Passing Out From Smoking Hookah

it happens to me now and again. It's usually from a combination of being tired, not having anything in my stomach, and having far too much nicotine in my system...just makes you wanna fall asleep.

I can't tell you how many times i've fallen asleep with the hose on my chest and something on TV in my apartment...it's such a peaceful way to fall asleep.

It has happened to my brother once.
It's the same thing as shallow water blackout, as explained by medical. Basically it’s where the lungs cannot pull enough oxygen from the air you breathe. But what causes it, is when your body cannot register that is getting insufficient amount of oxygen because there is not enough carbon dioxide in your lungs to be detected, that’s how you feel like your suffocating or need to take breath. By the body monitoring the level of C02 in your lungs. Since the user just keeps inhaling away without taking a break in-between or not enough, the oxygen level tapers off and begins to fall causing the body/brain to crash. Because he/she is pushing out more C02 then the body can fill the lungs with, so there is no feeling of "I need to stop and take a breath...”, because the body doesn't monitor oxygen like most people believe.
I might have been told wrong, but this is what was told to me when I rushed my bro to the hospital.

Edit: Spelling Edited by FURsAKeN

QUOTE (leadpipecinch21 @ Sep 2 2007, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what coals are you using?

We switched from olive wood to a popular finger charcoal. I don't want to say which brand, since I'm not sure whether the problem is actually with the coals or whether us switching brands and having people pass out is just a coincidence. The only reason why I suggest it that might be the coals is because I was thinking that finger coals might produce more carbon monoxide than wood coals, which may cause a problem over a long smoking session. But this is really just a guess...

Dude lack of Oxygen! WHen you smoke you get a lack of O2 to your lungs. Just like when you hold your breath so long you pass out. One time, i had a teacher tell me that it wasn't the nicotine or tobbacco that gave you a buzz, it was the lack of oxygen to your brain. When you smoke hookah for a while, and maybe you sit in the same position, and take rather huge hits, you start feeling very ... euphoric. ANd then you stand up, and all the damn blood filled with brand new oxygen you just breathed in goes rushing to your damn head! Then you get a rush, and usually your vision becomes a little blacked out, you feel dizzy, and your head feels warm and rushed.

its lack of oxygen. has no1 here ever gotten a head rush? stand up too quick, and your real woozy. take 10 deep, long breathes and then hold your breath for as long as you can. you'll probably pass out.

coals cant have so much of a negative effect to make some1 pass out.

dude its clearly not the coals, your "seasoned smokers" probably kept inhaling over and over to show off and forgot to breathe then they landed on their candy ass's so they could smell what the rock was cookin!

ok i got carried away but it is not possible for it to be the coals that would be idiotic.. and people would pass out after eating certain bbq!

The fools just dont breathe between hits and or pull in so much shisha at once and keep hitting it they lower their oxygen levels.. theirs a sound response perfecrly answering the problem above a few posts but yet you keep bantering about coals..

SafeSearch and I think that it is lack of O2. It would make the most sense. Most of the time natural coals don;t give off harmful gases. So i don;t see how it could be them. The coals are meant for smoking hookah, you can't have a poisonous hookah coal!

Ever hear of carbon monoxide? you breathe it from the coals from every hit you take from your hookah. Being 'natural' doesnt mean they dont give off CO. If you just had a lack of oxygen, you'd pass out before you stood up. I'd bet its as simple as being relaxed, standing up too quickly, and getting a gnarly headrush.

Yeah, i've seen monoxide poisoning alot, a family down the street all died beacuse their detector didn't ring. That's horrible if the coals are doing that. And you're right, whenever i light a Golden Coal, it gives off that assy dark oily smoke while sparking. Yuck. If all coals give off carbon monoxide, whats a safe alternative other than an electric heat source?