Newbies Most Common Mistakes

I am not sure if this has been done, if it has forgive me.
BUT

I am new to Hookahism. and I know i probably make some stupid mistakes that I don't know about.
If all you wonderful veterans out there could maybe list some mistakes new comers most often make I think it would be a great asset to the Hookah Community. Plus maybe you'll realize a few things you forgot or did not know

QUOTE (newsman @ Oct 24 2007, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check the pinned topics. There is a section called new people FAQs devoted to newcomers on setting up hookas, coals, etc.

i realize that, but thats not always the same thing. its one thing to have FAQ because those are things new people kinda know about. i just thought it would be an idea to list some common mistakes that new comers and veterans alike make

I see. That may be a little difficult. I think it's better to list what you should do, rather than what you shouldn't. You can also get great responses when you present a problem and people tell you how to fix it, but if you just want a list of things not to do, you'll probably get suggestions like:

1. Don't drop burning coals on your rug.
2. Don't drink the water out of your base.

Don't lick your fingers after touching a quick lite coal. The black powder on them has salt peter (potassium nitrate) that, ingested, will make it impossible for you to get an erection. Seriously, its a chemical property and is toxic in that you cant use it....

Don't take a hit from an unwashed hose.

Edit : To clarify don't take a hit from a hose without the hookah bieng started (Tobacco in the bowl and coal lit). Trust me i had a bad taste in my mouth for about an hour. Edited by Dekon

QUOTE (MechAnt @ Oct 24 2007, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't lick your fingers after touching a quick lite coal. The black powder on them has salt peter (potassium nitrate) that, ingested, will make it impossible for you to get an erection. Seriously, its a chemical property and is toxic in that you cant use it....

Saltpeter can cause relaxation of involuntary muscle fiber (for which reason it's used to treat asthma) and it's occasionally prescribed to lower body temperature in cases of fever. From there it's not much of a leap to think that "niter," as it was called in the old days, might cure "sexual fever," and in fact a few doctors urged it for that purpose centuries ago.

From what I can tell the idea wasn't taken too seriously, but apparently sailors in the British navy leapt to conclusions when they learned that potassium nitrate was being used to preserve the meat used aboard their ships. Ever since the inmates of almost any large all-male institution, ranging from boarding schools to the army, have been convinced that the higher-ups were slipping the stuff into the mashed potatoes (or whatever) to cool the jets of the rank and file. During the world wars, for example, it was widely believed that government-issue cigarettes were soaked in saltpeter.

The truth is that even the most tyrannical general wouldn't inflict the stuff on his men if he expected them to be of any use--too many side effects. Among other things potassium nitrate can cause gastroenteritis (violent stomachache), high blood pressure, anemia, kidney disease, and general weakness and torpor. It also has an alarmingly depressive effect on the heart. Too strong a dose and not only would you not be able to get it up, chances are you wouldn't be able to get up, period. All in all, there's still no substitute for the cold shower.