Make/replace Your Wide Hose (w/ Pictures)

olooko

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he is saying get the collar off ( the part that is still shiny ) and get all the old hose out of it, then put it back on when you install the new hose. As for the ends I would take a wire brush to it and get all the rust off it since you will be using clear hose would look better IMO. Steel wool would work too.

Woot, i just took apart my cobra hose because i accidently washed it.. bad idea but today me and my friend went to Home Depot and bougth te supplised needed for the hose mod. We brought one of the ends of the hose to the store with us and the first clear tube we put it in is like a perfect fit, we bought two little clamps just in case, i'll post pictures in a bit or maybe in the morning. Its awesome!

Scott

Before eviscerating my newish MYA hose, I want to confirm that 3/8 then 1/2 and then 5/8? I really want to make sure the fit is right. And the tubing is vinyl? I hear that only the vinyl tubing that is usable is those meant for air. Please confirm for me smile.gif Edited by MechAnt

I was having some problems with stabilisation of the hub since the tubing was pretty stiff. So it got tilted and almost knocked over plenty.
I'm gonna look for some more flexible stuff but at the time it was all that was available.

So, by the blood, make sure the tubing is flexible.
More flexible than you think would be okay.

Just did this to a hose that came with my Abyss that was messed up when I got it. Turned out the wood part of the handles hadn't been drilled out all the way, so I fixed that, and went on my way to Home Depot. I believe it was 5/8" that fit on the end of the handle for mine. The tubing I got is nowhere NEAR flexible enough though, and is really heavy. It's taken the form of the coil it was stored as, and I doubt will be changing much from that. Gotta try and find more flexible stuff. It smoked alright, but again I think it was the handles. I'm probably just gonna wait until my Nammor gets here from Hookah-Shisha (gotta love being 3 hours from their warehouse in Austin) and call it a day.

Hrm, Im going to do this with a hose that came with my Mya as soon as possible, and Im going to maybe make my own diffuser.

Will post pics.

Edit:
Alright, so I went to my friends appartment where we keep most of our hookah stuff, and I found an unused hose and chopped it up. It was a hose that came from a cheap mini hookah my friend bought from a local shop for $40. This hose had wooden handles, a metal mouth tip, and those little brackets on it that are a pain in the ass to get off, epsecially when you're trying not to break the handle. I had no siccers, knife, or pliers at the time, and only had hookah tongs at the appartment, so I took what I had and stabbed away at the hose to cut it open laugh.gif . After stabbing and getting openings, I ripped away the hose and ate away at what little hose was still glued to the nozle on the inside of the hose. Man, was that a bitch... I was sitting there for 30 minutes just eating away at both handles with tongs, and pulling at it with my fingers, but I was determined to get this done today and it was all I had available to me at the time.

After sitting there with just tongs and tired hands, in front of my friend who was watching the gator game, I asked him if he was sure if he had nothing that would help me take this thing apart in the apartment. Then he remembers hes got pliers in the cabnet angry.gif . I took the pliers and started ripping some more of the little pieces that were such a bitch to try and pull away with my fingers. This was so much easier and took alot of the stress off my hands. I don't think I could express how much of a bitch it was to pull this stuff off the nozle.

Next, I had to get the brackets off, and the hose was set up so that it went over the nozle, and under the brackets. For some reason I thought it was jsut fastened onto the nozle and stopped. The hose was packed down in there so I thought if I just pull some of the hose out from under the bracket and give it a little room then it should just slide right off. That worked for the handle that you hold onto while you smoke, but the other end of the hose just wouldn't give. I have no idea why, but that thing just wouldn't move, so after almost crushing that handle with the pliers I gave up. The wood was pretty cheap and you could hear it "cringe" so to speak when you put too much pressure on it, and after it "cringed" once or twice I just left it there. It didn't effect the overall product at all, so it's fine.

Me and my other friend went off to Home Depot and got some 5/8" inner diameter 1/2" outer diameter hose, and another hose with a 1/2" inner diameter to slide over the smaller 5/8" hose. We took both handles and slid it into the vinyl tuning until we found a fit, then found some tubing that had the inner diamter of the outer diameter of the 5/8"s hose (I know that all sounds really confusing, but it all makes sense if you read it a little slower. wink.gif ). Its all pressure fitted, and this hose is a BEAST! Just slide a little of the 5/8" hose over the nozle, cut it, and slide the 1/2" hose over it. Do it to both handles, and voila. Instant hose in beast mode.

I highly recommend that you do this with an old hose. This hose rips, and all my friends were orasming over its amazingness. I told my friend how to assemble it, and he did a little of it on the way back from Home Depot. After I dropped him off at the appartment, he assemebled the rest of it, because I went to go get lemon juice to clean out the hookah and the new hose. When I get back, I noticed that he left it at 20ft rolleyes.gif . We ordered pizza and he answered the door with the hose in his hand, lol. I guess he felt cool taking a puff 20 feet away at the door. Also, at first you could taste the hose alot. My friend said he didn't but he doesn't know what hes talking about because hose made up 3/4ths of the taste. I threw some lemon juice threw it, and forgot to run water through it after, and there was a little lemon left in it. After a few hits and taking out the rest of the lemon juice, no lemon or hose taste.

I'll re-edit this tomorrow with some pictures. I didn't have my camera on me at the time I was making it, but I can show you the final product.
Edited by Bryantos

• 2 weeks later...
I just made one today after lab, I got 1 foot of 3/8 hose and 20 feet of 5/8 hose. when I took off the end pieces, I slipped the 3/8 hose till it was flush with the small metal part on the bottom of the end pieces. When I got that done, I put both end pieces on the 20 feet of hose. The hose is wide, airtight, and cool to boot. I haven't tried it out yet though, prolly this evening.

WORD OF ADVICE!!! Use Glycerin to lube the end pieces that fit into the hose. there is a reason why they sell the stuff for enemas. Keep a bottle for all your lube needs or for your dried out shisha.

-QM

• 2 months later...
Did this, and everything is perfect except the fact that the hose isn't flexible. Is there anyway to make it flexible? Or should I buy a longer tube (I only got 3ft.)? Any solutions?

Edit: And yes, the inflexibility is knocking over my hookah. Now there's 2 more holes in my carpet sad.gif Edited by ComradeTwitch

QUOTE (ComradeTwitch @ Nov 30 2007, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did this, and everything is perfect except the fact that the hose isn't flexible. Is there anyway to make it flexible? Or should I buy a longer tube (I only got 3ft.)? Any solutions?

Edit: And yes, the inflexibility is knocking over my hookah. Now there's 2 more holes in my carpet sad.gif

try putting the hose under your matress for a few nights, and then wash it in the washer machine wink.gif it worked wonder for me!

QUOTE (ComradeTwitch @ Dec 2 2007, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually boiled it and it turned out to be more flexible, but I got carried away so I overboiled it causing it to rip haha. I'll probably get a 6 ft. one then boil it for a while. Should work.

The stiffness got worse for me in the cold weather. Smoking outside made the thing a solid tube, I ended up having to spin the hookah on the table everytime we passed the hose.

QUOTE (olooko @ Aug 23 2007, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I took out all the parts that could rust and replaced them.

Materials:
1 - Old hose (Mines was a MYA hose)
1 - 6 foot long hose (Depending on what you want a wide or regular you can pick different diameter hose. Regular hose is 3/8 ID)
(leadpipecinch21 said to use a flexable tubing, or else it can knock over you hookah.)
electrical tape or a few pixies of different size hoes (they fit inside each other to layer up)

Tools
a utility knife
pliers

Step 1. Break out the tools and remove that old hose. ( Mines was supposedly a MYA washable from HC, but as you can see it still rust)

Step 2: Clean the handel and connection to the hookah, like so

Step 3: Size up the handle. You can either use electrical tape to build up the thickness, or like me use different size tubing to do that. I had to use two sizes to build it up.
3/8" ID and 1/2" ID hose to build up to my 5/8 ID hose.

Here another pic.

5. Now just slam them together, this might take a little bit of water and a lot wiggling and pushing angry.gif . It should look like this when your done.

Notes:
Now remember this is pressure fitted, I kept mines this way so I can take it apart and wash it. You can use and permanently attach them together.
Ascetics: To make it pretty you can make a hose cover or by one.
Smell
: run some vinegar or lemon juices through it a couple of times. Soak it in the stuff for a few hours if you really want to get the smell out.
Fitting: Dip the ends into hot water and the tube will become more pliable.

Enjoy

PS If you have any improvements PM me and let me know I'll add it on to the post.

thats a really cool idea. when u first start smoking can u see the smoke cloud go up the hose? i would love that!

• 2 weeks later...

alright so what now? Is there anything I need to clear off before putting the hose on?

This is the hose that came with my QT and I noticed it wasnt the same as the OP's hose. Does anyone know what size I should get for this one? Also, do I just leave the silver collar on and just put the hose on the inner smaller piece, flush with the collar?

EDIT: oh yeah, and mine seems to be a little crooked. I don't know if it happened when I wrestling with it with the pliers or what, but is that going to cause a problem?
Edited by anddy