The No-burn Bowl

krazycure

Most people have already figured this out/seen it/heard of it, but it helps to see it done.
And there are always newbs who have trouble in the beginning getting a good bowl of shisha down.

With this mod, you get a few big advantages:

1. Less dealing with 'heat management'. Drawn-in heat is 'buffered' before ever hitting the shisha. Guarantees vapor, no real smoke.
2. Less ash and embers falling directly onto the shisha. We all know how those embers can seriously mess a hit up and make it taste like ass, even if it doesn't ruin the whole bowl. Excess ash in the bowl itself can hinder airflow.
3. Resuseable. Most of the time, you're re-foiling every 2-3 bowls or less, but with this one you can use it 10+ times before having to remake it. Only takes ten minutes to make.
4. Longer sessions. The shisha lasts much longer when it is used with this. Normally, a person with a small bowl and no mod is going to get 30-45 minutes max and the last 10 minutes will taste -bad-. This will allow those 1-1 1/2 hour sessions we all hear about, with the flavor never getting 'crusty'.

Hope it helps someone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lakm9qmkdgc

Be Sure to heat treat it for 10 minutes on the stove before using it the first time to get rid of impurities! Edited by krazycure

I watched the video... but the music killed me.

The concept behind the whole foil construction works, but is it practical for us who don't have the time to spend half an hour setting a bowl up?

It's practical in that once you make it, you don't have to again for awhile. A half hour is... too long. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes total the first time, and less than 5 once you've made it. It is reuseable. And the music.. well that's why there is an audio slider on youtube I guess... but if you don't like pharcyde then something is....amiss.. Edited by krazycure

Well, I like to put some time in my preparation, but for me personally, this is a bit over the top.
But if this is working for you, maybe you could consider making a more reusable version (not aluminum foil?)

Also, what's whit the yellow from time to time?

Again, people, the TIME factor is only really an issue the first TIME you do it. Can you people really say that for one bowl to take 10-15 minutes to set up and then less than 5 for the next 10 bowls is too much of a time investment? You're honestly a little lazy if that's the case. It is VERY reuseable as long as the bottom screen doesn't come into contact with shisha much. Because the bulk of the mod is double foil and once made you don't do anything but slide it off and on (in addition to circling your finger over the rims), it lasts when you make it right.

The yellow is a fire effect I put in for no real reason whatsoever. Edited by krazycure

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So, you just cut open a soda can, poke holes in the top, and put it over the bowl like a canopy. Kind of like a diffuser but on the top, do i get that right?

A couple of notes:

Soda can may work but probably will not provide the level airtightness that molded foil will.

Once the coals on the top screen stop producing adequate heat because the buffering is taking too much out, you can take the coal and the top section off, then replace the coals on the lower section to extend the smoke time. By that time that shisha should have compressed enough that it sticking to the bottom screen will not be an issue.

I have heard PLENTY of criticism for this post, and that's fine. Please, though, try it ONCE before you completely poo-poo it. I think, at least, it's worth a try before you dismiss it's usefulness. 10 minutes of your time isn't exactly going to make you an old man any quicker. The whole "this takes too long" is the only criticism I can't understand at all. Hell, if you're using natural wood coals it takes that long to heat them up on the stove anyway. Please, just give the time factor complaint a break, because it has NO bearing. And needs simple construction??? My god, this isn't rocket science. If you can't handle molding some foil, you need to go back to school. Edited by krazycure

Lol, simmer down children.

Krazycure, thank you for putting together a video for those who are having difficulty with their hookah experience; even if it will only help one person, on behalf of the forum, I thank you.

As far as its cold acceptance, I'm afraid simper measures can be taken, but mainly by those of us who dare call them selfs veteran smokers. For starters, to avoid direct contact with heat, a larger (custom) bowl can be packed lighter; and to avoid embers, I use wood coals who's dust is only that. Smaller holes and cleaner coals would work too.

Again, thank you for adding to the community.

back to the soda can replys, i def, wasnt trying to put him down on him taking the time to mold foil. if anything, i respect him for actually taking the time to do so. I was just sayin that using a soda can is quicker and can basically do the same thing. as a fellow hookah smoker, i respect everyones experiments whether they fail or succeed. at least some if not most people on here try to bring something to the table.