Acclimating Tangiers – Step By Step With Pictures

Acclimating Tangiers Shisha
As many of you may know (and for those that don't) Tangiers needs acclimation. Everyone I know does it differently. I have my own way which I've found to be very effective and I'm posting it up here.

What is acclimation? Well you can find more in depth details throughout the forum but it is basically exposing the shisha to the air so that it reaches a level of "equilibrium" with the humidity. If you're going to smoke inside, acclimate it inside. If your going to smoke outside, then acclimate it outside. Not all shisha requires this but due to the nature of Tangiers, it's a must. In general you do it the first time you get the shisha before storing it. I also open my container and mix up the shisha for about 30 minutes every time before smoking it.

What if I don't acclimate it? Several things can happen. The most common is it smokes VERY harsh and little smoke is produced. Sometimes you get no to very little flavor.

How do I know I got it right? When your session is full of smoke and flavor. rolleyes.gif

Now everyone has their own time period they like acclimate. I do it for about 4 hours (sometimes 5) some people do it for up to 24 hours. The way I do it I think speeds up the process and you'll see why below.

First I cut open the bag (I did say this would be step by step)

I then get a sheet of foil about 12x12 inches and put the Tangiers Shisha on top. As you see it comes out as somewhat rectangular block.

Then I get the shisha and mix it up with the stick included with my tongs. I spread it out as much as possible

It's ready for acclimating when it looks something like this

Leave it out for a few hours and then store it away. You can mix it around every hour or so until complete.

Ever since I started doing it this way I noticed the acclimation took a lot less time then leaving it in the tangiers bag open or in my container. It also produced better results. Most people that acclimate tangiers just drop it in a jar and leave the jar open. I personally found my way more effective.

Let me know what you guys think.
Edited by RayVer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people have trouble setting it up correctly. I love tangiers, having never tasted black cherry I would still question if you were getting the flavor and smoke you could have if it was just "alright." Of course, I love the stuff, so maybe I'm biased. smile.gif

Yeah that's exactly what i was thinking. Orange Soda, it tastes JUST LIKE orange soda. Brambleberry, it tastes EXACTLY like blackberries, Horchata is exactly like horchata! Nectarine, it's mellower, like all nectarine flavors, and it's amazing. Mimon, tastes exactly like lemon and mint. Not overly sour bitter melon, not candy melon, but sweet lemon with a tingly cool mint. Black cherry tastes like black cherry.

Starbuzz has a lot of work to do before their flavors are that potent.

I dump mine into whatever ziploc bag I will keep it in. Leave the bag open for about 12 hours and whenever I head into the kitchen I mix the shisha up with a fork. Works fine and keeps the mess down. wink.gif

I'm confused on why your acclimating all your tangiers once? Do you only acclimate your tangiers once you recieve it? If so why? Last time I checked humidity changes from day to day so wouldn't acclmating all your tangiers at once be a waste of time?

Humidity does change from day to day but normally this change isn't too great in your house. Thats why I also let it acclimate 30 minutes before smoking.

I think the reason it needs a longer acclimatation at first is because usually all of us get our tangiers shipped from another place. When it arrives it gets "humidity shock" and we acclimate it to bring it back to balance..

oh another thing.. Doing it in the foil is not messy at all. Once your ready to put it in a container just bend the foil and drop down the shisha into the container. With one finger you can slide down all the juices and remaining small chunks of shisha.

QUOTE (spoolinspoon @ Oct 17 2007, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (camelflage @ Oct 17 2007, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah i just left the x-94-7 in the tub that eric sent it in, sits on top of my fridge all day.

shoot....I already did all the work before I left it at your crib!

oh nevermind then. my assistant acclimated it for me.

QUOTE (camelflage @ Oct 17 2007, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (spoolinspoon @ Oct 17 2007, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (camelflage @ Oct 17 2007, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah i just left the x-94-7 in the tub that eric sent it in, sits on top of my fridge all day.

shoot....I already did all the work before I left it at your crib!

oh nevermind then. my assistant acclimated it for me.

HAHAHAH. Don't try to take my credit!hahahahah