Anyone Carry A Pistol?

mushrat

I want to say. That anyone that carries should understand how to use their guns and second how not to let your attacker take you gun. As people said before, a gun is a tool, and tools can be used by anyone against anyone. Just be safe people because guns were designed to do one thing, to KILL . smile.gif

QUOTE (Molson @ Nov 6 2007, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you guys scare the hell out of me with all your guns. As for having one to be safe...sorry i dont agree with that at all. 5 guys come up to you asking for your wallet, you pull out your gun well guess what your 5 buddies robbing you probibly have to. Guns escalate any situation. In the UK i believe it is illigal to own a gun. Even cops dont carry em, look at their homicide rate compared to yours... sad.gif

sad to see it this way...

and for all of you who believe you need a weapon to feel safe.....maybe you should consider moving.

That my opinion...hoping not to get flamed to much

Naw, no flames, but if you are even in a situation where you or a loved one with you is in serious danger, you keep your dislike of guns in mind while you have to stand and watch the guy with even a knife have his way. dry.gif

And expecting a cop to come along in time...well...they are often kinda busy and probably not following you..so you are on you own kiddo. But I'm sure the criminals will take your moral objections to guns into consideration... rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (mushrat @ Nov 6 2007, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you guys scare the hell out of me with all your guns. As for having one to be safe...sorry i dont agree with that at all. 5 guys come up to you asking for your wallet, you pull out your gun well guess what your 5 buddies robbing you probibly have to. Guns escalate any situation. In the UK i believe it is illigal to own a gun. Even cops dont carry em, look at their homicide rate compared to yours... sad.gif

and for all of you who believe you need a weapon to feel safe.....maybe you should consider moving.

Naw, no flames, but if you are even in a situation where you or a loved one with you is in serious danger, you keep your dislike of guns in mind while you have to stand and watch the guy with even a knife have his way. dry.gif

And expecting a cop to come along in time...well...they are often kinda busy and probably not following you..so you are on you own kiddo. But I'm sure the criminals will take your moral objections to guns into consideration... rolleyes.gif

exactly. carrying a gun isnt just going to make me feel 'safer' because ive got one. at my size i feel pretty safe walking around most of the time even in DC, and carrying a gun is a lot of added responsibility to pay closer attention to your surroundings. i want one because it is one more tool i can use to protect the safety of myself and those with me if presented with a dire situation.

QUOTE (olooko @ Nov 5 2007, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to say. That anyone that carries should understand how to use their guns and second how not to let your attacker take you gun. As people said before, a gun is a tool, and tools can be used by anyone against anyone. Just be safe people because guns were designed to do one thing, to KILL . smile.gif

Unless they were designed for target shooting, or fun, or survival, etc.

QUOTE (ghostofdavid @ Nov 6 2007, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I mean the orginal concept. There are other things you can shoot that won't kill. ie paintball guns, airsoft.

You must have skipped over the whole thread but the original post. Someone already made the same comment as you and everyone properly responded to it. I already covered the homicide issue in the UK. You are very wrong about your point of them having next to nothing compared to us. On a second note, when you lack the ability to defend yourself from the people and your own government, you are now a "slave" to them. Why do you think Hitler took all guns from the German people? If you have no way to enforce your answer of "No" then how can you stop them.

Your example is not very thorough. wink.gif Carrying doesn't give you the ability to draw no matter what the situation is. You have to assess what is going on before you act. 5 attackers on 1 person when the attackers have no visible weapons gives you the ability to draw. 5 attackers on 1 person with one of them producing a knife still gives you the ability to draw. 5v1 with them having a gun, means you do not draw but comply. We don't have death wishes and its near impossible to out draw a BG who has a firearm in hand.

Guns do not escalate the situation. When a legal carrier has to draw it means the situation has already escalated to warrant its use. Why stand their helpless while some guy with knife can have his way with your wife/SO/sister if you have a tool on you to do something about it.

Moving on, the thought process of "if you feel unsafe then move" is what every anti gun person uses. What classifies feeling safe? Short answer is people claim their home. But you can't tell me you have never heard a noise at night and said "What the f*** was that" and search it out. Don't be closed minded and you will see what we see. 95% of this world is filled with people who can be processed as "sheep." Granted I am not a fan of these terms but they are easy enough to understand. Now with in these sheep are what we will call "wolves", these are your bad guys. "Sheep" are oblivious to wolves and everything around them. Walking around on cellphones doing their own thing with out a thought of what is going on around them, believing their little world is "safe". The percentage of people who carry guns choose not to be "sheep." Majority of us train for situational awareness, never take your eye off what is going on around you. Thugs want the people who are looking at the ground and chatting on their cell phone. They will never see whats coming at them. If you and plenty of others feel nothing will ever happen to you (and I don't doubt there is a chance you never will be bothered) then so be it. But as long as I am with friends and loved ones I will do everything in my power to make sure nothing does happen.

If you look at Virginia for example, 1 in 70 people have concealed carry permits. Now that doesn't even cover the people who choose to Open carry (no permit required) or law enforcement officers who carry (don't need permits). Just because we have guns does not mean a shooting is going to occur everyday.

And for everyone out there who tries to use Statistics for their argument. Please, please actually look at them properly. The US has a much larger population compared to the UK or other Euro countries. You need to understand something here. (EXAMPLE) Saying the UK has 18,000 murders a year compared to the US having 100,000 murders a year is not an equal ratio. The UK has 1/4 the population compared to the US. So if you actually look at those numbers properly you will see they are pretty much equal when you break them down murder per person.

Another note, I have not been carrying for too long now and have already become sick of giving reasonable answers to anti gun people. Breaking down why I carry and why others choose to. When I have become confronted with the question, I now reply with "Giving you a reasonable answer is a waste of my time as you have already made up your mind. If you wish to actually have a reasonable conversation then I will explain."

QUOTE (mushrat @ Nov 6 2007, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My woman's family is insanely anti-gun. Makes for fun table conversation, when I want to get out of there, I just bring up reloading, hunting, or worst of all... the last IPSC match. You would think I had just turned into the devil himself. Then I get to go home. Works for me! It's a long drive home, and by the time we have gotten here she is over being pissed.

I keep telling them to put a sign in their front yard that says "this is a gun-free residence" and see how long it takes for the crooks to show up. So far they haven't done that.

And really, let's look at the homicide rate in the UK, while we are at it, lets look at some other areas with gun bans, like Russia, Croatia, and Australia. Russia has NO private ownership at all, and the highest homicide rate in the world. Croatia, same, and second. Look at the immense spike in the homicide/violent crime rate in Australia after they installed a ban on private ownership. If this logic holds true what about the fact the lowest murder rates in Europe are the 2 most armed nations? ohmy.gif It doesn't hold up that having guns=murder.

The UK has the unique distinction of being a nation that disarmed police FIRST, then the populace. The only reason that worked was that the populace was first armed, then felt safe enough to give up those arms. That would NEVER work here, can you imagine any cop ever going unarmed? rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (ZenSilk @ Nov 6 2007, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh damn c'mon now guys, the forensic investigators atleast have to be able to ID the body! tongue.gif . There's no way anybody needs a .50 cal to protect themselves... other than me... for missionaries...

The missionaries can show up, and give you a speech on trusting your fellow man... all the while the thought going through your head is that your 1911 is pretty cold shoved in the back of your pants. smile.gif

It is against the law in allot of states to use .50BMG for hunting.

Not for the reason you would think. (Come on, I bet you were thinking to yourself, "of course it is you jerk, you have to leave enough of the animal to eat. Admit it, that was your thought.)

Nope, it's outlawed because the .50 is too prone to cause fatal wounding, but not a clean kill. it makes a nice clean 1/2" hole with an amazingly small amount of temp cavity damage. It is an anti-material round, not really worth a damn for hunting.

wounded missionaries would be just as good though. wink.gif

QUOTE (olooko @ Nov 7 2007, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I mean the orginal concept. There are other things you can shoot that won't kill. ie paintball guns, airsoft.

Between 1990, and 2000 there were 39 deaths from these things designed not to kill.

I can't see myself chasing off a bear or a crook with a paintball.
"Stop, or I will make you green"... just doesn't have a good ring for me.

QUOTE (camelflage @ Nov 6 2007, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mushrat @ Nov 6 2007, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

exactly. carrying a gun isnt just going to make me feel 'safer' because ive got one. at my size i feel pretty safe walking around most of the time even in DC, and carrying a gun is a lot of added responsibility to pay closer attention to your surroundings. i want one because it is one more tool i can use to protect the safety of myself and those with me if presented with a dire situation.

I think you have hit it spot-on. Really, if a firearm makes you "feel safer" there may some problems. It does in no way make me feel "safer". It does make me able to deal with a situation that would otherwise be life-threatening, in a more favorable manner. I think Mushrat is perfectly correct, it does make you feel a bit strange. Even after many years I still get that funny feeling in public. Edited by TheScotsman

QUOTE (TheScotsman @ Nov 7 2007, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Between 1990, and 2000 there were 39 deaths from these things designed not to kill.

Well there are plenty of dam things that can kill you that where not designed to kill, take cars for example. As far as paint ball guns and bears, who the hell would use a paint ball gun against the bear. You would want a really gun to stop the bear from killing you. Pretty sure you'll want a gun to kill the bear before it does the same to you. Which brings me back to my point of the purpose of the gun.

For what it's worth, my wife is steadfast against having a gun in the house. She had a cousin who was, for the most part, a career criminal. Spent lots of time in prison and whatnot. He would always tell me wife and in laws to not keep a gun in the house. When he would break in to a house, and the owner wasn't armed, they would leave them alone. If the owner had some type of gun, they would take it from him/her and turn the situation around, resulting in the occasional pistol-whipping.

He seemed truthful enough. I didn't know him from his dirtbag years, only the two years after he was last release from prison. He's dead btw. Not via handgun, but via internal bleeding from an air conditioner falling on him.

I'm torn on handguns. I know several people who have then, but really shouldn't. My brother carries a huge handgun in his vehicle, and sometimes on him. He has a crappy temper, and shouldn't have one at all. I'll bet a cousin of mine carries his handgun on occasion, too. He has a temper problem. And on top of that, he's easily scared and intimidated, with a resulting complex.

I have no point. I was raised around guns, and don't see a problem with some people carrying them. It's the people who, for personality reasons, shouldn't be carrying them that worry me.

I do not thing that carrying a pistol is a good idea, as, by having it around you, you are always, at least subconsciously, inviting a situation to use it. If you know its there you might feel the need to use it, when in reality, it might be better to use words. A person who I talked about getting a handgun said "If you pull a handgun out in any situation, you better be ready to kill somebody." This may seem a little alarming to some, but, it is the truth. If you are carrying a deadly weapon out, you best be able to handle the consequences that come with using it.

Anyways for in-home defense, which many feel it is alright to have a gun for, a shotgun is preferable.

QUOTE (HookahReviews @ Nov 8 2007, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do not thing that carrying a pistol is a good idea, as, by having it around you, you are always, at least subconsciously, inviting a situation to use it. If you know its there you might feel the need to use it, when in reality, it might be better to use words. A person who I talked about getting a handgun said "If you pull a handgun out in any situation, you better be ready to kill somebody." This may seem a little alarming to some, but, it is the truth. If you are carrying a deadly weapon out, you best be able to handle the consequences that come with using it.

Anyways for in-home defense, which many feel it is alright to have a gun for, a shotgun is preferable.

shot gun is much more intinadating than a hand gun, Shotgun filled with buck, how can you miss in a small space. Scarry thought

QUOTE (HookahReviews @ Nov 9 2007, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do not thing that carrying a pistol is a good idea, as, by having it around you, you are always, at least subconsciously, inviting a situation to use it. If you know its there you might feel the need to use it, when in reality, it might be better to use words.

I doubt this reasoning. As you stated, there are some pretty hefty consequences to drawing down on someone if it isn't warranted, and anyone of rational mind knows this. Also, carrying a weapon does tend to make you more aware of your surroundings and situation and you are LESS likely to put yourself in a situation where you would need to use force or even verbal arguing.

I have been carrying daily for six years and last I checked I had never drawn on anyone or shot anything besides paper targets.

QUOTE (Jonesy @ Oct 24 2007, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what would happen if some loony took it off me.

They dont know about it unless you draw it. Don't draw it unless you plan on immediately aiming and pulling the trigger. Guns aren't for "scaring away" badguys. They are for stopping them.

I ran across a quote once, I'll try not to butcher it too bad...
"People say only paranoid people carry guns. I've got a gun...what the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"
-Clint Eastwood

Springfield Armory GI Micro .45 (3")

Great site. Armed Citizen Success Stories section.
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/fo...isplay.php?f=58 Edited by NonstickRon

QUOTE (NonstickRon @ Nov 9 2007, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jonesy @ Oct 24 2007, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what would happen if some loony took it off me.

They dont know about it unless you draw it. Don't draw it unless you plan on immediately aiming and pulling the trigger. Guns aren't for "scaring away" badguys. They are for stopping them.

I ran across a quote once, I'll try not to butcher it too bad...
"People say only paranoid people carry guns. I've got a gun...what the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"
-Clint Eastwood

Springfield Armory GI Micro .45 (3")

Great site. Armed Citizen Success Stories section.
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/fo...isplay.php?f=58

Another Defensivecarry Member. Glad to see you made it here as well! biggrin.gif

How is the SA treating you? I have been pondering buying the 4inch GI and doing a custom carry build off of it.

QUOTE (olooko @ Nov 8 2007, 04:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well there are plenty of dam things that can kill you that where not designed to kill, take cars for example. As far as paint ball guns and bears, who the hell would use a paint ball gun against the bear. You would want a really gun to stop the bear from killing you. Pretty sure you'll want a gun to kill the bear before it does the same to you. Which brings me back to my point of the purpose of the gun.

The point I was trying to make, however poorly I did it, was that agun as a whole is not designed to kill people, it may, by name, or nature belong to a group of items designed with that potential. Nail guns are guns, paint ball guns are guns, and on the list goes. Some firearms are designed to kill people, but just because it's a firearm, doesn't mean it was designed with the purpose of killing people at any point in it's design. Auto-rifles, sub-magnum handguns, combat shotguns, machine guns, are all examples of weapons designed with the purpose of killing people. A 26" bbl'd bolt action lightweight was never designed with killing people in mind, it's a hunter. To just say guns were designed to kill people shows a lack of understanding of the whole concept of firearms.

QUOTE (Scheetz @ Nov 9 2007, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another Defensivecarry Member. Glad to see you made it here as well! biggrin.gif

How is the SA treating you? I have been pondering buying the 4inch GI and doing a custom carry build off of it.

Yep. I'm Nonstickron there too.

I had trouble with it when it was new. The 3" 1911s are notorious for being finicky though. I sent it in and they made it shoot like it should though. I've thought about getting a bunch of custom work done to it but now I'm torn between that and just selling it and buying something thats what I want "out-of-the-box." Gotta do something. The snubby little gripshift wears a hole in the web of my hand whenever I try to put 200-300 rnds through it. Either that or I need to toughen up my hands a bit, hehe.

As a side note to all you folks who are frightened by guns... GOOD. They ARE scary. You'd have to be dumb not to be scared of them. Someone who is 'casual' with guns is an accident waiting to happen. But don't let your fear make you foolish or rule your mind. Its not a snake that might bite you at any moment. Its a tool. Take proper precautions, have proper respect for the hazards, play it SMART. I continue to attempt to educate everyone I know about proper respect for and handling of firearms.

I also encourage them not to be 'casual' with powertools and propane bbq grills... rolleyes.gif Edited by NonstickRon

QUOTE (TheScotsman @ Nov 9 2007, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (olooko @ Nov 8 2007, 04:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The point I was trying to make, however poorly I did it, was that agun as a whole is not designed to kill people, it may, by name, or nature belong to a group of items designed with that potential. Nail guns are guns, paint ball guns are guns, and on the list goes. Some firearms are designed to kill people, but just because it's a firearm, doesn't mean it was designed with the purpose of killing people at any point in it's design. Auto-rifles, sub-magnum handguns, combat shotguns, machine guns, are all examples of weapons designed with the purpose of killing people. A 26" bbl'd bolt action lightweight was never designed with killing people in mind, it's a hunter. To just say guns were designed to kill people shows a lack of understanding of the whole concept of firearms.

Ahh but I didn't say killing people, I just said killing

QUOTE (HookahReviews @ Nov 9 2007, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would never use my handgun if someone broke into the house. For all practical purposes a handgun will take multiple rounds to stop someone. Lets be realistic its not like the movies where one shot in the chest kills the bad guy instantly. I carry a Kimber Pro carry evrey day, a .45 packs alot of punch but if i ever have to draw it, im emptying the entire mag into the attackers chest. However if the attacker is in my house, hes getting a 3inch magnum load of 000 Buck, followed up by a 3inch slug if need be.
Moral of the story is, if you want a gun for the soul purpose of home defence (and mabie some hunting?) stick with a shotgun (pump or autoloader your choice). On the note of home defence, the shorter the barrel the better, makes it easyer to use at close range.

QUOTE (HookahDude831 @ Nov 16 2007, 02:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yea, i have no chance of getting a CCW in california. its a joke.

Or a weed-eater with a gasoline engine, a leaf blower, a 2-stroke outboard, a generator, a wood pellet stove....
Gotta love kalifornia