Jewels (Formerly Kamal)

mushrat

Post your reviews below for Kamel Flavours. This is for reviews only. Questions and comments should be posted in seperate threads. Non-review posts or parts of posts deemed not part of the review will be edited out by Mods. For ease of using the search engine, each review should start with:

Kamel (flavour)

Honey

Setup: Mitsuba Two Hose(see my albums) with a 40mm 3kings and a 33mm starlight. Ice water with cubes. edit:Used a screen

Appearance: dark brown, almost black. Waaaay to much molasses.

Smell: Excellent honey smell, kinda mild. Smelt almost like a honey dutchmaster cigar.

Smoke: Very very thick.

Flavor: Perfect honey taste that lasted till the end.

Buzz: didn't get much of a buzz, but I've been smoking a lot lately

Duration: Roughly an hour and a half and I didn't need new coals(actually had to put them out)

Issues: Well the molasses serves a problem. When I was done, I looked in my ashtray to find a pool of molasses about the size of a nickel. Also: The tobacco bisquit left over was overly tempting...it smelt like honey combs(type of cerial). So I tried to eat it wacko.gif ...very salty.

Overall: 9/10 i love it. It would have been a ten out of 10 if in wasn't for the molasses.

edit
O ya, its a really really high quality tobacco used

and another edit is the pic below of the molasses overload Edited by r1v3th3ad

Mixed Berry

Setup: Ruby red star Mya with 2 1/3 pieces of exotica coals, a windcover , foil, and a regular hose.

Appearance: Dark brown, sticky

Smell: Excellent mixed berry smell, smelled sugary too.

Smoke: Thin at first, then about 10-15 minutes in the clouds flowed.

Flavor: mixed berry taste. Couldn't put my finger on an exact berry, tasted like i had just eaten a berry salad.

Buzz: I got a small buzz but that's just me

Duration: Only an hour because i had to go to wor

Overall: 8.5. Very good smoke. I don't like the cut of the tobacco though. Seemed to have a lot of stems in it.
I also like the touch of the flavored tips. Very nice. I will figure out a way to get these on my hose so i can use them next time!

EDITED TO ADD....
Only bad thing is the shisha got caked to the bowl! I mean so bad as to regular force wouldn't take the bisquit out! I had to soak it in hot water (i chizzled at it at first then the ol noggin' kicked in) I'm afraid to smoke this in my mn glass phunnel for fear that my fiance will go to clean it and begin chizzling away at it like he saw me do! lol_hitting.gif Edited by kornkitten42

Peach

Setup: Mya Gyro (green) 2 hose, 2x 33mm 3 Kings coals, windcover, heavy duty foil, ice water

Appearance: fresh Cow dung (seriously), very few stems.

Smell: Not cow dung, very light and pleasant, hint of peach candy (not overwhelming though)

Smoke: Extremely smooth smoke (I kept the windcover on the whole time). Huge clouds. Very Nice

Taste: Slightly dissapointed. Very light flavor (but still pleasant). More smell than taste. Cigar afterbite (Yuck)

Buzz: Watch out, if you haven't been smoking for awhile. (mild)

Duration: 1 hour 20 mintues

Overall: 6.5/10, The cigar flavor is what ruined this for me. Also this is extremely high quality tobacco, so once you have it going it starts to cake with the molasses and it is hard to remove it from the bowl. Watch out.

Banana

Setup: Mya Gyro (green) 2 hose, 2x 33mm 3 Kings coals, windcover, heavy duty foil, ice water

Appearance: fresh Cow dung (seriously), very few stems.

Smell: Not cow dung, strong smell for banana, smells like the candy "Runts"

Smoke: Extremely smooth smoke (I kept the windcover on the whole time). Huge clouds. Very Nice

Taste: Pretty good. This is my first banana, so not too shabby. More smell than taste. Cigar afterbite (Yuck)

Overall:7/10, The cigar flavor again is what made this experience not a great one.

Mixed Berries

Appearance: fresh Cow dung (seriously), very few stems (no stems).

Smell: Yum! smells like over-ripe rasberries with a hint of banana and strawberries.

Taste: Wow, really nice flavor. No cigar afterbite! 9.5/10

Overall: 9/10, Ended with this one last night, and I'm glad I did. Edited by JtowninAtown

Kamal Mixed Berries - thanks to Gaius for the extremely generous samples!

Setup: MYA QT, standard bowl, foil, one 3Kings 40mm QL coal

Appearance: Nice box, well packaged in a mini zip-lock bag, along with flavored tips. I really liked the bag - thinker plastic than most boxes Ive seen, and an easy way to store and keep fresh.

Cut: Interesting cut, the type of tobacco looked different from most shisha I have seen. It almost looked like cigarette tobacco covered in molasses.

Smell: Present, but not overpowering. Mostly raspberry with a hint of blueberry and strawberry.

Taste: More tobacco than fruit, but this also could have been due to heat management issues.

Smoke: I simply could not get this to where I wanted. I tried a number of coal combinations and placements, but I still could not get better than average smoke.

Overall: 7/10 - I actually really liked the flavor being more tobacco-y. I think some fruit flavors are way too overpowering, but I also enjoy smoking cigars on their own. This stuff is SUPER sticky and I think that might be part of the problem getting it to smoke right - it also makes a mess in your bowl and can clog the holes. I have yet to try it in a phunnel bowl, but I think that might help alleviate the problem.

Kamal Bananna

Shisha Cut: Fine cut, dark brown nearly black in color, exceptionally sticky, like no other shisha I've seen before. Sticks to your fingers and not easy to fluff or handle.

Hookah Type: 22" Egyptian

Duration: 45 minutes

Bowl: Egyptian clay bowl

Foil / Screen: 1 layer of Reynold's HD foil

Coal / Amount: 1/4 of an Exotica stick with windcover

Smoke: Wispy at first then got good smoke. Not huge clouds but enough.

Buzz: Tonk! Nakhla like buzz indeed

Smell / Flavor: Smelled like bananna candy and tobacco. Had a great bananna taste with some tobacco taste as well.

Rating (1 to 10): 8 The only other bananna shisha I've had is Hookah Hookah and I like Kamal Bananna much better. I would guess you would get more smoke with more heat, but I used 1/4 stick and I wasn't in the mood to light a second 1/4 stick. If it would have been easier to handle (too sticky) I'd have given it a higher rating. I really liked it though!

kamal grape

Setup: egyption 20" single hose nammor hose, funnle bowl with mod

Appearance: dark brown, very moist

Smell:smelled like a grape cigar

Flavor: light grape flavor little to much cigar after tast for me

Buzz: lite buzz

Duration: about an hour or so

Issues: i would prefere a bit less cigar tast

Overall: 5/10 not bad, not my fav

Mediterranian Grape

Setup: Mitsuba Two Hose(see my albums) with a 40mm 3kings and a 33mm starlight. Ice water with cubes. Used a screen

Appearance: dark brown, almost black. Waaaay to much molasses. High quality tobacco(I think its a cigar cut)

Smell: Amazing. I left it out for a few hours to see if I could dry up some of the molasses. During this time, it made my whole apartment smell like someone was crushing those green grapes.

Flavor: Fantastic. It wasn't like the other grape shishas you smoke, where they taste artificial and very sweet(like grape soda/pop). It actually tasted like a grape. The flavore lasted up until the last five minutes or so.

Buzz: slight buzz, but I've been smoking a lot lately

Duration: Roughly an hour and a half and I didn't need new coals(actually had to put them out)

Issues: Well the molasses caused the same problem listed above in my other review. This time it left a hell of a lot more. Pool of molasses in my ashtray was about the size of a silver dollar.

Overall: 9/10 i love it. It would have been a ten out of 10 if in wasn't for the molasses.

Kamal Mixed Fruits

Shisha Cut: Fine cut, dark brown nearly black in color, exceptionally sticky, like no other shisha I've seen before. Sticks to your fingers and not easy to fluff or handle.

Duration: 45 minutes

Bowl: Egyptian clay bowl

Foil / Screen: 1 layer of reynold's HD foil

Coal / Amount: 1/4 of an Exotica stick with windcover

Smoke: Good amount of smoke. Not huge clouds, but good.

Buzz: Tonk! Nakhla like buzz, indeed!

Smell / Flavor: Smelled like mostly like tobacco with a nice fruit background. Tasted like quality tobacco with just a bit of fruit flavor.

Rating (1 to 10): 7 While it didn't a huge fruit taste, the tobacco taste was very enjoyable. If it had a little more fruit taste and was easier to handle I would have ranked it higher. I liked it.

Banana

Setup: Mitsuba Two Hose(see my albums) with a 40mm 3kings and a 33mm starlight. Ice water with cubes. Used a screen

Appearance: dark brown, almost black. Waaaay to much molasses. High quality tobacco(I think its a cigar cut)

Smell: Bananas, lots of em

Smoke: Thick, but not very thick.

Flavor: Pretty good. Didn't taste like real bananas, too artificially ensemenated with sugar...I think the best way to analyze the taste is that it tasted like banana taffy. Only thing is that half way through, the tobacco flavor took over for me, but I liked it. It was like smoking a banana philly.

Buzz: mild buzz, but I've been smoking a lot lately

Duration: Roughly an hour and I didn't need new coals(actually had to put them out)

Issues: Well the molasses caused the same problem listed above in my other review. This time the puddle was like in the pic posted above.

Overall: 8.5/10 i love it. It would have been a 9.5 out of 10 if in wasn't for the molasses. 10 outta 10 if the flavor lasted longer.

Kamel Double Apple

Set Up: 32” Egyptian, std. Bowl, water and ice cubes in the base, started with 2 Three kings QL
Tobacco look and smell: Smell was nice and I liked the cut of this tobac. This stuff is supper sticky. I took it out of the bag, which is very heavy duty and zippable, and in a bowl and mixed the hell out of it to loosen it up a little. Them packed my bowl covered with foil poked holes.
The Session: It took a decent amount of heat to get it going 2 three kings and a wind screen. Draw was hard I believe do to the thickness of the tobac. I also got out an older hole so I could use the flavored tip. Once this stuff got going the smoke was very good. Huge clouds of white puffy smoke. Taste was very good, it was one of the best double apples I have had and I really enjoyed it. There was a nice undertone of tobac taste, which I like because I am an avid cigar and pipe smoker. Heat management was a tad of a pain, this is not a set it an forget it shisha. I smoked for a good 2 hours and when through a few more 3 kings. Overall very good I feel that this product is one of the better shishas I have smoked and I feel it is because it comes from a very respected mainstream tobac co. that uses very good quality tobacco leaves. I would not be surprised if there is some scrap cuttings from some high end cigars in this.
The Clean Up: This stuff cooked hard!!!! Clean up was a pain from the grommet being a sticky mess to the cake in the bowl. I had to really work to get this stuff out of my bowl.

Other then the clean up I truly enjoyed this session. I would buy this product again it may be my go to double apple.

The tips are nice but they are better to chew on then smoke with.
Hookah.gif Hookah.gif Hookah.gif Hookah.gif Hookah.gif Hookah.gif Hookah.gif Hookah.gif Hookah.gif

Kamel Strawberry

Set Up: Mya QT, Tangiers phunnel bowl, water and ice cubes in the base, started with 2 Three kings QL, Bowl packed like I pack a normal round of Tangiers
Tobacco look and smell: Smell was nice and I liked the cut of this tobac. This stuff is supper sticky. I took it out of the bag, which is very heavy duty and zippable, and in a bowl and mixed the hell out of it to loosen it up a little. Them packed my bowl covered with foil poked holes.
The Session: Took a lot of heat to get this going. Draw was easy do to not having to suck air through sticky mess of tobac. I really did not get a lot of flavor with this method. I was expecting another really good flavored session like I had with the double apple but did not get it. Smoke was really thick once it got going but again very little flavor. I do not use a mod on the phunnel which may help with flavor. Although I was not getting a lot of flavor I still had a really nice smoke. I had all 50g packed into my bowl and I smoked for a strong 4 hours.
The Clean Up: I did not have a sticky grommet this time but the shisha was still a pain to get out of the bowl. This stuff cooks hard and really does not want to come out easy.

I took a Kamel brake tonight and am enjoying some AF Apricot as I write this.

Kamal Mixed Fruit

Setup: ? Hookah with ? hose, cold tap water in base, foil, two Kwikstart pieces

Smell: Couldn't place the smell, but it smelled good.

Smoke: Thin the whole time.

Flavor: With the tip: Something akin to pez. Without the tip: Mixed fruits? Couldn't name anything specific. Nice flavor.

Buzz: None

Duration: An hourish. Got bored of the thin smoke.

Overall: 6/10. The tip was the best part. The smoke was way too thin, I felt like it never got started, it just ended. I'll probably smoke this one again, because maybe I did something wrong this time?

QUOTE (jeans_redux @ Feb 4 2008, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kamal Mixed Fruit

Setup: ? Hookah with ? hose, cold tap water in base, foil, two Kwikstart pieces

Smell: Couldn't place the smell, but it smelled good.

Smoke: Thin the whole time.

Flavor: With the tip: Something akin to pez. Without the tip: Mixed fruits? Couldn't name anything specific. Nice flavor.

Duration: An hourish. Got bored of the thin smoke.

Overall: 6/10. The tip was the best part. The smoke was way too thin, I felt like it never got started, it just ended. I'll probably smoke this one again, because maybe I did something wrong this time?

Same review I had... Smelled pretty good, smoked pretty bad. Thin, yet flavorful smoke the whole time. The smoke although flavorful was sort of a weird taste.

I dont think I let mine go for more than 10 mins. We passed around the circle 3-4 times and then decided to pack a different bowl

Kamal Banana

Setup: ? Hookah with ? hose, cold tap water in base, foil, three Kwikstart pieces

Smell: Banana runts

Smoke: Started off thin for about 10 minutes, then kicked up to moderately good smoke for half an hour, then thin again.

Flavor: With the tip: Banana runts! Very good. Without the tip the same flavor but slightly less.

Buzz: A tiny one

Duration: An hour.

Overall: 7.5/10. I actually was surprised to enjoy this flavor after my run-in with mixed fruit. Wasn't the best, but wasn't the worst either. My favorite banana so far! (Also my first wink.gif) Edited by jeans_redux

Kamal Strawberry, Honey

Setup: 3 hose Ballerina hookah with Diamente natural fingers and a screen, no foil. Managed to (barely) fit the tips on my hoses

Smell: Amazing smell, smelled like slightly candied strawberries. Honey was very sweet and honey tasting... Not much more I can say about that.

Smoke: Thin until I baked it with an entire finger of Diamente on the screen. After that it smoked pretty well, but the flavor only lasted for about 20 minutes until it tasted like a bad cigar. The strawberry tasted like it smelled, the honey was slightly more flavorful than it smelled.

Flavor: For the ~20 minutes after I piled the coals on, the flavor was great. Did not notice any cigar taste like others have reported until after 20 minutes, after which I could only taste cigar and found that the shisha was fried to a crisp.

Buzz: Maybe if it lasted longer...

Duration: Took it off after 25 minutes because the flavor turned bad.

Overall: Kamel is onto something here, but they need to add a bunch more glycerin so that I do not have to bake the shisha to get good clouds of the flavorful smoke. The shisha is fairly wet, but no more than say Starbuzz. However, the molasses is very sticky and somewhat hard to handle. Shouldn't be a problem if you don't mind getting your hands dirty though. The puck came off fine though, as it was baked to a crisp. The tips were a nice touch, but they need to be made more hose friendly. It was very difficult for me to get mine onto the hoses, and some of them even ripped. They also restricted the flow somewhat. A more traditional funnel type of tip would be better.

Score: 5/10. Could be great, but needs work.

Kamal Honey

Setup: Mya QT(fake but still smokes well) with phunnel bowl and nammor hose.

Taste: I thought it was gross but had a few friends who really enjoyed it.

Smoke: Thin to moderate at best. It never really thickened up unfortunatly.

Duration: Got grosser after about 25-30 mins.

Overall I'd say 4/10

Kamal Mediterranian Grape

Duration: 1 hour

Bowl: Small Super Chief

Coal / Amount: 3/4 of an Exotica stick broken into 3 pieces

Smoke: Good amount of smoke, nice clouds.

Buzz: Tonk! Nakhla like buzz indeed

Smell / Flavor: Smelled like grape and cigar tobacco. Had no real grape taste, just a sweetness and mild cigar taste.

Rating (1 to 10): 4 No flavor really, and way too sticky.

Kamal Mixed Berries

Duration: 1 hour 15 minutes

Bowl: Small Super Chief

Coal / Amount: 3/4 of an Exotica stick broken into 3 pieces

Smoke: Huge clouds once it got going.

Buzz: Piyah! Flattened me, had to stay in chair for a bit after the session!

Smell / Flavor: Smelled like berries with just a touch of tobacco smell. Tasted like berries with a slight tobacco taste in the background. Very nice berry flavor.

Rating (1 to 10): 9 The strongest flavored Kamal shishas yet. Very nice berry taste. Would have been a 10 if not for the sticky texture. The best kamal flavor so far!

Flavor: Kamal Double Apple

Setup: Mya QT Egyptian bowl, 2 1/4 pieces of exotica coal (one half a golden later)

This stuff is BEYOND sticky, like really, you have to try it to believe it. Far too much molasses.

Didnt take too long to get this going with the windcover. Average smoke, not too thick but not thin.

So maybe the first ten minutes of this shisha actually tastes like apple. After that it just tastes like a cigar. If you are into cigars then you might love this, but as far as shisha is concerned this simply does not make the grade. It is basically cigar tobacco with molasses and flavor on it. The mouth tip did not fit onto my hose (regular mya hose)

This brand really does need some work, it tastes wayyy too much like tobacco, but hey if you're into that thats cool.

Flavor Kamal Strawberry

Again, sticky as hell. It had a nice smell to it, but right from the beginning it did NOT taste like strawberry. This one just tasted like straight up philly blunt tobacco. I smoked this for 15 minutes before i had enough.

In summary: im not too excited to try the rest of the kamal flavors but i guess why waste the free shisha. Also WAY TOO MUCH molasses. my ashtray was flooded with the shit.

Mediterranean Grape

Setup: Mya QT with 2 hoses, 1 regular adapter and 1 auto-seal, large Egyptian bowl

Appearance: Dark brown, almost black. Thick, super sticky like glue.

Smell: Grapes, honey, and pipe/cigar tobacco.

Smoke: The smoke was thin at first but then became thick. Not as thick as other brands.

Flavor: Grape juice with a mild pipe tobacco/woody taste.

Buzz: Moderate

Duration: 1 Hour

Overall: I'd give this flavor an 8 out of 10. Somebody suggested to not put as much Kamal shisha in a bowl compared to other shisha brands, and sure enough it helped lessen the cigar taste. I was pleased with my experience with Kamal Mediterranean Grape. The left over juice/flavoring could've been less and the shisha is hard to work with due to it's stickiness. Edited by MrMoodz

Kamal Apple

Setup: Ballerina 3 hose, 2 of the regular metal handles and 1 cobra hose, charcoal screen, Diamente naturals, water+milk in base

Smell: Didn't impress me with the smell much; it smelled like tobacco more than anything else.
Smoke: Put it on after smoking some Sultan apricot so the bowl was still a bit warm, but in any case this stuff had decently thick smoke. Not as thick as say Starbuzz but better than most. I think this may be because I packed less than I had before with this tobacco and fluffed it up a bit.
Flavor: Great flavor actually. I was using the cobra hose so the tip would not fit, but while it was smoking it was gettin awesome flavor. This is one of my favorite apples I think. Had a slight tobacco aftertaste after a while, but for at least 20 mins I was in hookah bliss.
Buzz: I felt a little, and my friend had a headache after it but we had both smoked 2 other bowls before.
Duration: 45 minutes about with flavor, still smoked after that but not much flavor. I think my bowl packing this time was better so it lasted longer.
Overall: 8/10. Smoke was great, but the stickiness was still annoying and the other issues that were mentioned earlier are still present. Could have lasted a bit longer. Enjoyable smoke while it was there though.

• 7 months later...
Jewels Strawberry

Cut: Similar to Kamal, pipe/cigar cut. Very sticky.

Smell: Candyish strawberry, not unpleasant, just sweet and strawberryish. 8/10

Clouds: This tobacco takes a lot of heat to get really going. But when it does, it produces some quality cloudage. 8/10

Taste: Eck, plasticy strawberry flavor. I dont know how to describe it. Just weird. Nasty in a way. It tightened my chest when I smoked it, I wanted to cough up a lung. Ultimately, I tossed this flavor. 2/10

Overall: Just cant get over the flavor and the effect. Not good on this flavor. The peach was better. Go back to the drawing board with this one.

• 2 weeks later...
Jewels Peach

Hookah: Mya Obelisk
Bowl: Small Phunnel
Screen/Foil: Reynolds HD
Hose: Mya Cloisonne
Coals: Coconara
Base Liquid: Water

Appearance:
Very Short Cut, Black and Super Sticky
Nicotine: 0.05%
Base: Honey & Glycerin
Smell: Like a fresh Peach
Taste: Like over candied peach with a strong pipe/cigar tobacco.
Smoke: Average

Purchased From:
SaharaSmoke.com

Overall:
5/10 It was an okay flavor, but the pipe/cigar tobacco taste just doesn't belong. The tips come with do help take the edge off the pipe/cigar taste, but air flow is cut down to nothing, so they are useless to me. Stickiness was a major turn off. It was much stickier than even the stickiest Nakhla. This made clean up a pain.

• 1 month later...
Jewels Banana

Coals: 3K quicklite
Base Liquid: Water and lots of ice

Appearance: short cut and very dark and syrupy
Nicotine: ? (not indicated on packaging)
Texture: Sticky, lumpy and wet, a little hard to sprinkle in the bowl but the payoff is extra syrup with tons of flavor!
Base: Tobacco, Syrup, Glycerin & Flavors
Smell: Reminds me of banana candy
Taste: Easily the most flavorful shisha I've ever had. Smelled like banana candy and tasted the same, quite enjoyable and long lasting.
Smoke: thick and white, very nice.
Buzz: Wow! Yes! Go easy on this one.

Purchased From: a local tobacconist for $3.25 for 50g.

Overall: 9 out of 10. Hookah.gif Hookah.gif Hookah.gif Hookah.gif Hookah.gif Hookah.gif Hookah.gif Hookah.gif Hookah.gif mellow.gif
(I would give it a 10 of 10 but I'm reserving that for something that is impossibly delicious) This was my first banana flavor and is by far my favorite yet! It comes with 7 hose tips which seem to be flavored with banana and sugar as well which I found to be strange but not disagreeable. Even though the shisha was extra syrupy and sticky, I did not have any problems with cleanup as reported in other posts and the payoff was a hugely flavorful smoke. On the inhale the smoke has a sweet mildly banana like taste, but on the exhale the banana flavor really comes through in a prominent way, almost like eating a banana! French inhales were very enjoyable as the aroma and the flavor were cohesively enjoyable. The whole room smelled like bananas while the bowl was hot and my dogs kept licking the air to try and get a taste of this stuff! Simply put, this is my new favorite! Edited by hookah_hoop

• 2 weeks later...
Peach

Hookah used, Brass bowl, screen, and base, wood stem.

One large 3 kings coal and 2 -1/2 finger coals were used (we have found this to work best with the brass screen).

This is thick and gooey tobacco. Smells pleasantly like peach.

Smoke: medium thick clouds

Taste: not too strong, not too weak. Very nice taste and smell.

Burn time: we added coals at the end and had great smoke 1 h 10 minutes into the session, the smoke became harsh after than and was extinguished.

This is one of the better brands I have tried.

8/10