Europe

gaia.plateau

Hey howdy hey hi.

So my girlfriend and I are going to be "doing" Europe this summer for about 2 1/2 months, on a budget of about 2.5k not including flights. I'm paying for the booze, whores, and illegal substances, and she's paying for the rest. This is our route.

We'll probably be spending the most time in Barcelona, Amsterdam, Prague, and Venice. We're avoiding the UK as there's a possibility that we'll be moving to Scotland for a couple of years, and a probability that I'll be moving there if we aren't together in 2 years.

Does anyone have any tips, especially concerning good hookah bars? Ideas for good clubs, restaurants and hostels would also be greatly appreciated. I know that a lot of you members live in Europe but I'm not sure if any live along our route... but perhaps you've traveled there?

Thanks in advance.

QUOTE (PhishPhood @ Jan 7 2008, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm doin this after I graduate college. I'd love to get some advice from you after you do it...

Only advice I can give is dont watch the movie Hostile prior to going

From people I've talked to... In France and Germany especially... try to learn an Australian or Canadian accent tongue.gif

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Jan 7 2008, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're avoiding the UK as there's a possibility that we'll be moving to Scotland for a couple of years, and a probability that I'll be moving there if we aren't together in 2 years.

Unless you've already visited before, wouldn't it make sense to check the place out whilst you are in Europe just in case it's not a place you'd like to live?

QUOTE (mdl @ Jan 7 2008, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Jan 7 2008, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're avoiding the UK as there's a possibility that we'll be moving to Scotland for a couple of years, and a probability that I'll be moving there if we aren't together in 2 years.

Unless you've already visited before, wouldn't it make sense to check the place out whilst you are in Europe just in case it's not a place you'd like to live?

I've never really been a fan of sense.

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Jan 7 2008, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well that's lovely tongue.gif

Once JD gets no love!

Seriously though.... No Love at all.

Don't worry JD, when I'm living in the UK I'll come and visit you and give you plenty of lovin'.

QUOTE (jfaltous)
You don't necessarily need a Canadian accent, just throw a Canadian flag patch on your backpack. It makes a huge difference, believe me.

People have caught on tongue.gif wearing a Canadian flag whilst traveling is now an indication of being a dishonest American... I've heard this from French, British, Italian, Australian, German, and Hispanic people. Even Canadians have stopped wearing them because of this tongue.gif You ruined it for the rest of us!

Fortunately, we still have courtesy and cultural sensitivity to fall back on.

Tip for perfecting that Canadian accent... and I'm getting this mostly from Americans I've traveled with... try to subtlety make everything you say sound like a question. Apparently that's what we sound like. Edited by gaia.plateau

It's more about the inflection... it comes, I think, from never supposing or assuming anything about the person you're speaking to. You have to speak as though whether what you're saying is important or not is mostly up to whomever you're speaking to.

And I'm sure it varies by region, but in Central Canada we tend to say "yeah?" and "hey?" as much as "eh?"

Examples...

We're going to that orgy tomorrow, yeah?
That waitress is a total bitch, hey?
Fuckin' good beer, eh?

On the topic of the Canuck accent based on what I'm told of us. For the guys, don't forget to throw in a few dudes here and there. Most of all, try to sound relaxed and, well (for lack of a better word), humble. Only Torontonians and Albertans tend to speak with the loud and brashness of your typical American stereotype.

As for hostels:
www.hostelworld.com was a lifesaver for me.
Paris: Square Caulaincourt. Really clean, very affordable, and in the middle of the Montmartre area with awesome bakeries and cafés nearby.
Amsterdam: Aivengo Youth Hostel. Cheap, clean, youngish atmosphere, though about 20-30 people in the rooms. . . Bonus, it's across the street from the Bulldog Lounge cafe (where I spent most of my time) and about a ten minute walk from the Dam Square.

QUOTE (Uprising @ Jan 7 2008, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Amsterdam: Aivengo Youth Hostel. Cheap, clean, youngish atmosphere, though about 20-30 people in the rooms. . . Bonus, it's across the street from the Bulldog Lounge cafe (where I spent most of my time) and about a ten minute walk from the Dam Square.

the bulldog tries to screw over tourists. you should check out the greenhouse or the dampkring.

QUOTE (shisha fan @ Jan 7 2008, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Jan 8 2008, 02:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where are the best whores at? ...My girlfriend said to ask.

zeedijk (not that i`d know ofcourse smile.gif ), but they`re closing a lot of places down due to criminal ownership. but there are more interesting places in amsterdam than the whore houses.

tongue.gif that was 85% joke. But thanks biggrin.gif

Where would you recommend? We'd be particuarly interested in places with live music, interesting museums, "hole-in-the-wall" cafes, good pubs, and high energy night clubs.

That sounds awesome. My boyfriend and I are thinking of doing something like this in a few summers. I'm excited for you, haha! Let us know how it goes and what ended up being decent places to stay and such.

I like the sound of "Greenhouse" biggrin.gif

What sort of range would we be looking at for hostels there? I haven't picked up our Lonely Planets yet to know how they vary, but we're optimistically hoping to spend an average of $10-$20/night throughout the trip.

Well, good thing she's paying for it then. biggrin.gif

Alas, Guatemala. Gorgeous, lake and oceanfront villa-hostels for $1.50-$3.00 a night.

Hmmm I see a few for $25ish a night. That's for two people, I assume? Edited by gaia.plateau

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Jan 7 2008, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey howdy hey hi.

So my girlfriend and I are going to be "doing" Europe this summer for about 2 1/2 months, on a budget of about 2.5k not including flights. I'm paying for the booze, whores, and illegal substances, and she's paying for the rest. This is our route.

We'll probably be spending the most time in Barcelona, Amsterdam, Prague, and Venice. We're avoiding the UK as there's a possibility that we'll be moving to Scotland for a couple of years, and a probability that I'll be moving there if we aren't together in 2 years.

Does anyone have any tips, especially concerning good hookah bars? Ideas for good clubs, restaurants and hostels would also be greatly appreciated. I know that a lot of you members live in Europe but I'm not sure if any live along our route... but perhaps you've traveled there?

Thanks in advance.

I heard in spain it is very rare to see hookah bars or there shisha bars and i know that in italy they are illegal :/

QUOTE (moscowman891 @ Jan 8 2008, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I heard in spain it is very rare to see hookah bars or there shisha bars and i know that in italy they are illegal :/

Hmmm better look into it more Moscow. Hookah bars are a bigger fad in Spain than in America, and far bigger than in Canada. They're usually available in most coffeehouses called teterias.

Hookah bars are legal in Italy as long as it is the primary function of the business ~ it is illegal to sell ma'assel there, however.