How Much Do You Pay?

how much do you guys pay at your local hookah lounges? please specify where too smile.gif here in Malta i go to 2 hookah bars mainly. one costs $10 but you have to buy drinks so it comes more expensive but on the plus side they give me a wine pipe (wine in base) or a jack pipe (jack daniels/JB in base) at no extra charge.they use nakhla and unlimited natural coal. usually pretty good but one time it was harsh as hell after the coal went out 10 mins into the session and he replaced it. at the other bar its $13 and they use nakhla and 2 quicklights. not as good as with natural coal, still a little tickle in the throat and most flavours taste the same (could be because the hookahs arent cleaned as much as they should be) they have AF but i have a feeling its for the employees only wink.gif. the hookahs they use are 30'' or so egyptian handmade ones which cost about $50 here they also sell shisha and coal if you ask (depending if they have) but nobody buys, they figure "if this guy is willing to pay $13 for a bowl, he'll pay $17 for 250g or $10 for a roll of 10 coals"...but nobody does since you can get nakhla for $4 for 250g in Malta. since they use 2 quicklights its also kinda harsh after a while. anyone coming to malta in summer should definetly check out Plush or Zulu's its well worth it, just for the atmosphere. well enough about malta, what about you guys?

If I go to the hookah bars in the DC area I usually go to Fairouz (sp?) or the Babylon Futbol Cafe.

Fairouz has a lunch special where you can smoke AF with quicklights for 8 bucks a bowl which is pretty nice. At night it's 15 bucks a bowl and they will give you more coals at no charge and there is usually live music going on. The food is good and at a nice price (6-12 bucks depending on what you want to get). The usual pipe they use is a Mya acrylic.

Babylon is 15 dollars a bowl at any time of the day and they have AF and quicklights as well. THey use nicer pipes though, usually some very large Myas, bohemians and paragons. The atmosphere is really great though they have goltv and other soccer channels going on big screen tv's everywhere (even a big tv and couches where you can play fifa on the xbox), a bar, and have some great food at a decent price.

When I'm in the hampton roads area I occasionally go to Lazy Dayz. They have different prices $8-18 depending on the tobacco you choose (al amir, hookahhookah, layalina, tangiers, starbuzz priced in ascending order).

QUOTE (nicayotte @ Nov 29 2007, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
15.00 for up to 3 people, no cheaper for one and only te two coals that come with it(coals cost extra!), they are horrible avoid the bar 2 sweet in downtown Milwaukee

you have people limits?? here we usually split the price between 4-5 people and theres no limits, i once remember splitting a hookah between 9 people.

QUOTE (PirateNinja415 @ Nov 29 2007, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we have to have a $15 drink minimum, but they give us a hookah per 3 people. NYC's way too expensive

$15 drink minimum?! do you pay for the hookah?? when they make us buy drinks we piss them off and buy a glass of coke each (still $1.50 :@ ) or a bottle of water tongue.gif

QUOTE (mathuv @ Nov 29 2007, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (nicayotte @ Nov 29 2007, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
15.00 for up to 3 people, no cheaper for one and only te two coals that come with it(coals cost extra!), they are horrible avoid the bar 2 sweet in downtown Milwaukee

you have people limits?? here we usually split the price between 4-5 people and theres no limits, i once remember splitting a hookah between 9 people.

QUOTE (PirateNinja415 @ Nov 29 2007, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we have to have a $15 drink minimum, but they give us a hookah per 3 people. NYC's way too expensive

$15 drink minimum?! do you pay for the hookah?? when they make us buy drinks we piss them off and buy a glass of coke each (still $1.50 :@ ) or a bottle of water tongue.gif

they will provide the hookah for free, but they require you to order $15 of food or drinks, so i guess it's not really free.

one hookah bar 7.50 the shisha isnt that good, they use 3 natural coals, i want to say japanese. theres a 2 ppl per hookah maximum but they dont enforce that. the shisha does give you a nice buzz and it doesnt get harsh, they will replace the coals for you i think, i never asked because i was new to hookah when i went there.

the 2nd bar is 12.00 per bowl they use hookah hookah tobacco and some other type of tobacco. they use quick lights and put ice in the vase. unlimited coals and i do believe there is a bit of markup on the hookah depending on how many hoses you get, i dont know because i always request 1 hose (i dont know why, but i LOVE one hose hookahs)

#1 has louder music and is less of a social environment

#2 very social, its natural to try other peoples bowls here, alot of people i know go in and never by a bowl and just bum it off of others, i dont mind this because i do like going alone sometimes and let someone smoke off of my bowl whenever they want, and sometimes i go and dont wanna spend money and bum off of their bowl. #2 is worth the price.

Here in tampa the best known one, the Meridian hookah lounge, is$10 cover per person for the whole night, everything included, ie unlimited bowls, and coals. mondays and weds they have live music thats really really good Edited by btuner

The Aladdin Cafe here charges 12 bucks per 2 people and it goes up to 25 bucks (I'm assuming thats for premium shisha in a larger bowl). Unlimited coals. Pretty cool staff. Just watch out for the stick thin girl with the dyed hair and nose piercing, she can be a BITCH sometimes.

QUOTE (btuner @ Nov 29 2007, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here in tampa the best known one, the Meridian hookah lounge, is$10 cover per person for the whole night, everything included, ie unlimited bowls, and coals. mondays and weds they have live music thats really really good

Wow, that is a good deal.

At The Casbah in Jacksonville, FL, its $10 for a bowl with one flavor, and its $15 with a blend. They charge an extra $5 for milk in the base, and alot more than that for beer. Unlimited coals, no one hookah per person rule, and they have some pretty good food. They use 30" rotators, and they wobble alot. If you break the hookah, you have to pay for it.

I only go for the atmosphere.

haha, i remember theses threads, and everyone saying wow, thats so cheap, i wanna live in bklyn.lol.

well folks, ive seen prices start at 4 bux a hookah and now their up to 7$. another one charges 6$, and yet another 8$. of course mixing flavors/ juice in base/ orange bowl is extra.

I pay 5 dollars at a local place in Chicago. Awesome place, basically a sit down on the floor with some pillows, but traditional nice ones, and pretty calm dark, darklight lit scenery. It's 5 dollars per person and I believe a hookah per 2 or 3 people. Pretty awesome deal. Other places over here charge perhaps 7? Never have I gone to a place for 10. Just not worth it to me.

My dad on the other hand went to a hookah/club type place, at least 200-500 per person who walks out of that place. The food/drinks/hookah's/even sitting there and watching the band or belly dancer is all an expense!

QUOTE (smokehooka @ Dec 1 2007, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I pay 5 dollars at a local place in Chicago. Awesome place, basically a sit down on the floor with some pillows, but traditional nice ones, and pretty calm dark, darklight lit scenery. It's 5 dollars per person and I believe a hookah per 2 or 3 people. Pretty awesome deal. Other places over here charge perhaps 7? Never have I gone to a place for 10. Just not worth it to me.

wow $5 not bad. where i go i estimate it costs the hookah bar around $3 MAXIMUM to load a head (we're talkin about some shisha and 2 quicklights) so they make money. but then you have to take into consideration their other expenses like they have to earn back the money they used to set up the place before they can make a profit, thats why there are no dedicated hookah bars in malta, they'd go out of business. what we have is a club with between 1 and 3 african/arab (authenticity??) people runnin a hookah stall. there used to be a dedicated hookah bar in malta, again it was part of a hotel but it was really nice, a bedouin themed place (it was in fact called "Bedouin Bar" or something like that) and there were little gabbanas filled with pillows or else if they were full you could sit on a small table with low chairs. cost around $10 per bowl. imo they should have made people limits as it was common for 5-9 and even 10 (most i've ever seen was 12) people to share 1 hookah. unfortunatley, to my knowledge this place closed down and is only used for private functions.