Weird Pressure Problem, Need Help :(

I've lit quite a few hookahs in my time and never had this problem before. But I started wokring at a bar in copenhagen where we serve hookahs and quite often there is this problem where it feels like the pressure in the vase is really low (or high huh.gif ) and its really quite a struggle to draw smoke out. There is plenty of smoke coming out but it feel really uncomfortable to smoke it, you really have to try hard. I cant figure out what the problem is, it doesnt seem to be more or less holes in the foil. The pipes at this place are all second had and pretty shit but they usualy work perfectly, its just recently that this problem has started happening. Any one have any ideas what it could be?

Check out the ball bearings on the valves. I had a difficult draw once, found I couldn't clear the chamber if I tried, and had smoke shooting out of the hose faster than it should after a hit. I just unscrewed the valve, took out the bearing and put it back in, screwed it back together, and everything was peachy.

QUOTE (pipfaz @ Aug 27 2007, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've lit quite a few hookahs in my time and never had this problem before. But I started wokring at a bar in copenhagen where we serve hookahs and quite often there is this problem where it feels like the pressure in the vase is really low (or high huh.gif ) and its really quite a struggle to draw smoke out. There is plenty of smoke coming out but it feel really uncomfortable to smoke it, you really have to try hard. I cant figure out what the problem is, it doesnt seem to be more or less holes in the foil. The pipes at this place are all second had and pretty shit but they usualy work perfectly, its just recently that this problem has started happening. Any one have any ideas what it could be?

I had this exact problem and thought it was the brand I was smoking...WRONG!!!

I assume you use foil on top of the shisha...poke many holes all over the palce. Holes atleast as big as a toothpicks diameter. Also, don't completely bombshell the top of the bowl with coals either. In other words...just a few charcoal pieces should do the trick...not like 8 or anything. Last but not least, the more you conceal the heat at the top will make it that much harder to inhaling...seeing as how entrance for air is through the top and obviously hose for exit. Hope that helped biggrin.gif

Often, older pipes use (and I still do) flatter jar gaskets, shimmed by electrical or other adhesive tape. Over time, that slips down and blocks the hose port, partially. Additionally, check that there isn't some general obstruction in the hose port and that the hose isn't damaged or leaky in some manner.

check the hose right where it comes into the wood at the stem end. i've been in many a hookah bar where the wires in the hoses start to bend because of extended use, it sort of crimps like a water hose and makes the draws hard. sometimes rotating the hose a quarter turn will open it up and smooth out the pull.

Few Check points.

1 Give all pieces of hookah a good clean.
2 Fill base with water, approx 1inch above bottom of pipe.
3 draw air through pipe, without hose(mouth directly on shaft) You may need to adjust water level a little. do so until it draws nicely. if it doesnt, get a new pipe.
4 put hose into shaft, draw. if its now too hard to take in, get a new hose.
5 apply empty bowl and draw, if its no good get a new bowl.
6 fill bowl with tobacco. take draw prior to appying foil. if it too hard, re fill using less tobacco, dont compress it.
7 Apply foil, constantly take in and keep adding holes until it flows nicely.

IF all the above dont work, throw the bastard out and take up smoking. Dunhill Reds always give me a good hit.

wow thanks guys, theres alot to try out so I'll try all the things you've said here next shift. I cant throw the pipes out, they may be old and decrepid but the boss refuses to buy new ones as a "no smoking in bars" law in copenhagen may shut the place down soon anyway. The bowl may be overpacked, but I get told to do that by my co-workers because people at the bar tend to just shift the coal around when ever the flavour drops. So we pack the bowl pretty full so that they light quick and are easy to stay lit. Joeaflak's check sheet seems like a good idea that'll at least give me an idea of the problem. Thanks for the help, everyone, i'll let you know whats helped soon Edited by pipfaz