Getting Screwed By Exotic Imports

So, soem of you may recall I was one of the first ones on the forum to post about the possible problems with exotica coal. I was contacted by Gabriel to explain the whole leaking container saga. He said, since I ordered 8 CASES he's send me 3 quick replacements and I should let him know how many other bad batches I got. He sent 2 replacement cases. I contacted him yesterday after finally getting to my unused cases and pulling out a box from each to test. I have atleast 3 more bad cases left, one thats questionable out of my original 8 case shipment.

So he contacts me back sayign since he was ripped off by more people claiming to have bad coals than cases that were actually sent out, he's going to send me 1 more case in the near future and that's it.

Now, I'm not like most of you home users who got a box or two, i bought 8 cases, 10 per case, 80 boxes, and almost all of them were damaged. Dry, crumbly, smelled terrible. So now, for trusting his product I am getting shafted. I spend over $140 in shipping alone to get these coals from AFonline in California and I will NOT be doing that again. I will be switching to NOur coals, which while more expensive have NEVER had a problem like this as far as anyone has reported. They may cost more but the quality is still consistant.

Nice job Gabriel.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Jan 18 2008, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's seriously weak. How much did you pay for the coals in total?

I'm just curious as to how much he's saving vs. the amount of business he's going to lose from you and from others via word of mouth.

as much as I'd like to, I don't give out wholesale info/pricing. Lets just say the 8 cases I buy every 2 months won't hurt him too badly, but his rep around here may not do too well.

And to think i defended his ass.

I guess that from an economic viewpoint, the smartest financial decision for him would have been to take at least one business course to learn how to make money... your customers are the ones paying you, hence they are keeping you in business, hence they are your employer and benefactor.

If I told my night-job employer that I was only going to play songs at my bar for 5/8ths of the night, I would probably get laughed at, and if I held my ground with conviction I'd be fired.

Wow I didn't see this one coming. Hopefully you can get this straighted out Mushy, although I will say that this incident may sway me from ordering Exoticas for the bar I'm in the process of opening.

Sorry for your troubles you had to endure there and for the assholes that were just trying to get a free ride and screwed many over by stating they had bad ones when they didnt...

Who wants to smoke a bowl? Edited by r1v3th3ad

my first box of exoticas so far have burned well and tasted good, but a few have been very brittle dry.gif in the two days ive tried them i had one shatter while holding a lit one, burning at least 10-15 holes straight through the carpet.

hopefully the coconut coals will be a better alternative. Edited by Tom16689

QUOTE (mathuv @ Jan 18 2008, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thats a shame :/ i think only natural charcoal you can trust is bulk coal tongue.gif (if you dont mind the odd one or two exploding once in a while tongue.gif )

Yeah but that's the fun part. It's like hookah roulette ( or maybe we could call it Arabic/Middle Eastern Roulette!).

But I digress...

I think I will still try exoticas once I get my own place, but I'll keep this in mind and only buy one box to start off with. Until then I'm stuck with QL's.

Sorry to hear that Mush. Guess I'll have to save some money and buy some coals from my local shop. They actually make their own coals in a triangle shape and are excellent. I'll get some pics up some time.

Exoticas: nice, but not worth it. Mush has too much power here rolleyes.gif

Yeah and i refused free coals because i figured my one box would help them get more to people like mush who need them to run a business.

looks like i might have to find another natural that i like...

kinda stinks cause i loved those coals...

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Jan 18 2008, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those coconut ones look pretty sweet, I think I'm going to order some for next month.

you mean the cococha coals? cuz those are great. they come in little cubes that are the perfect size. i got them from a german site: http://www.12moons.de/cococha-cocobrico-na...0040e5ae50a17a5

you can get nours at HC i believe, probably a few othe rplaces as well.

I'm looking foreward to trying to cocowhatever coals myself. I'd heard about them from a member in australia i think a long time back and been waiting to check them out if they ever hit the states.

one thing i noticed is everyone always gets on the same bandwagon. when people were into syrians everyone talked about them and such and bought them, then kms were in the picture, then MZ's, Tangiers, Exoticas, and now nours are in the picture..

i wonder how many people will actually stop buying exoticas and start buying nours now..

QUOTE (Canon @ Jan 18 2008, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
one thing i noticed is everyone always gets on the same bandwagon. when people were into syrians everyone talked about them and such and bought them, then kms were in the picture, then MZ's, Tangiers, Exoticas, and now nours are in the picture..

i wonder how many people will actually stop buying exoticas and start buying nours now..

I won't. I like 'em. However I guessed a dodged a bullet with the whole 'bad batch thing'