Alcohol + Hookah = Not Fun?

QUOTE (hookahfeign123 @ Sep 10 2007, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a question relating alcohol and hookah at the same time. It seems to me when ever I drink enough to be nice a drunk, then do a lot of hookah, I always get sick and throw up. I am wondering if it is related to the hookah becuase when I just drink, I don't get sick, and maybe just a little hung over. Also is it just me, or is it when you do hookah (not even with alcohol) that sometimes you feel like shit after you are done smoking. Not sure what to make of all this. Although I love smoking out of the hookah, the after effects seem not worth it after a great night of partying.

Well, let's see..... After the day I had I'm sitting here on my 3rd shot of tequila with my 2nd Dos Equis to back it, with a bowl of Tangiers Apricot Spring Blend going. When it comes to intoxication and subsequent sickness, I'm practically immune. I've never gotten sick off either alcohol or hookah....... But I do hear it happens to some. If you can't find a way around, you may just have to accept you can't do both at the same time.

'Rani

I'm not sure how this ridiculous old wives tale of "swallowing" the smoke came around, but I definitely try to avoid smoking hookah when I am mildly intoxicated or drunk. Here are my reasons:

1. You don't notice as much when it is burning, and end up inhaling lots of sickening smoke = upset stomach
2. You or anyone else are more apt to knock the hookah / coals over
3. You don't take as many breaths when in between puffs and get higher amounts of asphyxiation
4. The nicotine / asphyxiation increases the effect of alcohol greatly, and makes it tough to track how drunk you should be vs. how much you've had to drink
5. You can't really enjoy the flavors as much

I threw up a few months ago when smoking hookah, and it was the second time I had ever thrown up (from drinking or otherwise) in my entire life. It was definitely because of the hookah and alcohol combination, because alcohol alone has never had that effect on me.

QUOTE (Allia22 @ Sep 11 2007, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When doing my coal management my shaky klutziness just knocks the coal right off the bowl, sending it flying past the tray and directly onto the carpet. Thinking back on these occasions, I'm wondering why I use such excessive force to drunkenly move coals around o_O

Once again...

Me = Pyrotechnical Nightmare biggrin.gif

wait, whats the thing im thinking of..... oh yeah. COMBO BOWL.
tongue.gif

I've swallowed smoke before.
It's not a "wives' tale."
I took a drag of a crappy cigar and for some reason swallowed the smoke instead of inhaling it.
I was coughing for half an hour.

It sucks.
I've never swallowed hub smoke before, though.

Man, I knew something was wrong when me and my friend threw up after a party! We drank the most at the party and smoked quite a bit of shisha and throughout the party we were feeling good but then afterward, we were throwing up our stomaches. I drank half of the large bottle of Jose Cuervo by myself and a quarter of Skyy. No more Jose, Patron only from now on. To sweeten the whole deal off, I didn't eat since 6 hrs prior to the party. Normally that amount of alcohol would make me buzz HARD but not induce vomiting in me but there was something after hitting the hookah that got me feeling bad. The day after wasnt too nice to me neither.

Nicotine thins your blood, making the alcohol get into your system that much faster. That's probably got something to do with it.
  • Upvote 1

QUOTE (hookahfeign123 @ Sep 10 2007, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a question relating alcohol and hookah at the same time. It seems to me when ever I drink enough to be nice a drunk, then do a lot of hookah, I always get sick and throw up. I am wondering if it is related to the hookah because when I just drink, I don't get sick, and maybe just a little hung over. Also is it just me, or is it when you do hookah (not even with alcohol) that sometimes you feel like shit after you are done smoking. Not sure what to make of all this. Although I love smoking out of the hookah, the after effects seem not worth it after a great night of partying.

for me its the opposite... when i drink i need nicotine either a cigarette or some hookah

QUOTE (Cheese// @ Sep 12 2007, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've swallowed smoke before.
It's not a "wives' tale."
I took a drag of a crappy cigar and for some reason swallowed the smoke instead of inhaling it.
I was coughing for half an hour.

It sucks.
I've never swallowed hub smoke before, though.

Before you read my post, let me tell you that I'm not trying to be cynical or an asshole or anything. No offense intended.

It doesn't make any sense to me why you'd be coughing if you swallowed smoke. Swallowing smoke would mean that smoke was in your stomach. Cough reflexes occur when your lungs are irritated, and have nothing to do with your stomach. It sounds to me like you inhaled a crappy cigar in a weird way and started coughing, then coughed from the coughing.

In any case, it's not a big deal and I'm going to drop it.