Tar Content

I sent an email out to one of the major tobacco companies that makes shisha, and here's their response:

"Thank you for visiting our website and taking the time to contact us. You can find information regarding to make-up of our tobacco on the boxes of our products. Unfortunately, there is very little research that has been done on shisha smoking and molasses tobacco. In reference to the tar content lab results have shown that the smoke is actually free of tar. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask."

What do you all think??? Truly free of tar AFTER it's cooked/burned???

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ASUSEAN1 @ Feb 3 2008, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when you burn tobacco, tar is produced.. the end.

Well one could argue since we are not actually burning the tobacco that we are not producing any tar. Remember, the point of how we smoke is to simply vaporize the liquid in the tobacco; so that brings up all kinds of questions. wink.gif

QUOTE (EvansLight @ Feb 3 2008, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ASUSEAN1 @ Feb 3 2008, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when you burn tobacco, tar is produced.. the end.

Well one could argue since we are not actually burning the tobacco that we are not producing any tar. Remember, the point of how we smoke is to simply vaporize the liquid in the tobacco; so that brings up all kinds of questions. wink.gif

yeah i agree with that.

there is no way you are not burning it, if the tobacco turns black and hard when the bowl is done

edit: you are jus burning it more slow Edited by ASUSEAN1

QUOTE (ASUSEAN1 @ Feb 3 2008, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there is no way you are not burning it, if the tobacco turns black and hard when the bowl is done

edit: you are jus burning it more slowly

but it doesnt turn to ash. When you burn it it gets harsh, the reason its so smooth most of the time is that your not burning anything.

QUOTE (EvansLight @ Feb 3 2008, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but it doesnt turn to ash. When you burn it it gets harsh, the reason its so smooth most of the time is that your not burning anything.

then shouldn't the tobacco be brown still when you are done with a bowl if you are only vaporizing the liquid?

when you burn the shit out of the tobacco, it gets harsh.. but i think the tobacco is technically burning throughout the session, thus causing tar to produce

QUOTE (ASUSEAN1 @ Feb 3 2008, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (EvansLight @ Feb 3 2008, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

then shouldn't the tobacco be brown still when you are done with a bowl if you are only vaporizing the liquid?

when you burn the shit out of the tobacco, it gets harsh.. but i think the tobacco is technically burning throughout the session, thus causing tar to produce

its black and hard because u cook all the liquid out of it, and there is some charing on it. Im not saying there is no tar, but a whole shit load less because your at most charing the tobacco.

charing/ burning.. all sounds the same to me. I am sure there is a lot less tar than there could be.. I wouldn;t be surprised if tht one study is correct.. 45 min session= 2 cigs worth of nic and 1 cig worth a tar or somethin like tht

QUOTE (ASUSEAN1 @ Feb 3 2008, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
charing/ burning.. all sounds the same to me. I am sure there is a lot less tar than there could be.. I wouldn;t be surprised if tht one study is correct.. 45 min session= 2 cigs worth of nic and 1 cig worth a tar or somethin like tht

yeah neither would i...damn you WHO and your BS 200 cigarettes study

I believe there is tar being produced, but not as much as directly burning the tobacco.

Why do I believe this? Where do you get the buzz from? Last time I checked you don't get a buzz from evaporated glycerin. This would mean you're getting a nicotine buzz from the tobacco, which is being released from it being heated. I'm sure theres more then just nicotine getting pulled down from the tobacco when you heat it.

My .02

Just because its black at the end means nothing to me really. Most shisha from over sea's is black and last time I checked it was black when it was done aswell. Same goes for tangiers. Besides the fact its dry, the shisha looks the same.

i think their is a possibility tar could come off the tobacco even if it isn't directly burned but even if there was it would be removed check out this vid the device used is exactly like a hookah to remove all tar from cigarettes... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtKchm4KyVY

QUOTE (Bryantos @ Feb 3 2008, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe there is tar being produced, but not as much as directly burning the tobacco.

Why do I believe this? Where do you get the buzz from? Last time I checked you don't get a buzz from evaporated glycerin. This would mean you're getting a nicotine buzz from the tobacco, which is being released from it being heated. I'm sure theres more then just nicotine getting pulled down from the tobacco when you heat it.

My .02

and nicotine sure as hell doesnt give off puffy white clouds tongue.gif

QUOTE (TheOneNonlyTK @ Feb 3 2008, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think their is a possibility tar could come off the tobacco even if it isn't directly burned but even if there was it would be removed check out this vid the device used is exactly like a hookah to remove all tar from cigarettes... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtKchm4KyVY

whats funny about this is this kinda disproves that whole "smoking a bowl is equal to 200 cigs", if so then the water in our hookah would start to look like this XD The only thing that ever turns my water colors is juice running down the stem. When i smoke out of a funnel bowl the water stays fairly clear biggrin.gif

Also there was a guy here on the forums recently who had an xray of his lungs and it showed them to be clean, and he was a fairly regular hookah smoker. Goes to show that hookah doesnt produce any where near as much tar as cigs, if it produces any at all wink.gif And remember, big tobacco companies to add extra chemicals to there smokes that we dont have in hookah tobacco.

QUOTE (EvansLight @ Feb 3 2008, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (TheOneNonlyTK @ Feb 3 2008, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

whats funny about this is this kinda disproves that whole "smoking a bowl is equal to 200 cigs", if so then the water in our hookah would start to look like this XD The only thing that ever turns my water colors is juice running down the stem. When i smoke out of a funnel bowl the water stays fairly clear biggrin.gif

Also there was a guy here on the forums recently who had an xray of his lungs and it showed them to be clean, and he was a fairly regular hookah smoker. Goes to show that hookah doesnt produce any where near as much tar as cigs, if it produces any at all wink.gif And remember, big tobacco companies to add extra chemicals to there smokes that we dont have in hookah tobacco.

quite right about the chemical thing, i once read a quote from one of the big dawgs of marlboro, "the secret to marlboro is ammonia" and in fact, the light cigarettes have a different smell to normal ones.... can i see the xray of the lungs?

ahwahoo got it. "Tar" in regards to smoke is actually Nicotine Free Dry Particle Matter (NFDPM). Basically any dry matter that is not nicotine based. A few studies have shown the quantitative analysis of NFDPM for hookahs. None so far that I have found have done a qualitative analysis. Edited by aldonb1

What about vaporizers for NHT? It doesn't actually burn, yet the chemicals are released. It could be working the same for nicotine.

BTW. I apologize if above is against the rules. I dont believe it will be though, just delete it if it is.