The Home Depot Hose

bobosap

Hello all, my name is Russ, but on fourms I go by tinman. I have snooped these boards long enough and decided to register. Im an avid smoker with two mya hookahs and one off brand. My hoses were trash so I searched and found this.
I also used Bufords idea and took his parts list to home depot. I found everything easily, but my problem is the hoses keep coming off the fittings. I checked everything ten times over to make sure I got the right stuff, which I did, but no luck. What gives, anyone else with this problem? Buford, its a great idea and works really well. Can you help me at all?

-Russ

Get a couple hose clamps, that'll hold them tight. You may want to wrap electrical tape around them once you've clamped them on though, they have rough edges.

The hose wasn't my idea - I just copied it and took note of what parts were needed. Edited by BrotherBuford

Well whoever the original idea belonged to, thank you. But I followed the exact way Buford made his. I was just curious if your hoses stayed on with no problem and if they kept coming off.

Thanks for your help.

-Russ

• 1 month later...
Today I did a similar mod to our house hookah. However, I chose to step it up a bit and make things easier for myself by throwing on a "quick disconnect" deal thats meant for air compressors. It's really great because it makes the hose way more secure, easier to put on, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easy to remove. Additionally, the quick disconnect when disconnected is sealed. This mod was motivated by the fact that 4 out of our 6 valve stems have snapped off the hookah and it was time for a solution. Right now we only have the one connection, but soon we will have all 4 of the damaged ports replaced with our new design.

The only thing that leaves me pondering is what to do about a mouthpiece. What brought me to these forums was to see what you all have done about custom hoses to get an idea of what to do. I would butcher our old hoses for a mouthpiece, however, I quite dislike pursing my lips for so long, so I'm trying to get creative. Any ideas?

Pics:

Gas mask stripped and fitted to the hose. Seal the 2 ports that usually have the filters attached to them and punch a hole in the center close to how large the diameter of the hose is but barely smaller. Once the hose is put in it should be air tight, but if it isnt add a little bit of pipe glue or rubber cement around the outside of the mask where the hose is attached. Hope it works for you. Edited by Bulldog_916

• 2 months later...
I was just at home depot today and the 1/2" nipple alone costs 8 dollars and the roll of 1/2" hose comes close to 7dollars. Once you pick up the rest of the fittings you are close to $20. At that price a nammor seems like a good investment. But i have another idea in mind will post it if I get it working!

QUOTE (Tikhman @ Feb 17 2008, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't use a nipple. use a brass or nylon barbed fitting. They are usually under $3 each, obviously plastic would be cheaper then brass. also, they hose you buy is 10 feet long, you can easily cut that in half.

The nipple is the 1/2" pipe used for the handle. Not the barb at the end

i do like the hose idea thats a good one to make it f'n 20 feet long, lazyness at its prime. the quick connect it sweet i'll have to try that if i ever feel like making my own hookah.