Can Smoking Hookah While Sick Prolong Sickness?

no, but it can irritate and dry out your throat, so be sure to drink plenty of water (don;t drink alcohol it will dehydrate you). Also don not take Nyquil and smoke tobacco that has a Nicotine level at .5% or more. smile.gif

Mint cools your throat but you should take 1 puff every 2 or 3 minutes (read a book or watch a movie to keep ou preoccupied); adding mint leaves, crushed, to the base will improve this feeling. Eucalyptus can also be used for a soothing Vick's-like effect.

Ohh and make sure to clean your hookah ouy wiht rubbing alcohol to kill the dirty rhino virus or whatever you have. wink.gif Edited by ZenSilk

QUOTE (ZenSilk @ Jan 13 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no, but it can irritate and dry out your throat, so be sure to drink plenty of water (don;t drink alcohol it will dehydrate you). Also don not take Nyquil and smoke tobacco that has a Nicotine level at .5% or more. smile.gif

Mint cools your throat but you should take 1 puff every 2 or 3 minutes (read a book or watch a movie to keep ou preoccupied); adding mint leaves, crushed, to the base will improve this feeling. Eucalyptus can also be used for a soothing Vick's-like effect.

Ohh and make sure to clean your hookah ouy wiht rubbing alcohol to kill the dirty rhino virus or whatever you have. wink.gif

it depends really on what you have and how bad it is...i have been sick the past few days..it just made my throat worst so i layed off for a while.

QUOTE (ams @ Jan 13 2008, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ZenSilk @ Jan 13 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ohh and make sure to clean your hookah ouy wiht rubbing alcohol to kill the dirty rhino virus or whatever you have. wink.gif

it depends really on what you have and how bad it is...i have been sick the past few days..it just made my throat worst so i layed off for a while.

Yeah, if you have goddamn strep than screw smoking.. you need to do this thing called Sleep. rolleyes.gif

yea i have larangitis. so i've had a really bad sore throat thats dry and making me cough a lot. i drank last night and since i was drinkning, i was smoking more than usual which gave me a headache and made it really hard to swallow. i'm guessing smoking isnt the best idea...

QUOTE (Egyptianboo @ Jan 13 2008, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yea i have larangitis. so i've had a really bad sore throat thats dry and making me cough a lot. i drank last night and since i was drinkning, i was smoking more than usual which gave me a headache and made it really hard to swallow. i'm guessing smoking isnt the best idea...

Yer. Time to be blunt. Smoking with Larangitis is not a good idea. Period.

JD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laryngitis

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12033743

Seems like Nicotine might have therapeutic potential as an anti-inflammatory agent. Laryngitis is an inflammation of the larynx. Grab some Tangiers/Nakhla and get smoking!

Hookahs and sick just don't mix, especially with throat related issues.

-QM

Be carefull to clean the shit out of your hookah when done. Dont want to get sick again just cause you smoke out of it while sick, get better, smoke out of it again and get the same shit XD

I smoke when I drink and while at school for the first semester of this year I was sick for about 2 months..

It would get better as the week went on then after a weekend of smoking cigs (before i got into hookah) I would be bad again. Cough was right back, just as harsh as before.

Now I realize cigs are much more harsh than a hookah, but I would stop just to be safe. You dont want to be sick for months like I was. Its hell

I got bronchitis and my doctor told me to stop smoking until it was gone or it would prolong it.... And i didn't stop smoking and it definitely prolonged it and even made it a little worse.... but i'm also guessing it all depends on what illness you have

Evan is spot on! I used to play the sax and had a flu that kept coming back. I was at the end of my rope when I realized the stupid reed in the mouthpiece stayed infected with germs and I kept reinfecting myself! So, yes, clean the s..t out of everything!

• 10 months later...
I know it's an old thread but.... Being sick sucks... Especially when you want to smoke hookah!!!! I have had some sinus/throat infection since Saturday and I'm hoping by Monday it will be gone. I've been taking Zicam so that's been keeping the symptoms down but I want to be well again before partaking.

Me too, I came back from my trip to TX feeling like I was going to get sick. I was using those Zicam swabs and yesterday i felt ok, i decided to smoke a bowl. today i woke feeling a bit worse. it wasn't a good idea. now, i mght have to go this weekend without smoking.

I dont see the big deal if it's pertinent, relevant info...

and people will always be germy lil boogers

I've been sick for 2 weeks with a sinus/throat infection and I gave in and smoked one night, woke up feeling worse than ever.

Freakin sucks.

i've been smoking the whole time i have a cough, usually i get better after about a few days but it's been a week now and i'm still no better... maybe i should stop smoking for a while...

i got fooled though, i smoked some mint and the cough went away after a couple of hours..... Edited by modisess

Rememeber, if i hadnt bumped that old phunnel-thread the mini-phunnel craze wouldnt have started........ wink.gif Ok, it would have but just later, haha, but really theres alot of good old threads with valuable info that is worth bumping, those who ignore history repeats it....ok that was cheeeeeeesy happy.gif

Smoking when you are sick will prolong sickness at least a little. your body will work to break down the carbon monoxide and nicotiene as well as your sickness.

Basicly it will split up the the shit in your body that removes unwanted compounds.