Packing A Bowl Of Tangiers Tobacco

mdl

I know others have given tutorials about how to pack a bowl of Tangiers Tobacco but it seems like people still are unable to get a good smoke from it. The following is what I do at home and identical to what Eric does with exception to the bowl size (mine being a medium).

First off you set your stall out. You'll need a fork, the tobacco, and head. After letting the tobacco acclimate stir it up very well. Once stirred correctly it will look like the image below.

Next you will pack the bowl. Use a fork and scoop the tobacco into it filling the entire bowl and above the rim slightly. Make sure the tobacco is touching all the way to the edges of the bowl.

Next you need to apply the foil. Place the piece of foil onto the bowl and press down with your hand creating an outline of the bowl and center hole. This will push the tobacco down slightly but it will fluff back up once you poke the holes.

Once you have the foil tightly wrapped onto the head you will next poke holes with a fork. As you can see from the first image I am using an oyster fork; it has slightly smaller prongs than a fork you would eat with. When making the hole I push all the way down to the bottom of the bowl (through the tobacco).

Once you have that done you are now ready to light the coals and get the rest of the hookah ready if you haven't already done so. As you can see below, I use the quick-light coals and four of them on a medium bowl.

Finally, set the coals onto the head as see below.

Enjoy!

-Matt

QUOTE (jfaltous @ Jan 21 2008, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question for all the tangiers-experienced users out there.... are the holes on a phunnel bowl better off as shown above, or with a bullseye pattern?

good question ... i usually see people do the bullseye thing, my phunnel comes tomorrow and hopefully i can get my hands on some tangiers in the near future and test this out.

When i smoked Tangiers out of my Standard Tangiers Head i used the hole pattern shown above.. havent tried that yet with the phunnel but next time i smoke i'll def try that. First i just needa get a oyster fork.. o.O

ok, so i just did this (still smoking, just started)

Small phunnel pack to same ammount (maybe a little less)

i'm usin 2 quarter pieces of an exotica with windcover (cause it was kinda thin without)

works great!

no throat tickle either with the tobacco that low.

and the pull is really really easy cause of all the holes!

Thanks Matt!

QUOTE (voski @ Jan 23 2008, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you pack the tobacco tight or just let it fall in? It looks like you packed it tight from the picture.

I'd say inbetween. I don't push it down tight but I don't just sprinkle it in either. I pack it so that it's fluffy and fills the entire bowl.

QUOTE (EternalSoil @ Jan 23 2008, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Matt!

Learned from the man himself so all thanks go to him!

nice pics!

that is exactly like Eric does it..

when you put the foil on, use your palm to push the foil in and then pull the sides and it will be tight and there will be the slightest space between the tobacco and foil. also i like how you used the big holes.. and lots of them!

QUOTE (ASUSEAN1 @ Jan 23 2008, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nice pics!

that is exactly like Eric does it..

when you put the foil on, use your palm to push the foil in and then pull the sides and it will be tight and there will be the slightest space between the tobacco and foil. also i like how you used the big holes.. and lots of them!

Exactly. I have gotten the tightest foil by doing it this way. The holes are excellent, I use a wind cover with the second set of coals when they have about 40 minute or so left. I have been setting it up like this since my last post here. Great job again.

Anyone want to help with suggestions on my heat management? I know I packed this bowl perfectly (med phunnel from MNH), so its a question of holes and coals:

That's 1/3 pieces of exoticas on there... I tried that for a while, then tried just a single 1/3 piece... it produces great taste and potentially great smoke, its just it gives me that tickle in the back of my throat and I can't inhale much at a time. Suggestions? I was thinking maybe trying 2 1/4 pieces, or even Japanese Easy-Lites...

Try your japanese coals on their first and use 4 of them. If you get a good smoke then you know it's heat issues with your other coals. Personally I would put more and larger holes in your foil with less coal than in your photo.