Anyone Carry A Pistol?

mushrat

1+ for the Springfield XD series. I personally carry the XD9 Sub-Compact. Fits my hand like a glove
and easy to conceal. I switch up between that and a Colt Commander 1911 .45 ACP.

QUOTE (mushrat @ Mar 24 2009, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (echotc @ Mar 23 2009, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My Concealed Carry Piece
.357 Magnum Taurus 5 shot

Nice! i carry a Taurus 5 shot .38 ultralite.

How is the kick on that? My carry round is a Federal Hydroshock which is a little painful to shoot, but not impossible. What is your carry round?

I can't legally get my CC yet, I have to be 21.

But when I do I'm getting a USP Tactical.

A lot of people think Seattle is "safe" because we're basically a bunch of yuppies, but a LOT of meth is produced and trafficked around here and we have malls that get shot up at least 2-3 times a year, not to mention we have a lot of young people who carry guns illegally.

I don't see carrying a weapon as a way to "feel safe" I see it as;

If someone takes out a firearm and starts shooting at people, or me I would rather be armed and ready to protect myself and other people. Then to be totally helpless because I assumed it could never happen to me. The same way I would rather have a lifevest on in a boat seeing how I can't swim. I don't feel un-safe in a boat otherwise, but I prefer knowing if something completely possible yet improbable were to happen that I am prepared.

I've seen people get shot, it isn't pleasant at all and I'm just going to go out on a limb and assume being shot/stabbed/mugged/murdered doesn't feel so pleasant either.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (PaperAlchemist @ Mar 26 2009, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But when I do I'm getting a USP Tactical.

I have pretty much the same motivations as you. Do not get a USP Tactical. A USP compact is big enough to carry concealed. It is doable, but I can't wait to get the money to grab a snubbie 357 or some pocket auto for the days where I don't want to strap the USP to my hip. I carry my USP whenever I can (not as often as I'd like since almost always when I am leaving the house I have to go to campus).

For anyone interested in using handguns in self defense, read Massad Ayoob's books, he is not just a firearms expert, but also a police officer...he provides a very valid and unique view on self-defense....and namely your responsibilities regarding your use of force.

I also reccomend extensive training...take some tactical shooting courses if you can. Force on force pistol training is great (they use airsoft pistols so you can actually go against a trained group, thus hands-on experience). It's pricey, but can be well worth it. What you'll learn is how to draw quickly, how to acquire a moving target quickly, and how to think clearly under pressure. These are things range training will NOT do.

Get that range time in as well...that's where you learn to get comfortable with the gun, as well as accurate. An accurate shooter is a safer shooter. Last thing we need is someone who bought a pistol and "bedstanded" it since using it and spraying bullets everywhere, possibly harming innocents behind walls and such.

And about wall penetration....frangible rounds....they are gold for defensive use. They will break down rapidly upon surface contact, making secondary penetration a non-issue.

I don't carry, but I do keep a pistol at home in case someone does break in. My apartment leaves no evacuation point in such a scenario, so I'd rather take my chances.

And to get it out of the way, playing airsoft is not training...very few airsofters are tactically trained (some are ex-military or police, but most are average joes)...so the only airsoft in training use should be in a tactical training session against other trained individuals. Edited by mustang_steve

QUOTE (mustang_steve @ Apr 15 2009, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also reccomend extensive training...take some tactical shooting courses if you can. Force on force pistol training is great (they use airsoft pistols so you can actually go against a trained group, thus hands-on experience). It's pricey, but can be well worth it. What you'll learn is how to draw quickly, how to acquire a moving target quickly, and how to think clearly under pressure. These are things range training will NOT do.

/disagree

You just have to know what you are doing.

QUOTE (Vladimir @ Apr 16 2009, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

/disagree

Doing these mentioned exercises, its probably assumed you have the general knowledge of to aim/fire a weapon properly.

I'm not sure if this has been asked yet because I didnt read the whole thread, but, how long does a CC permit last? I'm turning 21 in a few months and I would like to get a CC permit but I dont know if I have the funds to pick up a piece yet.

QUOTE (Karot @ Apr 16 2009, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet because I didnt read the whole thread, but, how long does a CC permit last? I'm turning 21 in a few months and I would like to get a CC permit but I dont know if I have the funds to pick up a piece yet.

Here in Washington I want to say it's 5 years? But you would have to look it up to be sure. Just google Washington State Concealed Permit Laws and you should get plenty of responses.

QUOTE (Vladimir @ Apr 16 2009, 03:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

/disagree

That's the rub...not all people know what they are doing in a high stress situation...they may think they do, but may not be taking in the entire situation like they need to in oder to make a rational and proper decision. Even police officers screw up in this manner, and they recieve far more training than the average CCW holder. That was my point, that just having the gun doesn't make one safer..it just enables them to fight back.....training is what makes one a safer fighter, it allows one to handle a situation better, and more effectively.

This holds true for any combat form, whether boxing, karate, guns, knives, etc...it's all a matter of skill, observation/quick thinking and confidence.

• 1 month later...
Yup, just did my second renewal for my CHL. Don't have to do it again for 5 years after this, if I remember correctly.

Hate my pistol, it's a .40 Taurus. The trigger is too hard for me. I always have to borrow a pistol from my instructor for the shooting portion! One instructor loaned me his 9mm Glock once, man, that was sweet!

I'm no gun freak, don't know much about them except common sense safety, where not to point them, how to load them, where the safety is, and that I want a Glock. Beyond that, I'm pretty much weapons illiterate.

• 3 months later...
nobody is carrying their guns here in cali with a cc sighned by the mayor of the city and chief of police. i've seen so many police reports with permits getting rejected. californians good luck.

alright so i just wanted to get my 2 cents in on this, while i dont have a conceal license i do carry a baretta 9mm for work. That is a well made gun i do wish though that we carried a .45 instead. A 9 mm aint gonna do shit to some one trippin on nh products like I said just my 2 cents

QUOTE (Amn_sinclair @ Sep 20 2009, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
alright so i just wanted to get my 2 cents in on this, while i dont have a conceal license i do carry a baretta 9mm for work. That is a well made gun i do wish though that we carried a .45 instead. A 9 mm aint gonna do shit to some one trippin on nh products like I said just my 2 cents

if you're allowed to load 9mm JHP +P+ ammo, the ballistics can be equal to a standard .40SW. Its still no .45 but .40sw is pretty good

QUOTE (omgitsjimmy @ Sep 20 2009, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Amn_sinclair @ Sep 20 2009, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you're allowed to load 9mm JHP +P+ ammo, the ballistics can be equal to a standard .40SW. Its still no .45 but .40sw is pretty good

Yeah we dont get fancy rounds like that we carry a standard nato 9mm ball round. But worse comes to worse, we always got the m4 with the 5.56 rounds

QUOTE (.ryan @ Oct 22 2007, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...and many other armoured car/security companies, border guards, transit police, the military, nuclear security companies, hunters/trappers/other workers in remote areas, and anyone whose life is in imminent danger from another individual and cannot be sufficiently protected by police and can justify the use of a restricted firearm for personal protection.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is everybody.

I am a cop. Police are a reactive force. Meaning more often than not, they respond after a crime has been committed. In the real world, the only person who is entirely responsible for your own safety is you, police cannot protect everyone.

And for those of you who joke about "I'd want to shoot everyone if I carried a gun"... well, that's you, and you clearly aren't mature enough to be carrying one around. Just please, never ever assume that because you can't trust yourself with one, that nobody else should be able to defend themselves either.

Sorry if I stepped on any toes, it's a hot button issue for me. Mush - I carry a Beretta M9 at work, but it's a tank and not suited for concealed carry. The G19 and G26 pistols are very concealable and I am a fan, but their lack of an active safety makes them a poor choice in my eyes for a first carry weapon. Look at the springfield XD line as well, I hear good things.

QUOTE (FiveSpeedF150 @ Sep 21 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (.ryan @ Oct 22 2007, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...and many other armoured car/security companies, border guards, transit police, the military, nuclear security companies, hunters/trappers/other workers in remote areas, and anyone whose life is in imminent danger from another individual and cannot be sufficiently protected by police and can justify the use of a restricted firearm for personal protection.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is everybody.

I am a cop. Police are a reactive force. Meaning more often than not, they respond after a crime has been committed. In the real world, the only person who is entirely responsible for your own safety is you, police cannot protect everyone.

And for those of you who joke about "I'd want to shoot everyone if I carried a gun"... well, that's you, and you clearly aren't mature enough to be carrying one around. Just please, never ever assume that because you can't trust yourself with one, that nobody else should be able to defend themselves either.

Sorry if I stepped on any toes, it's a hot button issue for me. Mush - I carry a Beretta M9 at work, but it's a tank and not suited for concealed carry. The G19 and G26 pistols are very concealable and I am a fan, but their lack of an active safety makes them a poor choice in my eyes for a first carry weapon. Look at the springfield XD line as well, I hear good things.

This is exactly what needed to be said! Me being a military cop its the same way for us. The incident is usually over by the time we arrive on scene.
In regards to the safety feautures of a baretta 9, i myself would love to carry something smaller in size rather then have all the safety features. I only say this because we carry our weapon on fire with a round in the chamber. So imo whats the point in all the features if they arent being used. Just give me something that has the half cock like the baretta and ill be a happy.

And just to ask five speed. do u carry the wooden grip or black grip finished barettas and how do u arm with urs one in the chamber on safe?