Coal Alternitives?

RasterBurner

after dropping one to many coals, and starting work on a hanging hookah, i decided that some source of heat other than coals would be awesome. so i turned up the music, headed to my garage. and came up with this.

my heating element is from an old soldering iron! you plug it in, and it heats up cherry red inside, the air traveling through the pipe is extremely hot. it has a simple wooden handle, the tip is form a DC motor salvaged from a cd drive, is has a hole drilled through it, and the original solder iron tip screws in to hold it all together!

basicly you would mount this over the shisha, in place of a coal. and seal it in with foil. sucking on the hose would pull air through this tube, superheating it, and giving you awesome smoke! it has worked so far, but i need to od more testing. my next project will be with an old toaster, reworking the heating element on that. and soon? ultimate eletric hookah. woot.

Wow that looks pretty sweet. Do you think you could post some more pics of it? Maybe like in action pics and stuff. But yea thats amazing, how did you think of something like that?

QUOTE (iamscott06 @ Oct 29 2007, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow that looks pretty sweet. Do you think you could post some more pics of it? Maybe like in action pics and stuff. But yea thats amazing, how did you think of something like that?

ya good point, ill see if i can get a video up or somethin!
im working on scratch building a hanging hookah, from my ceiling. and the though of coals up there, tuggin on a hose... falling... wasnt to good. so i started thinking of alternante heat sources! and electric was my best idea. (followed by propane buner. not that great of an idea.) so i took what i had and built this for a test! and soon a toaster.... hahah ya.

• 8 months later...
QUOTE (chsajid @ Jul 4 2008, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmm, that a good idea, you actually get electrical heat made for hookah, but its bad for your health, coal is not.

uhhhhh... you may want to think about that one again. Smoking is bad for your health.

So the implication I'm getting here is that you've devised a way to account for the heat fluctuation caused by air motion through the coals? ie, with a deeper draw, you'd get more hot air out of the tube, and while its idling or with a shallow draw, you get less heat?

• 8 months later...
I saw a discussion once about heating elements in place of a coal. They used to market one, but it wasn't successful, so they sold it as a coal lighter. The big problem was, like people said, coal heats up as air goes past it, so draws gain heat from the coal as they lose it from the air. If that seems to be a problem, you could rig a rheostat (something like a dimmer switch) in there somewhere, so you can adjust the heat manually.

A lot of people were also concerned about inhaling microscopic metal particles from the heating element, but I don't think that's really an issue. From what I understand, you'd be cutting down significantly on carbon monoxide by not using a coal.

• 3 months later...