Anyone Carry A Pistol?

mushrat

Yep...proud to carry. The 2nd Amendment secures all the others.

For everyday CC: Ruger P345 .45ACP with Winchester Ranger +P hollowpoints

When hiking or camping in the backcountry: Taurus .454 Casull 300gr softnose

And the last line of home defense: .75 Brown Bess replica .69 caliber lead ball

Hell, I could probably make a hookah out of my musket wink.gif

Ehorizon Edited by Ehorizon

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Oct 25 2007, 05:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jonesy @ Oct 25 2007, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would never feel safe in the states.
Not with all these people carrying guns ,has to be a bad idea.

I guess thats why you have situations like columbine etc, Im not talking about you fellows
that are responsible firearms holders, just the guys who might have a bad day and take it out on society.

This is the reality of it.

There have been times in my own life when i've been in situations where, if i had a firearm on me (or close to me), things might have taken a rather more dramatic and final turn.

Having said that, try walking around in South London anyways. It's more like the bronx was in the late 80's [or how the bronx was conveyed to us english folks]

JD

With all due respect, the U.K. is NOT a good example of the fallacy that no handguns=no violent crime. The U.K. banned and CONFISCATED privately owned handguns in 1997 (ten years ago). Now, as an island, the government should be able to control illegal firearms far better than many other countries....and yet you compare South London to part of New York City.

Has violent crime involving handguns increased or decreased since the U.K. ban?

As of 2001 (4 years after the ban), the BBC reported a 40% INCREASE in the use of handguns in crimes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1440764.stm

To broadly generalize: Most criminals are lazy. They want to take something of yours rather than work for it. The fact that you MIGHT be carrying a weapon, and be trained and prepared to use it, is a deterrent, just like an alarm system on your home. If law-abiding citizens are prevented from having a deterrent, criminals will no longer wonder if they will encounter deadly resistance when they try to mug/rape/kidnap/burglarize/home-invade, etc.

Personally, I'd much prefer to live in a world where I didn't have to think about such things. Unfortunately, I live in this time on planet Earth....so until we live in a perfect utopia, I will take responsibility for the safety of myself and my family.

Ehorizon

QUOTE (Ehorizon @ Oct 27 2007, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep...proud to carry. The 2nd Amendment secures all the others.

For everyday CC: Ruger P345 .45ACP with Winchester Ranger +P hollowpoints

When hiking or camping in the backcountry: Taurus .454 Casull 300gr softnose

And the last line of home defense: .75 Brown Bess replica .69 caliber lead ball

Hell, I could probably make a hookah out of my musket wink.gif

Ehorizon

ohmy.gif! Raging Bull!! (I played too much Rainbow Six Vegas smile.gif)

QUOTE (ZenSilk @ Oct 27 2007, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A Musket! haha no way. If someone was breaking in there is no way you could muzzle-load that thing in time. tongue.gif

And is that Raging Bull used to kill bears... or squirrels while your camping.

Actually, I can load and fire the Bess in 20 seconds...15 if I've been practicing regularly.

And yes, the Raging Bull is in case of bear....and because you never know when a rabid hippopotamus will leap out of a dark alley laugh.gif

Ehorizon

QUOTE (ZenSilk @ Oct 27 2007, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A Musket! haha no way. If someone was breaking in there is no way you could muzzle-load that thing in time. tongue.gif

And is that Raging Bull used to kill bears... or squirrels while your camping.

Load it? hell, I think he means to beat them into oblivion! The only reason those old buggers even have a front sight is to make it easier to hang on to that end as you swing it!

QUOTE (Scheetz @ Oct 25 2007, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
JD, are you able to support that claim by your newspapers? laugh.gif

100% True. However it's all most allways black on black violence over some arbitary bullshit.
That said. I would not go outside after dark in most of what you call London. Apart from the very
centre of london.

The UK has gone to hell. I'm just not sure that everyone walking around with firearms would solve the problems sad.gif

QUOTE ("Ehorizon")
With all due respect, the U.K. is NOT a good example of the fallacy that no handguns

With all due respect you did not understand any part of my post. Period. Please re-read it. I was not claiming the UK was a good example of anything.

I was claiming that with a firearm by my side, any number of given situations, could have gone very badly. Like having a flaming row with the wife.

Example. You walk in to your home to find your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend blowing your best friend.
Someone is going to wind up dead if your 'packing heat' ? Punishment hardly fits the crime.

JD

FOR CLARIFICATION :- I am, by no means, anti-firms. I would prefer to have home defence and I would like the option to carry personal protection. I'm just not sure it's a good idea given my example.

QUOTE (TheScotsman @ Oct 28 2007, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (shisha fan @ Oct 28 2007, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
anyone own a desert eagle .50 ? those things are like hand-cannons.

How about a .50 Browning Machine Gun chambered glock?

Imagine a pair of these in a shoulder rig?

but a glock is 9mm right? how can they swap parts?

That thing was a prototype that was never mass produced. Apparently the BATF didn't exactly like the concept of it and "suggested" never bringing it to market. One person who made kits and parts for a different .50 BMG handgun I think is doing time now courtesy of the BATF and their unconstitutional enforcement powers.

QUOTE (BrotherBuford @ Oct 29 2007, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That thing was a prototype that was never mass produced. Apparently the BATF didn't exactly like the concept of it and "suggested" never bringing it to market. One person who made kits and parts for a different .50 BMG handgun I think is doing time now courtesy of the BATF and their unconstitutional enforcement powers.

The problem the BATF had is with the concept of handgun, it would have to be over 50 caliber to be considered a destructive device. The problem the BATF had was with the fact that most of the surplus 50 caliber Browning ammunition is armor piercing. To build a handgun chamber for 50 caliber Browning would suddenly classify all of the surplus ammunition as destructive devices. No manufacturer wanted to be the one guilty of getting the surplus ammunition banned. To avoid this a handgun chamber than 50 caliber round would have to chamber around significantly different than the rifle round, technically the rifle round couldn't be chambered in handgun and function.

The Maddi-Griffin 50 caliber Browning and guns were sold as a "kit" requiring machining and assembly. If I remember right, the guy selling them was named Stewart. A federal judge decided to go back to the old Smith ruling, and call them "readily convertible", and not a kit. An unassembled kit would be legal to own, or in this case sell to a nonlicensed individual across state lines. But to be legal the kit would require significant machine work before assembly was possible. These kits was pretty much ready to go. Stewart did not get into trouble for a handgun, but he did get into trouble for the fact that when BATF showed up and kicked in his front door they found five unregistered machine guns, 1-M60, 1-M2Browning, 3-M16's... Yep that'll pretty much get you in trouble. I'm in no way saying we need more BATF jackboots, but on the other hand if you're going to do something is immensely stupid as this guy it's only a matter of time. I have held the class three license for many years, I can assure you the BATF is very close tabs on things categorized as "parts", and technically not regulated.

QUOTE (TheScotsman @ Oct 29 2007, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem the BATF had is with the concept of handgun, it would have to be over 50 caliber to be considered a destructive device. The problem the BATF had was with the fact that most of the surplus 50 caliber Browning ammunition is armor piercing. To build a handgun chamber for 50 caliber Browning would suddenly classify all of the surplus ammunition as destructive devices. No manufacturer wanted to be the one guilty of getting the surplus ammunition banned.

Which just goes to show how arbitrary many of the regulations are, pointless distinctions dreamed up by some DC pencil pushers.

I cancelled my NRA membership. all it seemed they wanted out of me was more money all the time. Plus the extra crap I started getting from their "affiliates." everything from decorative plates, greeting cards, insurance, I think they spent more on soliciting me for more money than I paid for my membership. Finally decided I could follow the issues myself and didn't need them riding my arse all the time. Edited by mushrat

I used to be an NRA member, but they seem to get soft a lot and get in bed with anti-gunners in Congress to secure "compromise". There is never compromise - we always lose and they always gain incremental gun control in a "compromise". They have nothing to lose to begin with - we have everything to lose. Play with the Devil, you get burned.

I am a member of the Virginia Citizens Defense League here in VA - now they know how to get things done, and they DO NOT compromise. They deal with state and local issues specifically, and have been instrumental in blocking gun control initiatives in VA as well as rolling back some prior bad laws. If there is a local official or town that is pulling some sort of crap, let them know and they'll be on them like white on rice. We can't get everything, but we can use the antigunner tactic of chipping away in increments, only in this case it is chipping away at bad laws until they seem politically safe to repeal instead of chipping away at rights until you lose them.

QUOTE (BrotherBuford @ Oct 30 2007, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to be an NRA member, but they seem to get soft a lot and get in bed with anti-gunners in Congress to secure "compromise". There is never compromise - we always lose and they always gain incremental gun control in a "compromise". They have nothing to lose to begin with - we have everything to lose. Play with the Devil, you get burned.

I am a member of the Virginia Citizens Defense League here in VA - now they know how to get things done, and they DO NOT compromise. They deal with state and local issues specifically, and have been instrumental in blocking gun control initiatives in VA as well as rolling back some prior bad laws. If there is a local official or town that is pulling some sort of crap, let them know and they'll be on them like white on rice. We can't get everything, but we can use the antigunner tactic of chipping away in increments, only in this case it is chipping away at bad laws until they seem politically safe to repeal instead of chipping away at rights until you lose them.

Excellent! smile.gif

QUOTE (mushrat @ Oct 29 2007, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cancelled my NRA membership. all it seemed they wanted out of me was more money all the time. Plus the extra crap I started getting from their "affiliates." everything from decorative plates, greeting cards, insurance, I think they spent more on soliciting me for more money than I paid for my membership. Finally decided I could follow the issues myself and didn't need them riding my arse all the time.

I dumped mine too... Well, told them to drop me from the rooster. I had paid for the lifetime affair, The lady on the phone didn't know what to say when I asked her if they would drop me, or if I had to die first rolleyes.gif .

They are doing little to help firearms rights, for that matter, they have caved in on about every issue they have faced in the last 10-12 years. But ya, if you want some nra Christmas cards, or an nra visa, and an embroidered satin jacket (who the hell wears those anymore?) all you need do is join... your mailbox will never again be empty! All I ever see in their info is hunting garbage, and the 2nd amendment has nothing to do with hunting! I had to laugh, the lady on their phones said they never sell their membership lists, but they had miss-spelled my name, and all the junk mail I started getting had the same error... don't sell their name lists, ya, right. wink.gif

you guys scare the hell out of me with all your guns. As for having one to be safe...sorry i dont agree with that at all. 5 guys come up to you asking for your wallet, you pull out your gun well guess what your 5 buddies robbing you probibly have to. Guns escalate any situation. In the UK i believe it is illigal to own a gun. Even cops dont carry em, look at their homicide rate compared to yours... sad.gif

sad to see it this way...

and for all of you who believe you need a weapon to feel safe.....maybe you should consider moving.

That my opinion...hoping not to get flamed to much

Ohh damn c'mon now guys, the forensic investigators atleast have to be able to ID the body! tongue.gif . There's no way anybody needs a .50 cal to protect themselves... other than me... for missionaries... Edited by ZenSilk