Acclimating Tangiers – Step By Step With Pictures

So this is what acclimating is!

Sorry for my ignorance but doesn't the shisha dry up? or maybe a little?

I wonder if the soex, al walah, and hookah hookah shisha needed to be acclimated? The humidity here is usually around 80% and we're always smoking outside but usually at night.
Is there a list of which brand/flavors that need acclimation or is there a way to tell if the shisha needs acclimating maybe just by looking or smelling it?

Awesome post though OP, this should help me and the other noob.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OMGWTFBBQ @ Oct 17 2007, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this is what acclimating is!

Sorry for my ignorance but doesn't the shisha dry up? or maybe a little?

No, you do not leave it out indefinitely. Just for about 6 hours then place it in an air tight container. This is just the initial fix so the flavor is right.

QUOTE (OMGWTFBBQ @ Oct 17 2007, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder if the soex, al walah, and hookah hookah shisha needed to be acclimated? The humidity here is usually around 80% and we're always smoking outside but usually at night.
Is there a list of which brand/flavors that need acclimation or is there a way to tell if the shisha needs acclimating maybe just by looking or smelling it?

You can aclimate any of them. Some will be noticably better tasting and smoking when acclimated then others. Starbuzz, Layalina and Tangiers are the main three I acclimate. The others its an option but I have not noticed a difference in smoke/taste quality.

Nahkla can use acclimation, too. Al Waha probably, too.

Looks good. Spreading it out will make it acclimate faster, true. Its most important to acclimate it when you first get it, after that, its a fine tuning thing or if the weather changes drastically.

I'm also noticing reports from people having trouble withe certain flavors, it gets "mushy" (No offense, Mushy!) and smokes and smells poorly. One of three things may be responsible, one, refrigerators, sinks, washing machines, heating vents may give off a lot of moisture/humidity that tend to send the tobacco off into humidity shock when its smoked somewhere not near the item in question. The second possibility is that some people don't stir it quite enough. The third possibility is that I make crummy tobacco laugh.gif. I don;t have these sorts of problems at my place, so it must be individual user/individual environmental issue. At least two people have indicated its more prevalent in the winter. If you have similar problems, it may be an acclimation problem...try storing your tobacco somewhere else.

How's everybody doing here? Good? Good.

smile.gif

zensilk and scheetz, thank you!

I'll try and just do it anyway, I recieved some havana shisha which looks really sticky, I'll do those first.
Thanks again guys Edited by OMGWTFBBQ

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the tip. It said something about that on the paper that came with the bag, but I pretty much ignored it. Should I still store it in the refrigerator, or does it constantly need to be exposed?

First i picked up a pack of tangiers lemon-lime. I couldn't get a single good pack out of it. I ended up mixing it in with other brands in very small quantities and it STILL was harsh as hell. I pretty much gave up on it and then read a good review about red tea. So i got that and gave it a shot. I think if i licked a dogs ass it would taste better than this stuff. So i'm reading this and I acclimated both packs of tangiers for awhile and it's still bad. I MAY get a thing of orage soda and try the spreading it out trick. Can somebody give me some words of hope for this stuff. Is it really that good? From what i've experienced, not so much. I also heard that a phunnel bowl makes a HUGE difference. I'm getting one for the first time since i've tried the tangiers and i'm wondering if that's gonna make a difference.

You can use Tangiers just fine with a regular bowl but the phunnel bowl does make a difference. Just pack the tobacco higher than your brain would tell you and don't pack it down hard.

QUOTE (Layla @ Jan 7 2008, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the tip. It said something about that on the paper that came with the bag, but I pretty much ignored it. Should I still store it in the refrigerator, or does it constantly need to be exposed?

Do not put it in the fridge, I put mine in a glad container. You need to let it acclimatre and stir it up a lot during the process. After a while you will know what flavors need more acclimation. After you take it out of the outwrap, smell the other bag, then you get an idea what it is supposed to smell like. Then when you put it in a container, you can smell if it changes when it hits the air. Some flavors I have found I only need very little acclimation time. Keep the lid on it after acclimation. Tangiers is that good. The flavors are the best, nothing compares!

• 1 year later...
QUOTE (r1v3th3ad @ Oct 17 2009, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (thevoiceofzeke @ Oct 17 2009, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All of the photobucket image links are broken =(.

thats because this is a zombie thread...really really old...lots of old threads have the photos dead

Can it be resurrected =(. I try to use the search engine instead of posting a thread about acclimating shisha but this is the only good one I got =/.

QUOTE (thevoiceofzeke @ Oct 18 2009, 03:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ha...I expected it to be a lot less literal. It's genuinely nothing short of acclimation, eh?

I figured it was just a term applied to a much more lengthy process (hence the need for tutorial threads). Oh well...=P

have you tried the lamb or virgin yet?

don't give up, theres hope for ya;)