Getting Screwed By Exotic Imports

All I have to say is what happened to Mushrat sucks. I know how much he liked those coals. As a matter of fact Mushrat is the one who got me into Exoticas. Now they might be losing customers but as far as I'm concerned Mush gained customers for them as well.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Snoopy1966 @ Jan 19 2008, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok I work as a Metal Fabricator. Sometime we get very busy and we have to out source some of our jobs to other local companies to keep up with the demand of the Customer. When we get the parts from the other companies, they go through QA(Quality assurance) they check out ALL the parts to make sure they are good. Does it take more time on our part...yes of course, but the end line here is that the customer gets a quality part and no complaints. I have many other stories like this as well being in a manufacturing business for all my working career. Like I posted before and others have now just posted as well. That WHOLE container we be FUBARED. If they wanted to make sure some were good, they should have gone through a 100% inspection. To ship out damaged cases like they did is very irresponsible. More time for them.. yes again, but the end line again, quality and no complaints. Is it is worth the time, yes it is. If we sent out crap parts to a customer, do you think we would get their business back, highly doubtful. Or we would be on double secret triple probation. Bottom line here, they did not take necessary precautions to ensure a good product and as it was stated 100% was accounted for and no more bad coals got out, I think you are very wrong here. Not I think, I know. I have proof of purchase, and 3 boxes of shit coals out of 7, not a good ratio IMO. To blame cold weather on my bad coals was another no no.

Also I forgot to mention the day I was lighting these bad coals, my apartment manager came to my door and asked me what in the world I was doing in my apartment. I live on the 3rd floor and he lives on the basement floor, so do you think I am wrong here when the smell goes that far in my building? I also stated when I left that day and came back home, my apartment smell like a BBQ. So I think that answers your doubts Bulldog.

Some of these coals could have looked A-OK and still had humidity damage. The only way to know for sure would have been to burn one to know, and even if you did burn one from every box you would still assume the risk that there may be bad coals in the box somewhere. Did you see how big that container was? I saw at LEAST 100 cases on that wall ALONE. 100 cases times 10 boxes per case = 1000 boxes to be hand checked. I can guarantee you that there were more than that. You dont hand check each piece of a bulk mass produced product. It's a waste of time, you take one box per case and check it. If it looks good, you let it go. If not, you withhold the case. I work at FedEx and when you run 70-80,000 packages every 12 hours through the building, you dont hand check each one to make sure the contents are alright. You might check one or two hundred at the very most, the QA the ones that look like they're totaled. In a perfect world this shit wouldnt happen, but it did. Gabe tried to rectify the situation like a manufacturer would when his product is getting abandoned en mass because of a freak accident. You really think customers would pay to have the coals shipped back? Doubtful at BEST. If Gabe had said, send them back, we'll check them and replace them as needed. 9/10 times that wouldnt happen and the customer would say "fuck you I'm not paying to send them back, thats like paying for it twice! I can just flame the product instead." So he just absorbed the blow and sent out free coals to every person who made a claim. Then people took advantage. I'm sorry, but it's really hard for me to just abandon a guy who got shafted in this situation big time. Over reaction? Maybe, but I retract to my previous post. Would you really be ready to watch a product you spent a lot of time perfecting get dumped on and poorly reviewed because of something that was out of your hands? Then on top of that shell out a shit load of money to try to make things right and still have dissatisfaction.

He may well have had legal right to sue for defamation. Look up the definition of defamation.

"In law, defamation is the communication of a statement that makes a false claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may harm the reputation of an individual, business, product, group, government or nation. Most jurisdictions allow legal actions, civil and/or criminal, to deter various kinds of defamation and retaliate against groundless criticism."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slander_and_libel

Was Mushrat somehow defaming Exotica or Exotic Imports? No. But others were or did when they made false claims of their coals being bad then flaming or contributing to the flaming of Exotic Imports when they didnt get what they wanted (free coals). So when Gabe sent out a PRIVATE message saying "Look, there are no longer bad coals out there. As far as we know, the amount of coals we shipped out free matches the amount that we brought in that were bad. Quit the flaming or action can be taken." But that wasnt the case. When they knew that they had fucked up in sending out free coals to everyone who filed a claim, they were pissed, and had a right to be. Now they are getting double-fucked by being banned from the very forums they were highly touted in for several months. This situation should be worked out and a very good product shouldnt be relagated to being shitty because of an accident. I still say look at the multiple reviews of Exotica coals giving it 9s and 10s out of a possible 10 rating and tell me that you arent ready to take a small risk (or NO RISK in the case of H-S) that you could (in theory) still receive bad coals. I'll call you a liar.

i agree with you on parts of what you said bulldog.

i know you were not directing this to me but i never have recieved bad coals and refused free ones from a vendor.

i argued both sides of the argument. and as far as mushrats claim, he kept it between him and gabe until gabe decided to screw him (i'm not saying either is at fault because i wasn't there to hear it or see the bad coals)

the ban had nothing to do with the coals. he was banned because people like me reported him for advertisement which is agains the forum rules. it was his choice to do this.

as far as defamation goes, the only ones who coule get caught up in this were those who did not recieve bad coals or did not know what was going on with them and decided to say they were bad too.

i love these coals and even though i said i might switch, i dont know yet, i have 3 boxes to go through to make that decision. other people will continue to purchase them because they are such great coals! if the problem is all over and all this shit is resolved i will more than likely continue to use them.

Interesting... I guess I'll wait for the coco-whatever coals, just because I don't feel like getting a bad batch whilst paying 30$+ dog sled shipping.

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Jan 19 2008, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok I work as a Metal Fabricator. Sometime we get very busy and we have to out source some of our jobs to other local companies to keep up with the demand of the Customer. When we get the parts from the other companies, they go through QA(Quality assurance) they check out ALL the parts to make sure they are good. Does it take more time on our part...yes of course, but the end line here is that the customer gets a quality part and no complaints. I have many other stories like this as well being in a manufacturing business for all my working career. Like I posted before and others have now just posted as well. That WHOLE container we be FUBARED. If they wanted to make sure some were good, they should have gone through a 100% inspection. To ship out damaged cases like they did is very irresponsible. More time for them.. yes again, but the end line again, quality and no complaints. Is it is worth the time, yes it is. If we sent out crap parts to a customer, do you think we would get their business back, highly doubtful. Or we would be on double secret triple probation. Bottom line here, they did not take necessary precautions to ensure a good product and as it was stated 100% was accounted for and no more bad coals got out, I think you are very wrong here. Not I think, I know. I have proof of purchase, and 3 boxes of shit coals out of 7, not a good ratio IMO. To blame cold weather on my bad coals was another no no.

Also I forgot to mention the day I was lighting these bad coals, my apartment manager came to my door and asked me what in the world I was doing in my apartment. I live on the 3rd floor and he lives on the basement floor, so do you think I am wrong here when the smell goes that far in my building? I also stated when I left that day and came back home, my apartment smell like a BBQ. So I think that answers your doubts Bulldog.

Some of these coals could have looked A-OK and still had humidity damage. The only way to know for sure would have been to burn one to know, and even if you did burn one from every box you would still assume the risk that there may be bad coals in the box somewhere. Did you see how big that container was? I saw at LEAST 100 cases on that wall ALONE. 100 cases times 10 boxes per case = 1000 boxes to be hand checked. I can guarantee you that there were more than that. You dont hand check each piece of a bulk mass produced product. It's a waste of time, you take one box per case and check it. If it looks good, you let it go. If not, you withhold the case. I work at FedEx and when you run 70-80,000 packages every 12 hours through the building, you dont hand check each one to make sure the contents are alright. You might check one or two hundred at the very most, the QA the ones that look like they're totaled. In a perfect world this shit wouldnt happen, but it did. Gabe tried to rectify the situation like a manufacturer would when his product is getting abandoned en mass because of a freak accident. You really think customers would pay to have the coals shipped back? Doubtful at BEST. If Gabe had said, send them back, we'll check them and replace them as needed. 9/10 times that wouldnt happen and the customer would say "fuck you I'm not paying to send them back, thats like paying for it twice! I can just flame the product instead." So he just absorbed the blow and sent out free coals to every person who made a claim. Then people took advantage. I'm sorry, but it's really hard for me to just abandon a guy who got shafted in this situation big time. Over reaction? Maybe, but I retract to my previous post. Would you really be ready to watch a product you spent a lot of time perfecting get dumped on and poorly reviewed because of something that was out of your hands? Then on top of that shell out a shit load of money to try to make things right and still have dissatisfaction.

He may well have had legal right to sue for defamation. Look up the definition of defamation.

"In law, defamation is the communication of a statement that makes a false claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may harm the reputation of an individual, business, product, group, government or nation. Most jurisdictions allow legal actions, civil and/or criminal, to deter various kinds of defamation and retaliate against groundless criticism."

Was Mushrat somehow defaming Exotica or Exotic Imports? No. But others were or did when they made false claims of their coals being bad then flaming or contributing to the flaming of Exotic Imports when they didnt get what they wanted (free coals). So when Gabe sent out a PRIVATE message saying "Look, there are no longer bad coals out there. As far as we know, the amount of coals we shipped out free matches the amount that we brought in that were bad. Quit the flaming or action can be taken." But that wasnt the case. When they knew that they had fucked up in sending out free coals to everyone who filed a claim, they were pissed, and had a right to be. Now they are getting double-fucked by being banned from the very forums they were highly touted in for several months. This situation should be worked out and a very good product shouldnt be relagated to being shitty because of an accident. I still say look at the multiple reviews of Exotica coals giving it 9s and 10s out of a possible 10 rating and tell me that you arent ready to take a small risk (or NO RISK in the case of H-S) that you could (in theory) still receive bad coals. I'll call you a liar.

The thing many of you are missing because you are mostly just posting without bothering, is that Gabe called ME about a month or so aop when I first posted I was having issues with the exoticas. We spoke, I told him I had purchased 8 cases, and so far they cases I had used were all bad. He said to me, I'll send you 3 cases now, let me know how many others are bad when you find out and i'll make good on them as well." He also put up the thread about what happened, how it happend, how they missed a layer because they didn't think they had been damaged, etc...THEN evryone and his grandmother suddenly had a bad batch. We had worked this out quite gentlemanly at the time. I even posted in my original thread about the coals that gabe was making good and everything was coo. I'll find the thread if you wish. My complaint is that even though I was one of the FIRST to report it (he'd mentioned hearing a problem from a local lounge as well). We worded it out, then he reneged on that promise when I finally told him I had the rest of the batch being bad and if he could to please just send 3 more cases.

Now, remember, I bought 8. He sent 2, not the 3 promised, which I never mentioned to him btw until this recent shit, I asked for 3 more, so I was going to eat the other 3 boxes of bad coal and just get 5 replaced. So i wasn't even asking for a full replacement, how many of you ordered 3 boxes but only asked for 2 boxes to be replaced hmm? THATS when I got the messege from him about feeling cheated by everyone, offed me a deal on a PALLET of the things, 50 CASES, and offered to send me ONE more case in 3-4 weeks. So, I have the PM's. Oh, and it isn't slander/,libel, etc if what you write is TRUE, no matter how bad it makes a company look. read what I wrote in all the thread, I said this happend to ME. I'M not going to buy anymore, switching to Nours, and on several occasions, in several threads, said if you get them from a reputable dealer they should still be ok.

So where did anything *I* said constitute slander/libel/defamation? Not what he SAYS I said, but what is actually written in the posts. Too many of you are not actually reading what was written, you are just reacting to what other people are saying or claimed I wrote. I mean, I can supply copies of the PM's and e-mails I sent to him if need be. I always CC myself and save and track PM's.

man, other people have written about getting screwed by companies without NEARLY this kind of interest from anyone else....

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Jan 19 2008, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some of these coals could have looked A-OK and still had humidity damage. The only way to know for sure would have been to burn one to know, and even if you did burn one from every box you would still assume the risk that there may be bad coals in the box somewhere. Did you see how big that container was? I saw at LEAST 100 cases on that wall ALONE. 100 cases times 10 boxes per case = 1000 boxes to be hand checked. I can guarantee you that there were more than that. You dont hand check each piece of a bulk mass produced product.

4 of the 6 boxes I received were visibly damaged on the outside. Moreover, no one is saying that it was unreasonable for Gabe to send the coals out... it's that he saw factual evidence of bad coals and still denied replacements, that people are turning away from his product.

QUOTE (Bulldog)
Gabe tried to rectify the situation like a manufacturer would when his product is getting abandoned en mass because of a freak accident. You really think customers would pay to have the coals shipped back? Doubtful at BEST. If Gabe had said, send them back, we'll check them and replace them as needed. 9/10 times that wouldnt happen and the customer would say "fuck you I'm not paying to send them back, thats like paying for it twice! I can just flame the product instead." So he just absorbed the blow and sent out free coals to every person who made a claim.

What information are you using to come to these conclusions?

I offered to pay the full cost of shipping my coals back to him AND him shipping the new ones here, because it was still a better deal than buying 6 boxes again, and he refused.

QUOTE (Bulldog)
I'm sorry, but it's really hard for me to just abandon a guy who got shafted in this situation big time.

He got shafted small-time because his container got into a storm which he was liable for.

He got shafted big-time because he tossed his loyal customers away to pinch a few pennies and cut losses.

QUOTE (Bulldog)

Can you find the key words?

QUOTE (Bulldog)
I still say look at the multiple reviews of Exotica coals giving it 9s and 10s out of a possible 10 rating and tell me that you arent ready to take a small risk (or NO RISK in the case of H-S) that you could (in theory) still receive bad coals. I'll call you a liar.

There's always a risk- even in the 4 good boxes I've had, at a minimum there is always at least 1/5 of the box that is not up to snuff- either it cracks while heating, or explodes randomly, or it heats hotter that normally. That's inconsistency, and generally that doesn't get reviewed. Moreover, even H-S is not going to replace your box in these cases.

I've heard even better things about coconut coals, though not from as many people... I'm going to give them a shot, and if they're as good as they're supposed to be (H-S, the company you spoke highly of, is jumping on board the S.S. Coconut), I'll go with a consistently 9/10 or 10/10 coal that isn't sold by someone that may or may not cheat me on any given transaction.

QUOTE (mushrat @ Jan 19 2008, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Jan 19 2008, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The thing many of you are missing because you are mostly just posting without bothering, is that Gabe called ME about a month or so aop when I first posted I was having issues with the exoticas. We spoke, I told him I had purchased 8 cases, and so far they cases I had used were all bad. He said to me, I'll send you 3 cases now, let me know how many others are bad when you find out and i'll make good on them as well." He also put up the thread about what happened, how it happend, how they missed a layer because they didn't think they had been damaged, etc...THEN evryone and his grandmother suddenly had a bad batch. We had worked this out quite gentlemanly at the time. I even posted in my original thread about the coals that gabe was making good and everything was coo. I'll find the thread if you wish. My complaint is that even though I was one of the FIRST to report it (he'd mentioned hearing a problem from a local lounge as well). We worded it out, then he reneged on that promise when I finally told him I had the rest of the batch being bad and if he could to please just send 3 more cases.

Now, remember, I bought 8. He sent 2, not the 3 promised, which I never mentioned to him btw until this recent shit, I asked for 3 more, so I was going to eat the other 3 boxes of bad coal and just get 5 replaced. So i wasn't even asking for a full replacement, how many of you ordered 3 boxes but only asked for 2 boxes to be replaced hmm? THATS when I got the messege from him about feeling cheated by everyone, offed me a deal on a PALLET of the things, 50 CASES, and offered to send me ONE more case in 3-4 weeks. So, I have the PM's. Oh, and it isn't slander/,libel, etc if what you write is TRUE, no matter how bad it makes a company look. read what I wrote in all the thread, I said this happend to ME. I'M not going to buy anymore, switching to Nours, and on several occasions, in several threads, said if you get them from a reputable dealer they should still be ok.

So where did anything *I* said constitute slander/libel/defamation? Not what he SAYS I said, but what is actually written in the posts. Too many of you are not actually reading what was written, you are just reacting to what other people are saying or claimed I wrote. I mean, I can supply copies of the PM's and e-mails I sent to him if need be. I always CC myself and save and track PM's.

man, other people have written about getting screwed by companies without NEARLY this kind of interest from anyone else....

How can you fault the manufacturer for something that happened without his knowledge? It wasnt as a result of bad manufacturing, it was a result of a leaky container. I think he should have handled the situation differently, but that's looking back. Some have tried to make it seem like the quality of the product has gone downhill, which it hasnt. I'm sure Gabe is getting tons of emails about this crap every day that someone else gets a bad batch of coals from a vendor. Quite frankly, I would be a little stressed out.

Mush, read my post again more closely. I said you WERENT defaming him. I said others were when they were posting groundlessly about the "downhill slide" in coal quality or about jumping on top of him after hearing about this.

All he had to do was get pictures sent of the bad coals, or have his customers send the bad ones to him, with pre-paid shipping.

As to groundless posts about declining quality of the coals... my first two "Good boxes" were much more consistent than my second two "Good boxes". In my second two, over 1/5 of each box was inconsistent in some way. I haven't made any comments on the coals' declining quality, but I will report again when I receive my next, and probably final two boxes from H-S.

Gaia...how is he responsible for something being shipped in a state that he couldnt change even if he wanted to? Should he not have gone through that shipping company even though they've probably been his shipper for a long time before this?

As far as Gabe sending the free coal, logic would conclude that no one would pay to have their bad coals shipped back and a new batch shipped to them. And from what Gabe posted, he thought he replaced them all. Maybe he was more surprised than we were in the sheer amount of product that was destroyed.

I didnt say your claim was false or untrue did I? I said he would have had a claim against people who were lying about his product and manufacturing quality as a whole.

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Jan 20 2008, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All he had to do was get pictures sent of the bad coals, or have his customers send the bad ones to him, with pre-paid shipping.

As to groundless posts about declining quality of the coals... my first two "Good boxes" were much more consistent than my second two "Good boxes". In my second two, over 1/5 of each box was inconsistent in some way. I haven't made any comments on the coals' declining quality, but I will report again when I receive my next, and probably final two boxes from H-S.

Some of them probably didnt look bad. That is the problem. Humidity damage doesnt always show up visually.

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Jan 20 2008, 02:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Jan 20 2008, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some of them probably didnt look bad. That is the problem. Humidity damage doesnt always show up visually.

He could have tried lighting them upon receipt. Smell like a chemical waste dump? Send back new ones.

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Jan 20 2008, 02:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gaia...how is he responsible for something being shipped in a state that he couldnt change even if he wanted to? Should he not have gone through that shipping company even though they've probably been his shipper for a long time before this?

As far as Gabe sending the free coal, logic would conclude that no one would pay to have their bad coals shipped back and a new batch shipped to them. And from what Gabe posted, he thought he replaced them all. Maybe he was more surprised than we were in the sheer amount of product that was destroyed.

Bulldog, I didn't say he's responsible for the storm, I said that he was liable, and he still is. The customers can blame the vendor, the vendor can blame the supplier, but who does the supplier blame? God?

It's not just what Gabe has done (haphazardly shipped free coals to anyone that asked, then denied the people who actually received unusable coals), but how he has done it (blaming his customers, victimizing himself [this is like being found guilty and not being able to argue your innocence, then receiving the death penalty], and being an out-and-out douchebag about the whole situation).

QUOTE (Bulldog)
I didnt say your claim was false or untrue did I? I said he would have had a claim against people who were lying about his product and manufacturing quality as a whole.

I didn't think you were referring to my claim, I posted that in regard to Mush's, which is apparently under investigation for slander by people at "unknown locations" (I seriously can't help but crack up as I type that... I think Gabe honestly believes that he's in a Mission Impossible film).

So do you call me a liar then Bulldog? If so I will show you 3 bad boxes of coals and the receipts so I can prove it. You already have seen the picture here that I posted of the coals I received that are bad. I will be looking forward to this if you have called me a liar. wink.gif

Also I am not saying I got screwed by Exotic Imports. I got bad coals and that is the truth.

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Jan 20 2008, 03:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How can you fault the manufacturer for something that happened without his knowledge? It wasnt as a result of bad manufacturing, it was a result of a leaky container. I think he should have handled the situation differently, but that's looking back. Some have tried to make it seem like the quality of the product has gone downhill, which it hasnt. I'm sure Gabe is getting tons of emails about this crap every day that someone else gets a bad batch of coals from a vendor. Quite frankly, I would be a little stressed out.

Mush, read my post again more closely. I said you WERENT defaming him. I said others were when they were posting groundlessly about the "downhill slide" in coal quality or about jumping on top of him after hearing about this.

I know YOU said I wasn't. Others seem to have a differing opinion. cool.gif