40343-will-a-tealight-mod-burn/"]http://www.hookahfor...light-mod-burn/[/url]
[/quote]

That's not a foil replacement.........merely something to fill up space in a phunnel so that less shisha is used.
[/quote]

Oh, so me noob. But I'm sure a Martha Stewart of hookah can make that work.