Khalil Mamoon Stem Problem

I just bought a KM Amer from hookahcompany a bit ago. It arrived today, but for some reason I can't put it all together. The problem is that the stem doesn't fit into the base with any sort of seal. The rubber grommet on the stem is way too big to slide into the base. As a result, it only gets halfway in there and tips over when the weight of the hose is added onto it.

I'm not really sure what to do. Option A is to talk to hookahcompany about it possibly being defective, option B is to roll out the justice and start flaking off pieces of the grommet with a knife until it fits in. In that situation, I'm not really sure how far in it's supposed to go. Any ideas, guys and girls?

Hey Carl,

This is always an issue with Egyptian hookahs, but I can tell you that it should fit as they test it out at the factory because each vase is made to fit a specific stem.

1. The stem will probably never fit perfectly into the vase.
2. The vase/stem grommet has to be moistened before you put it in, just use water or cooking oil as click suggested.

If after that it still doesnt fit you should ask HC to send you some additional grommets, as those vary in size and thickness as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike
Hookah Life

QUOTE (hookahlife @ Sep 1 2007, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Carl,

This is always an issue with Egyptian hookahs, but I can tell you that it should fit as they test it out at the factory because each vase is made to fit a specific stem.

2. The vase/stem grommet has to be moistened before you put it in, just use water or cooking oil as click suggested.

If after that it still doesnt fit you should ask HC to send you some additional grommets, as those vary in size and thickness as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike
Hookah Life

Absolutely, do what you can to make it fit nicely, if not I'm sure hookah company would be glad to help you out.

QUOTE (Washerdryercmbo @ Sep 1 2007, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (hookahlife @ Sep 1 2007, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Carl,

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike
Hookah Life

Absolutely, do what you can to make it fit nicely, if not I'm sure hookah company would be glad to help you out.

So, it's ok for me to try and remove the rubber piece on the bottom of the stem? I wasn't sure if that would ruin it for good or make it impossible to get hookah company to replace it. It seems like te rubber grommet is too thick to fit in no matter how well I soak it. It's just too big around. I was thinking about trimming this bit with a knife, but I don't know.

Sounds to me like you need a diiferent grommet. My Amer has a Mya style grommet, which use seperate shims to adjust. I think I have three shims in there. I have tried some of the black grommets and found them too tight.

Ron Carnegie

Have them send you a smaller grommet, done deal. Same thing happened to me with my glyph base. H-S sent me a skinnier base grommet for free. =] HC will probably make you send the whole thing abck cause they suck mah nutz.

QUOTE (KillZedKill @ Sep 2 2007, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have them send you a smaller grommet, done deal. Same thing happened to me with my glyph base. H-S sent me a skinnier base grommet for free. =] HC will probably make you send the whole thing abck cause they suck mah nutz.

I went with the suggestions in this thread and removed some rubber while adding some electrical tape. Worked like a charm. Smoked some cappucino/vanilla in it this afternoon and loved it. Thanks hookahforum, you made my dreams come true!

QUOTE (hookahlife @ Sep 1 2007, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it should fit as they test it out at the factory because each vase is made to fit a specific stem.

I don't think that's always true. Mya makes stems and buys jars separately most of the time, Egyptian stuff is shipped separated; jars and shanks so the metal shanks don't smash the jars. Some Syrian stuff is "fitted" using athletic tape, but most of the stuff I see is actually fitted at the importer/wholesaler's place.