Packing A Bowl Of Tangiers Tobacco

mdl

QUOTE (mdl @ Jan 25 2008, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try your japanese coals on their first and use 4 of them. If you get a good smoke then you know it's heat issues with your other coals. Personally I would put more and larger holes in your foil with less coal than in your photo.

Tried bigger and more holes, along with japanese coals (3 of them) and found that it worked a lot better, but still nowhere near perfect... however I was using ice in the base and now I find that Tangiers should be using room temperature water... so hopefully that will help tongue.gif If not, I'll try more acclimation as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Anxiety @ Apr 25 2008, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
arent those coals directly on the tobacco? or is it supposed to be like that .w phunnel bowls"?

They are touching the foil which is touching the tobacco. Some people don't like that have all three touching, I don't mind it as it works just fine.

QUOTE (bigvito @ May 22 2008, 06:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And what about the vase? Is it filled with warm, room temp or cold water? I've seen people smoke with both freezing water, and room temp as said here?

You can fill it with warm, cold, or ice cold. I honestly haven't tasted a difference between them. I generally use cold water from one of those Brita filter jugs in my refrigerator.

Well I have used 250g of Lemon-Lime Tangiers and 250g of Red Tea Tangiers and STILL haven't gotten a good smoke from this stuff. Burns from the first pull. Coughs like i've never coughed before. I took a long break from Tangiers after those 2 bags. I have a bag of Orange Soda coming in a couple of hours, I'm gonna give this tutorial a try and hope for the best, if not, i might have to give up.

• 1 month later...
It's just your regular burned tobacco. It turns into a dry puck that just comes right out of the bowl, but I havent gotten it to look that way yet. Apparently my heat management is amazing because I can get hours and hours from a regular egyptian bowl.

• 1 month later...
I loaded a modern bowl yesterday (sprinkle with soft packing, not even half a bowls worth) with some tangiers grape I got from Neal's deal. The first round of coals disappointed me; the smoke was strong, buzzed me more than a cig or even a cigar O_o (not a bad thing tho, if you can "accept" it); it wasn't "harsh" like burning, but it "tickled." If a non-vet hookah smoker was not informed to not cough, the combination of choking and the buzz could prolly turn them off from hookah permanently (hell, classical conditioning would probably play a significant role here). I was done, it was too much work to try and balance this shit; I had been working on them for a good half hour.

And then, something happened. I wanted to smoke, and I knew the bowl wasn't finished, it had been maybe 2 hours and the bowl was cold, so I fired up some new coals. When I got them to the bowl, it smoked much easier, as if it had been cleaned. It was much more tolerant of the heat, and the tobacco itself seemed to try and balance the heat, as if to make up for what it had done. It smoked for a very long time, I quit after a set of coals.

I'll try the method mentioned in this topic tonight, but for those with out a phunnel or with very little tobacco, a normal bowl can be uses, just get that dude that pisses you off to much to start the bowl wink.gif

edit: I just emptied the bowl, it still had at LEAST and hour in it. shit a phunnel must last for days Edited by VDDZ

ok, I cleaned that phunnel full of tangiers, and it still looked full O_o. I smoked till I thought it was black, it had plenty of heat I believed, but it tasted done. The top was burnt, but the bottom was moist, I feel a mod would have helped. I can no longer test anything, as I broke my medium phunnel, but it really seemed to waste tobacco. I also feel I have reached a conclusion...

Their is nothing special about tangiers. Good tobacco, but to much work and waste for the money. AF still rules in my book, cheap, smokes well, easy to prep. I loaded a bowl to the T like this topic says, and it smoked like good tobacco. That was alot of work. I guess my hopes were a little high tho (but I did have to buy a special bowl and load it from a guide); I guess I half expected hot half-way naked chicks that wanted to suck on my hose and also stay to smoke some hookah to start showing up in my yard. If you have it, enjoy it; it has a good flavor and smokes nice. If your debating between your favorite smoke (or your next meal) and this, pass. I was not impressed, but I really wasn't let down.

Im still as to confused on how many coals I should use if I have a small funnel with QL I only have 40mm I have been cutting them in half and ussing a full 40mm coal but cut in half. I think that was harsh but at the same time I got no smoke. I dont know what the hell I did wrong. I am getting turned off by Tangiers sad.gif

QUOTE (newjacksm @ Sep 15 2008, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im still as to confused on how many coals I should use if I have a small funnel with QL I only have 40mm I have been cutting them in half and ussing a full 40mm coal but cut in half. I think that was harsh but at the same time I got no smoke. I dont know what the hell I did wrong. I am getting turned off by Tangiers sad.gif

I would try 3/4's of a 40mm and maybe more tobacco, sprinkling wont do it with tangiers (VDDZ).