Anyone Carry A Pistol?

mushrat

QUOTE (Amn_sinclair @ Sep 21 2009, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (FiveSpeedF150 @ Sep 21 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (.ryan @ Oct 22 2007, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...and many other armoured car/security companies, border guards, transit police, the military, nuclear security companies, hunters/trappers/other workers in remote areas, and anyone whose life is in imminent danger from another individual and cannot be sufficiently protected by police and can justify the use of a restricted firearm for personal protection.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is everybody.

I am a cop. Police are a reactive force. Meaning more often than not, they respond after a crime has been committed. In the real world, the only person who is entirely responsible for your own safety is you, police cannot protect everyone.

And for those of you who joke about "I'd want to shoot everyone if I carried a gun"... well, that's you, and you clearly aren't mature enough to be carrying one around. Just please, never ever assume that because you can't trust yourself with one, that nobody else should be able to defend themselves either.

Sorry if I stepped on any toes, it's a hot button issue for me. Mush - I carry a Beretta M9 at work, but it's a tank and not suited for concealed carry. The G19 and G26 pistols are very concealable and I am a fan, but their lack of an active safety makes them a poor choice in my eyes for a first carry weapon. Look at the springfield XD line as well, I hear good things.

This is exactly what needed to be said! Me being a military cop its the same way for us. The incident is usually over by the time we arrive on scene.
In regards to the safety feautures of a baretta 9, i myself would love to carry something smaller in size rather then have all the safety features. I only say this because we carry our weapon on fire with a round in the chamber. So imo whats the point in all the features if they arent being used. Just give me something that has the half cock like the baretta and ill be a happy.

And just to ask five speed. do u carry the wooden grip or black grip finished barettas and how do u arm with urs one in the chamber on safe?

Navy MP's carry round in the chamber, safety on. I like the glocks for carry, but I am comfortable knowing I can keep my booger hook off the bang switch. I recommend the XD's to people who would prefer much the same functionality, but an additional safety as well. To each their own, and all that. cool.gif

QUOTE (Amn_sinclair @ Sep 21 2009, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ur a navy mp? Master at arms right? im an air force mp(security forces) u train at the same place i did. I always enjoyed watching navy do their maace training

That was 2.5 years ago and my face still burns just thinking about it. smiley-angry021.gif

QUOTE (FiveSpeedF150 @ Sep 21 2009, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Amn_sinclair @ Sep 21 2009, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ur a navy mp? Master at arms right? im an air force mp(security forces) u train at the same place i did. I always enjoyed watching navy do their maace training

That was 2.5 years ago and my face still burns just thinking about it. smiley-angry021.gif

Lol i know how it feels to get maced lol actually was working security at a festival friday night and there was a figHt between some germans and one of them pulled mace and in the middle of tackling him to break it up i got a face full of it. Still managed to take hom down and apprehend him though. It was horrible lol i would honestly rather be hit with a taser again

I carry pepper spray too, by the way. Frequently stuff that in my pocket instead of strapping on the pistol. It's a lot lighter and much less deadly! Helps that I've watched some training videos on its use, pepper spray can be a pretty dangerous thing to use if you aren't careful and knowing how to wash it out of yours or someone else's eyes is a really good idea. The spray kept me from getting attacked by a pitbull one time and I was glad I had it on me and glad that I'd watched the videos and knew how to use it effectively. Even had the sense (thanks to the videos) to make sure I was aiming downwind. I was also glad that my only choice wasn't shooting the dog--although anyone who lets a dog trained to fight (this was a fighting dog, not someone's sweet pet pitbull) loose in the neighborhood shouldn't be surprised if their dog gets shot. The dog got out more than once, but he never slunk up on me again after that.

• 2 years later...
*DROOL*

http://www.cbrps.com/

[img]http://www.cbrps.com/Draco_left_front.jpg[/img]

Based on it's design they went for an end run around the classification.

It's classified as a pistol.

WE CAN CARRY THIS BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='ChicagoRSX' timestamp='1322844105' post='531346']
That has to be the most inaccurate ak. Wouldn't mind firing one, but I doubt it's very effective.
[/quote]

the site says they had better grouping with their version than the AK on it's own..

Forget the AK. I like the looks of their Ruger 1022 design. I love my little Ruger 1022 and have been thinking about customizing it. Google for 1022 customizations and you'll find that they can be made to look like just about anything.

As far as carrying a firearm, I carry a Taurus .45 and sometimes more. Some of the neighborhoods I work in aren't exactly safe.

My son-in-law is a gunsmith and collector, and he has several Springfield XD handguns. The ones I've shot are pretty nice. Maybe he'll give me one for Christmas. :)

oh come on its all about the phone .45
[img]http://www.davesdailydose.com/pics/u/y/cell_phone_gun_hand_nokia_mobile_guns_funny_humor_cool_haha_lol_rofl_smiles.jpg[/img]
u shoot em and dial 911 at the same time!

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1322865616' post='531400']
Forget the AK. I like the looks of their Ruger 1022 design. I love my little Ruger 1022 and have been thinking about customizing it. Google for 1022 customizations and you'll find that they can be made to look like just about anything.

As far as carrying a firearm, I carry a Taurus .45 and sometimes more. Some of the neighborhoods I work in aren't exactly safe.

My son-in-law is a gunsmith and collector, and he has several Springfield XD handguns. The ones I've shot are pretty nice. Maybe he'll give me one for Christmas. :)
[/quote]

I carry and XDm .40 Shoots amazing. Only missed one shot for a perfect score on my firing test for my permit, that's because I had already passsed and I started shooting left handed. Just outside the ring.

Springfield makes some accurate firearms.

my dad used to keep a glock with him when he was a lawyer before we moved out of indiana. he doesn't carry it anymore and sold it as my younger siblings were born. i can definitely see the use of having a pistol for safety, especially when you never know who you will see

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1322844424' post='531349']
That has to be the most inaccurate ak. Wouldn't mind firing one, but I doubt it's very effective.
[/quote]

the site says they had better grouping with their version than the AK on it's own..
[/quote]

Cause no one would over exaggerate to sell their product. After some practice, I'm sure someone could get good with it, but I'm talking your typical pick up and shoot in terms of accuracy.

To be honest I'm a lousy shot with a handgun. Can't hit the side of a barn from inside the barn! But at self-defense ranges, I'm deadly. Aiming at center of mass out to about 15 yards is a fairly easy shot.

I like to go shooting. I have a sig pistol. I also have a carry permit from the previous state I lived in, but it isn't recognized in minnesota and I've just not gotten around to getting it here.

[quote name='ChicagoRSX' timestamp='1322949495' post='531514']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Cause no one would over exaggerate to sell their product. After some practice, I'm sure someone could get good with it, but I'm talking your typical pick up and shoot in terms of accuracy.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm sure there's a bit of an exaggeration there, but have you ever shot an AK? they're not very accurate, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is more accurate. IDK Plus I'm sure the pistol version isn't accurate at all, but the rifle designs are probably very effective

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1323006583' post='531570']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, I'm sure there's a bit of an exaggeration there, but have you ever shot an AK? they're not very accurate, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is more accurate. IDK Plus I'm sure the pistol version isn't accurate at all, but the rifle designs are probably very effective
[/quote]

Yes, I have shot an AK, so how would taking a weapon system that uses a stock to reinforce the stability of the weapon and increase accuracy benefit from being converted to one handed operation? That's all I'm saying.

Although it's classified as a pistol, it's still got the same barrel length. It just looks shorter because of the bullpup design. I'm surprised they got it classified as a handgun. It wouldn't be that hard to add a front grip for two-handed firing.

The original AK's barrel was only 16.3" long, so it never was as accurate as longer rifles. That wasn't it's purpose.

[quote name='ChicagoRSX' timestamp='1323024444' post='531582']
[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1323006583' post='531570']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, I have shot an AK, so how would taking a weapon system that uses a stock to reinforce the stability of the weapon and increase accuracy benefit from being converted to one handed operation? That's all I'm saying.
[/quote]

I was refering to the other designs they have.. not the pistol version. they have 4 other versions for the AK all with stocks

I don't carry, for it is a little hard to acquire a C&C license in India, but I find it extremely ignorant and prejudiced when people hate on other people's rights to carry. Most people who do pack are actually responsible with it and contrary to the popular opinion, are not looking to just go out and get into a brawl just so they get an excuse to shoot someone. Just as someone mentioned in this thread earlier, that just because you have an accident insurance, it's not because you are just looking to get into that car and bang another on head on.

People who you should be afraid of having weapons don't go through a legal route for obtaining them, if you didn't know.

[quote name='laurencarreen' timestamp='1323267776' post='531989']
In the city where I live, I don;t think I know anybody to care a weapon. I think that they are dangerous and unnecessary.
[/quote]

While I can and will totally respect your opinion, that sentiment is false. A gun is no more dangerous then a car. But each one of us is entitled to our own opinion.
  • Upvote 3

[quote name='ChicagoRSX' timestamp='1323270140' post='531995']
In the city where I live, I don;t think I know anybody to care a weapon. I think that they are dangerous and unnecessary.
[/quote]

While I can and will totally respect your opinion, that sentiment is false. A gun is no more dangerous then a car. But each one of us is entitled to our own opinion.
[/quote]

Agreed.

If you hit someone with a car, you know what one of the charges added by the DA is... Assault with a Deadly Weapon. A car is a deadly weapon. Not always but they will if they don't like you (I am friends with an ADA)

Dangerous? Only if you are untrained on the weapon or have ill intent in using....just like a Car.... Why we don't let unlicensed drivers drive, and people that drive recklessly and use it with intent to harm, get prosecuted by the law.

Unnecessary? When impossible happens and evil is expelled from this world along with everyone going vegan. I will gladly give up my guns, until then I will protect my family.
  • Upvote 2

In the city where I live, I don;t think I know anybody to care a weapon. [u]I think that they are dangerous and unnecessary[/u].
[/quote]

that is just plain disconnected from reality. and honestly, the vast majority of the people who are carrying would not tell you. I have friends I've known for years, and was completely surprised to find out they were packing. I live in a moderately remote rural area, both tribal, and the sheriff have told me that response times in my area can be over an hour on good summer days, and if it's the middle of winter… To quote the sheriff… "The truth is, you're most likely going to be on your own."

as for being dangerous, if they weren't what exactly would that be good for? Paperweights?
  • Upvote 1