1 Absent Minded Geiseric + 1 Forgotten, Broken Up Coal = Voided $400 Room Deposit

I just bought a cheap ass area rug for the living room of my apartment for accidental burns. At least with rugs your place can look nice but you never have to worry about the carpet underneath.

QUOTE (Foos @ Oct 30 2007, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just bought a cheap ass area rug for the living room of my apartment for accidental burns. At least with rugs your place can look nice but you never have to worry about the carpet underneath.

I still don't understand why the damage leads to you voiding the full $400! Are they actually going to replace the whole carpet to justify that? I doubt it. You should at least get as much as you can! Check up on them and make sure that the repairs they make actually requires even half of $400.

You haven't seen the carpet. Holes everywhere. They are pretty reasonable landlords.... But I'm not technically supposed to be burning things in my room... But its Minnesota and its too damn cold to smoke at night right now! As to the plastic melting... I know, but it would give met time to pick up the coal. I have built up enough burn scars and guitar playing callouses on my fingers that I can pick up a hot coal for 4-5 seconds before feeling it. I picked up a big chunk off the carpet last night and ran it to the bathroom and all I have to show for it is a small hole in the callous on my right thumb.

Last night I went and cut out the burned patches, filled the hole with plastic glue, and pushed the carpet in around it, and it looks a whole lot better. But I still have a 40mm bare spot right in the middle of the room. If I figure out how to clean that up, I will be in the clear.

BTW thanks to whoever cleared up my double post of this thread. Edited by Geiseric

ha ha ha! you are not alone, Geiseric!
Just yesterday i was breaking the coals (and i always break them after they have burned for about 10 minutes), and one small piece jumped right into my belly-button! YE-E-EAH! Imagine that! My luck was that i got it out real fast! Otherwise - would have a hole right to the spine!

QUOTE (Geiseric @ Oct 31 2007, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You haven't seen the carpet. Holes everywhere. They are pretty reasonable landlords.... But I'm not technically supposed to be burning things in my room... But its Minnesota and its too damn cold to smoke at night right now! As to the plastic melting... I know, but it would give met time to pick up the coal. I have built up enough burn scars and guitar playing callouses on my fingers that I can pick up a hot coal for 4-5 seconds before feeling it. I picked up a big chunk off the carpet last night and ran it to the bathroom and all I have to show for it is a small hole in the callous on my right thumb.

Last night I went and cut out the burned patches, filled the hole with plastic glue, and pushed the carpet in around it, and it looks a whole lot better. But I still have a 40mm bare spot right in the middle of the room. If I figure out how to clean that up, I will be in the clear.

BTW thanks to whoever cleared up my double post of this thread.

No problem, feel free to hit the "report" button for any double post with a messege to remove it in the future if you want.

As for your carpet, I'd do what's suggested here, cut a bit out of the closet.

I've been thinking of doing that. The one issue is I would have to get one of those carpet tacking things to tack it back into place after cutting off that bit, otherwise it would just peel up, and they would notice that because its a fairly new carpet. Thanks though, for your suggestions.

QUOTE (lemmiwinks @ Oct 31 2007, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's times like these I'm happy to have stone floors...

Where the hell do you live? In a castle? laugh.gif . I'm just kidding smile.gif. Uh i have tile floors so the only thing i gotta worry about my coals getting on is my pj's sad.gif, stupid coal burned a hole the size of a 50 cent coin sad.gif. Edited by Dekon