Time for Change....

I would like to see this forum liven up a bit. I know that the primary discussion topic is hookah but this place is dead. I am a moderator at several other forums and I think this place could benefit from a few changes.-First, there is no reason why we cant edit posts here. I am all about wanting to raise my post count, but if I make a mistake I should be able to edit it. Hopefully, I am not just crazy but I have tried from my work computer and my home computer and I cant seem to edit posts
-Second, while I know people want to add cool scripts to there forums, I can think of a million other cool scripts that are much better then having to enter a number combination to logon to the site
-Third lets add some more sections - Like I said, I know the primary topic of this site is hookahs, but lets make it a bit more socialable and add an entertainment section (tv, music, movies). How about a politics section or world events. I would like to talk about other stuff and after all hookah smokers are (from what I have seen anyways) generally deep thinkers. Maybe by making this place less bland we can draw more members and recruit them to the hookah smoking life style.Lastly, A face lift would be nice. I own a web design company and would donate a new skin for this site.What do you all think?

Bravo, that's a great rant/suggestion! Good going Steve, sadly I've heard that the owner of the site is rarely around. I didn't even get a thank you for my 5$ donation . How about showing us this skin you will donate? We should have a post of suggestive boards we can ask the admin to put up. That would definately help get this place moving. Sadly, I think people go to only one part of the site, and that's the main discussion, there may not be too many people looking this way :-(. Good job once again, Nahkla rose...pffJon

[quote name='jmexx']Bravo, that's a great rant/suggestion! Good going Steve, sadly I've heard that the owner of the site is rarely around. I didn't even get a thank you for my 5$ donation . How about showing us this skin you will donate? We should have a post of suggestive boards we can ask the admin to put up. That would definately help get this place moving. Sadly, I think people go to only one part of the site, and that's the main discussion, there may not be too many people looking this way :-(. Good job once again, Nahkla rose...pff Jon[/quote]
HEY! Repect brother - Nahkla rose is AMAZINGI just have a really good idea for a skin in my head - I dont want to design it until I get the blessing from the owner but since he is NEVER around god knows if that will happen. Anybody know how to contact this guy?

Hello,

Jon, I didn't notice that you had donated. Actually, I have only
recieved 3-4 donations in the last 2 years, so I don't check the paypal
very often. 

Stevie, I think you have good ideas. I will try to make
the  posts editable, remove the number code (i don't like that
either),  and add the new sections. I will also add a couple
sticky topics like shisha reviews etc.

Also, if you have a cool skin in mind, lets check it out.

adrock

[quote name='adrock5150']Hello,  Jon, I didn't notice that you had donated. Actually, I have only recieved 3-4 donations in the last 2 years, so I don't check the paypal very often.  Stevie, I think you have good ideas. I will try to make the  posts editable, remove the number code (i don't like that either),  and add the new sections. I will also add a couple sticky topics like shisha reviews etc. Also, if you have a cool skin in mind, lets check it out.adrock[/quote]
I either want to go full speed a head or not. I have a good idea, but I would have to strip this site down to the core and start over again so I need your blessing to do that. I am not going to create a concept unless there is somewhat of a gaurentee that you want me to move onwards otherwise its not worth my time

[quote name='jmexx']:-O He speaks! Haha, maybe you can fix my problem of not being able to read my own PMs, it says I lack permissions? Thanks! Jon[/quote]

I have that problem to and I think many others do also. The code for this site just needs to be rewritten. I can read my own pm's only after I logon again (and sometimes twice)

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='cafedelmar']It would be nice to see some forums by region too. Maybe one for Canada, one for the UK, and one for the States? It makes it easier to find relevant topics.          [/quote]
All the guy has to do is give me the OK and I'l start the much needed make over. If anybody knows him have him add [url="http://mailto:laconicbehaviour@gmail.com"]laconicbehaviour@gmail.com[/url] to his msn or laconicbehaviour to his AIM and we can chat about it. Hello - I know I am a JR member but since he doesn't seem to come around he might as well just turn over admin of this site to mushrat or cypress or someone

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Stevie.....you can contact adrock5150 at:  info@hookahkings.com

He is the owner of that company.  But I wouldn't reccommend
bombarding his email with multiple requests.  I'm giving you this
information only because I think you have some good ideas for improving
this forum 

• 3 weeks later...
Just something I worked on tonight, what do you think?[url="http://templatepost.com/forum/index.php"]http://templatepost.com/forum/index.php[/url]I'm not saying we should use it ...but it is relatively easy to make a forum that looks better and doesn't have the cookie disease.

Wow, you did some work. I like it for it's professional look. And I'm all for changes because changes keep us on our toes. However, just one thing to consider, and don't think I'm being overly critical: Most forums out there follow a "sterile" template similar to your proposal. This site is a little dated, and because of that it looks unique to me. I also have my forum page's skin, or colors or whatever you call it, set to "summer." It is a pleasing, golden color. Though that is my PERSONAL preference, have you looked through the list of "skins available for this, to give you some ideas of how to retain a unique look to our forum once you revamp it? Yes, I did say "once you revamp it," because I think you should do the work. I don't know flip about setting up a page, and I imagine it gets time consuming, therefor, I commend and admire you for your work.
MR Bubble

Thanks MR Bubble,I agree with you on the skin, its actually not one that I made. I did pick it from a small selection of skins that are compatible with the addons that I planned on including, like the news section at the top and the latest posts box on the left. I WOULD make a custom skin for us to use...but that would take me weeks and my classes start again on Monday. We can always start with one and change it down the road.Here's the deal. For me to do this I'd need to have access to the server (Adrock would need to give me FTP login details) and to the control panel issued by whoever is hosting the server. The new forum would have completely new software so I'd have to install it, update the database, install the skin and modify it with some custom addons. I can do all this without messing with the current forum. Then, when the new one is ready we can make a smooth transition. Although, everyone would have to re-register and we'd lose our posts. I can bring the large review threads over. That would be the only downside and it is up to you if it would be worth it.The main points are that the cookie issues would hypothetically be fixed, the skin would be newer (and more appealing, especially to us younger members), we'll have more options for modifications and addons, AND we'll have an edit button. Also, I was thinking of some fun things we could do with the forum like post monthly drawings (with sponsors of course), brand/flavor of the month polls, etc. Sorry that got long! Let me know what you think,

That was long? Then I must write novels. I like it too, Brad, Its real clean and efficient looking. I think Bubba has a point, too, I like the "lived-in" look.Has anybody ever proposed having a reunion/meeting once a year or so for all the users on here?

[quote name='Tangiers']That was long? Then I must write novels. I like it too, Brad, Its real clean and efficient looking. I think Bubba has a point, too, I like the "lived-in" look.Has anybody ever proposed having a reunion/meeting once a year or so for all the users on here?[/quote]
Well, it's not the "lived in" look that appeals to me. Change is good sometimes. It's the uniqueness of it that trips my man-trigger.
A reunion? Are you sure that's a good idea?
MR Bubble

[quote name='MR Bubble'][quote name='Tangiers']That was long? Then I must write novels. I like it too, Brad, Its real clean and efficient looking. I think Bubba has a point, too, I like the "lived-in" look.Has anybody ever proposed having a reunion/meeting once a year or so for all the users on here?[/quote]

A reunion? Are you sure that's a good idea?
MR Bubble[/quote]Is it a bad idea? Iwas thinking of a get-together for people that are active. Just an idea I had, if its a bad idea, I apologize. Brad and I discussed it at length, you get to be bubba or alternatively, Mr. Bubba.How come there couldn't be some migration of information, user names and posts, I wasn't paying attention.