Do You Tip At Hookah Bars?

depends on the service. If someone just plops down the hookah, doesn't tend to the coals at all, makes me get them when the coal dies or is getting too small to use, then no. But, the hookah bar that i normally frequent is great...good service, they know how to pack a bowl, overall good, so i usually tip them 2 or 3 bucks.

QUOTE (leadpipecinch21 @ Sep 5 2007, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
depends on the service. If someone just plops down the hookah, doesn't tend to the coals at all, makes me get them when the coal dies or is getting too small to use, then no. But, the hookah bar that i normally frequent is great...good service, they know how to pack a bowl, overall good, so i usually tip them 2 or 3 bucks.

hey man, what bar do you usually go to?

I never tip.

Food, no food, snacks, no snacks, doesnt matter, i dont tip.

If you look at your bill, they add a gratuity charge 90% of the time, plus, shisha is always over priced compared to home...lol

And the service....enough said.

QUOTE (camelflage @ Sep 5 2007, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (leadpipecinch21 @ Sep 5 2007, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it's a bar called sahara's in Richmond(i go to VCU, but my parents live in northern virginia, so that's why i'm up there a lot). Definitely quality.

Bleh, please do tip...

It's more difficult than you think to tend a hookah you're not even smoking while you're taking care of a store and making drinks for people. Mebbe I'll get a buzzer that goes off every 15 minutes or so? *shrug*

I don't allow tipping in my establishment. In Europe, its considered weird to tip...its our job. There was a time when tipping was strictly prohibited in some places and only expected in the case of excellent service, above and beyond the reasonable duty of an employee. If you were drinking a cup of coffee in a restaurant I worked as a busboy in and I walked out and got you a newspaper, for instance. I think that is the proper place for tipping. Now its considered customary to tip...now its taxed, so tip amounts have gone up, then taxes go up, then tip amounts, a stupid cycle. That all being said, I tip quite generously. I think we should get away from it, but, c'est la vie.

If its a busy night and service is at least decent. I tend to tip also if its a slow night and crew actually interacts with me and my friends, I think that really shows they care.

• 2 years later...
[quote name='leadpipecinch21' date='05 September 2007 - 12:22 PM' timestamp='1189012938' post='154379']
QUOTE (camelflage @ Sep 5 2007, 08:41 AM) QUOTE (leadpipecinch21 @ Sep 5 2007, 11:18 AM) depends on the service. If someone just plops down the hookah, doesn't tend to the coals at all, makes me get them when the coal dies or is getting too small to use, then no. But, the hookah bar that i normally frequent is great...good service, they know how to pack a bowl, overall good, so i usually tip them 2 or 3 bucks.

it's a bar called sahara's in Richmond(i go to VCU, but my parents live in northern virginia, so that's why i'm up there a lot). Definitely quality.
[/quote]

lol, Sahara is the worst hookah bar in Richmond. The shisha is like... two years old and is stored in buckets.... so all the molasses runs to the bottom and the tobacco gets all dry. So... if you like smoking expired shisha, by allllll means go to Sahara.

I would know, I worked there for 2 years. And thanks for not tipping by the way. The 10% service charge does NOT go to the servers, it goes straight into the owners' pockets. Maybe next time you go to Sahara (god forbid, because Mezza and Oasis blows that place away) you'll give your server a tip. The servers dont make sh*t there, I didnt make sh*t there. Thats why I quit. Because too many kids like you come in, smoke for 3 hours, and give no tip.

Anyway, go to Mezza. Its right next to piccolas and Roxy Bar. It blows Sahara away. And its cheaper. No 10% service charge.
Also, theres Oasis on Broad street right next to Very Berry.
Both of those places are great. Cheaper than Sahara, and you're actually smoking out of real deal hookahs, not some pyrex crap that never gets cleaned. Trust me, I know.

And please... dont be a 'tard. Tip your server.

Saharas health code violations :they dont have 2010 on there for some reason. [url="http://www.city-data.com/va-restaurants/Sahara.html"]http://www.city-data.com/va-restaurants/Sahara.html[/url]
  • Upvote 1

I've never been to a hookah bar in the West that I liked, so have generally stopped going. As someone said, the hookahs are usually overpriced, not done well, and they fucking use instant light piece of shit trash coals. Tip my ass.

In the Middle East, tipping is not as common, but you get MUCH better stuff, and they know what they're doing, and cafes have dedicated hookah attendants. Additionally, nobody goes out JUST to smoke, so I'll tip a little bit when my bill comes for my drink, food, etc.

[quote name='KupoNugs' date='25 July 2010 - 10:04 PM' timestamp='1280113477' post='476319']
[quote name='leadpipecinch21' date='05 September 2007 - 12:22 PM' timestamp='1189012938' post='154379']
QUOTE (camelflage @ Sep 5 2007, 08:41 AM) QUOTE (leadpipecinch21 @ Sep 5 2007, 11:18 AM) depends on the service. If someone just plops down the hookah, doesn't tend to the coals at all, makes me get them when the coal dies or is getting too small to use, then no. But, the hookah bar that i normally frequent is great...good service, they know how to pack a bowl, overall good, so i usually tip them 2 or 3 bucks.

[/quote]

lol, Sahara is the worst hookah bar in Richmond. The shisha is like... two years old and is stored in buckets.... so all the molasses runs to the bottom and the tobacco gets all dry. So... if you like smoking expired shisha, by allllll means go to Sahara.

I would know, I worked there for 2 years. And thanks for not tipping by the way. The 10% service charge does NOT go to the servers, it goes straight into the owners' pockets. Maybe next time you go to Sahara (god forbid, because Mezza and Oasis blows that place away) you'll give your server a tip. The servers dont make sh*t there, I didnt make sh*t there. Thats why I quit. Because too many kids like you come in, smoke for 3 hours, and give no tip.

Anyway, go to Mezza. Its right next to piccolas and Roxy Bar. It blows Sahara away. And its cheaper. No 10% service charge.
Both of those places are great. Cheaper than Sahara, and you're actually smoking out of real deal hookahs, not some pyrex crap that never gets cleaned. Trust me, I know.

Saharas health code violations :they dont have 2010 on there for some reason. [url="http://www.city-data.com/va-restaurants/Sahara.html"]http://www.city-data...nts/Sahara.html[/url]
[/quote]

I hate comments like this. If a customer doesn't tip, its not the end of the world. If they give great service and don't get tipped, then thats bullshit, BUT just because they aren't getting paid very well is NOT a reason to give someone a tip. I give a tip based on service, not what the server makes.

If a server feels like they aren't getting paid enough, tips included, they need to find another job. If a server is getting seriously underpaid, that is the owner's problem, not the customer's. And it is NOT the customers fault the bullshit 10% service charge goes to the owner, that again, is the owner's fault.

And just to make the playing field even, I would like to say that I have worked as a server before, so I know how nice it is to get a good tip, but I never expect it unless I bust my ass to make sure they are getting great service. And just for the record, I made good tip money :) ...actually had a guy tip me $20 on a $80 tab. And I would like to say I generally tip good when I am out. usually 15-20% unless they suck, then usually 0-10%

The place I used to go to before I got my own was amazing. Sure, it was a tad bit expensive, but the owners came out and hung out with the customers and they were a really interesting old couple from Israel. we always tipped well for an amazing time, but it is just cheaper to smoke at my own house now, which is a little sad cause I miss those guys. lol

[quote name='delSol_si' date='25 July 2010 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1280117724' post='476335']
[quote name='KupoNugs' date='25 July 2010 - 10:04 PM' timestamp='1280113477' post='476319']

[/quote]

Saharas health code violations :they dont have 2010 on there for some reason. [url="http://www.city-data.com/va-restaurants/Sahara.html"]http://www.city-data...nts/Sahara.html[/url]
[/quote]

I hate comments like this. If a customer doesn't tip, its not the end of the world. If they give great service and don't get tipped, then thats bullshit, BUT just because they aren't getting paid very well is NOT a reason to give someone a tip. I give a tip based on service, not what the server makes.

If a server feels like they aren't getting paid enough, tips included, they need to find another job. If a server is getting seriously underpaid, that is the owner's problem, not the customer's. And it is NOT the customers fault the bullshit 10% service charge goes to the owner, that again, is the owner's fault.

And just to make the playing field even, I would like to say that I have worked as a server before, so I know how nice it is to get a good tip, but I never expect it unless I bust my ass to make sure they are getting great service. And just for the record, I made good tip money [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img] ...actually had a guy tip me $20 on a $80 tab. And I would like to say I generally tip good when I am out. usually 15-20% unless they suck, then usually 0-10%
[/quote]

Despite not getting paid fairly, I gave great customer service to every one of my customers. I was one of the only guy servers working there, So you may have known who I was. In fact, I was the only male server there for a LOOOOONG time.
I remembered any regular's name, and did my best to fill in the patches because the management was such a joke.
Most (not every) server busted their ass to make that place look good, and they got sh*t on by the customers and the management.
Any employee who gives a dissenting opinion is fired on the spot, just so you know. Samir has a ridculously bad anger control problem. And the "new" manager is a walking sexual harassment charge.
They pay the employees under the table, I dont know HOW they havent been reported to the Labor Department.

I know for a fact they've had numerous health department complaints, and have had to pay fines for such ( such as when a girl had someones gum inside the base of her hookah, from, guess what, a dirty pitcher filled with ice used to fill the hookah base)

I've had customers tell me straight up "we only come here because of you"
I knew the best blends, and made quality results out of that nakhla crap that they stock (which IS EXPIRED by the way)
I knew how to place the coals, and even chopped them up sometimes for some of the customers because they liked to cheech the bowls so hard and just leave afterwards.

Nevertheless, 50% or more of tables served, did not leave a tip simply because of the 10% service charge.
I heard WAY too many comments like "dont tip they add gratuity" which is total BS.
9.99 shouldnt come to 12.20, and 11.99 shouldnt come to 14.64, 3.00+ tax for a 20 oz soda. I could go on and on and on.....

Anyone who still works there, is there because they simply need the job and cant find one elsewhere. Or they're just too damn lazy.
I ended up getting into with the manager one night and peaced out. Got a $10.00 an hour job for a staffing agency and havent looked back since.

Boycott Sahara, it's a dump.

(SO glad I could revive this thread, TOOOO many people talking about how good Sahara is because they dont know about the other hookah bars.)

Mezza > Oasis > Bubbling
All three of those places BLOW SAHARA AWAY
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='delSol_si' date='25 July 2010 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1280117724' post='476335']

[/quote]

[/quote]

And just to make the playing field even, I would like to say that I have worked as a server before, so I know how nice it is to get a good tip, but I never expect it unless I bust my ass to make sure they are getting great service. And just for the record, I made good tip money :) ...actually had a guy tip me $20 on a $80 tab. And I would like to say I generally tip good when I am out. usually 15-20% unless they suck, then usually 0-10%
[/quote]

This.

If a server does a great job - and does everything you need. Tip em. You can't blame a server for the managements choice in hookahs, hoses, tobacco, or coals..

It's like any resteraunt I go to. If the server is good - I tip 15% - sometimes up to 25% depending on the bill and how annoying and routy my group was. (And let me tell you - we can be loud, obnoxious, annoying, and downright condescending sometimes.)

If the server was bad - I'll still usually do 5-10%.

If the server is atrocious - Nothing.

I know people who will sit there and calculate out 15% on the dot. So like 53 dollar bill. 7.95 Dollar tip.
I'm the kind of guy who will be like ok, 5.30$ is 10%, so 15% is about 8. Oh why don't I just round up to 65.

Rule - If you don't have the money to tip well - then you don't have the money to eat out in the first place.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='porksandwich9113' date='26 July 2010 - 01:08 AM' timestamp='1280131680' post='476355']
Rule - If you don't have the money to tip well - then you don't have the money to eat out in the first place.
[/quote]

+1
I tip if its good service. The server is at work, they should do their job correctly, and that means being quick, efficient, and friendly towards the guest. The people at my local lounges are all of those, but none of them know how to set up or maintain a hookah, so if I go with friends I'll tip but I usually avoid going because I'd rather be at my place.
  • Upvote 1

We have some of the same issues at my place. People around here are notoriously bad tippers. In fact, my staff generally make about 90% of their tips from about 10% of the people who come in. Is it common for places to include gratuity in the ticket? That's always been a strange concept to me.

I'm thinking of doing away with tips altogether. It creates too much drama. The problem is, a lot of people want to tip. I'm not sure how I would have my employees handle the situation where someone wants to tip them.

if the server brings the food from the kitchen to the table without spilling it on me and fills my glass when it is nearly empty I will tip 15%.
If they are pleasant and "go the extra distance" I tip 20%. If I am force to pay a gratuity on the bill that is all they will get. I tip out of kindness not force. So if 15% is imposed then ask your boss for the other 5% I would have given you because they blew it for you.
Ray

[quote name='clickhea' date='05 September 2007 - 10:48 AM' timestamp='1189003731' post='154346']
If you go to smoke a hookah, no food no drinks, do you tip before you leave?

[b]I usualy double the tax, but iam not sure if thats too much just for 1 bowl[/b].
[/quote]

Well first of all I think that is a horribly tip system and you can NEVER tip too much -- and I highly doubt doubling the tax on a ~$10 purchase could qualify as "too much" lol.

But yeah, I tip most of the time. I treat it like a resteraunt, if I enjoyed my experience or it was at least status-quo, then I'll usually leave 2-3 bucks but if it sucked for reasons that I know I brought to the attention, that never got fixed or compensated for then no.

I believe in tipping based on the service I receive. I typically tip 20% as a rule but adjust that rate according to how well I felt the service was. Of course, there are many factors involved in this decision. For instance, if it's really busy and I see my server rushing around barely staying above water, I'll cut them some slack on service and still give them a good tip. But if it's slow and I get poor service, I'll give them nothing.

The way I see it, if they're working for tips, I want them to work for their tips. There are no guarantees.