Acclimating Tangiers – Step By Step With Pictures

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Oct 17 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, that explains it! I was wondering why my sacrificial pig isn't working as well as it used too. I gotta try the lamb, now.

I heard seals work too... mocking.gif
QUOTE (r1v3th3ad @ Oct 18 2009, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I personally use a virgin for my acclimating...the intact hymen works wonders with humidity

I'm virgin, that means acclimating should work perfect for me...right? Quick! Everyone send me your Tangiers! mocking.gif

QUOTE (delSol_si @ Oct 18 2009, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, that explains it! I was wondering why my sacrificial pig isn't working as well as it used too. I gotta try the lamb, now.

I personally use a virgin for my acclimating...the intact hymen works wonders with humidity

I'm virgin, that means acclimating should work perfect for me...right? Quick! Everyone send me your Tangiers! mocking.gif

so you are admitting that you have an intact hymen then?
make me some maraschino cherry then dammit ohsnap1.gif

QUOTE (r1v3th3ad @ Oct 18 2009, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (delSol_si @ Oct 18 2009, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so you are admitting that you have an intact hymen then?
make me some maraschino cherry then dammit ohsnap1.gif

Yes...yes I do....if that means I get some Tangiers.

....guess I should read entire sentences instead of stopping half way through... scratch_one-s_head.gif

• 1 year later...
To resurrect the dead a little, going over some of the posts put in here, I do find that I get much better flavour when I 'acclimate' Soex.

My method is -

I remove the bags from the box and if it's not in a nice little brick, push everything into the bottom of the inner bag - juice and all. Sometimes the inner has split into the outer, but this isn't often.
I cut the outer and inner bags just above the brick and push the Soex into a KlipLok style pot (many types of these and I have many shapes and sizes) whereby there is at least double the space needed by the Soex available. (IE - 50g Soex = 100g tub)
I stir the Soex with a cocktail stick and then pop the lid on and shake. I then leave it in the pot for as long as possible before smoking, but each day I go and give the pots a shake and a stir.
I try to start smoking a Soex that all the juices have soaked into and this gives a much better flavour and smoke in my opinion.

I must state that I use traditional clay bowls and people using Phunnels may of course view this differently as the Phunnel holds juices nicely.

If possible, I do 'acclimate' the Soex further by preparing my bowl in advance before I smoke. I place my screen on top and leave the wind cover off. I do this as far in advance as I can, ranging from 'in the morning for an evening' to '15 mins before lighting coals'

Some flavours seem to 'acclimate' better than other - the mango and the blueberry flavours seem to take the longest so far.

This of course is just my 2c but I find it works really nicely for me.

(if a mod decides this should be somewhere else, so be it. I am a newbie and probably posted this in the wrong place.)