Make/replace Your Wide Hose (w/ Pictures)

olooko

I took out all the parts that could rust and replaced them.

Materials:
1 - Old hose (Mines was a MYA hose)
1 - 6 foot long hose (Depending on what you want a wide or regular you can pick different diameter hose. Regular hose is 3/8 ID)
(leadpipecinch21 said to use a flexable tubing, or else it can knock over you hookah.)
electrical tape or a few pixies of different size hoes (they fit inside each other to layer up)

Tools
a utility knife
pliers

Step 1. Break out the tools and remove that old hose. ( Mines was supposedly a MYA washable from HC, but as you can see it still rust)

Step 2: Clean the handel and connection to the hookah, like so

Step 3: Size up the handle. You can either use electrical tape to build up the thickness, or like me use different size tubing to do that. I had to use two sizes to build it up.
3/8" ID and 1/2" ID hose to build up to my 5/8 ID hose.

Here another pic.

5. Now just slam them together, this might take a little bit of water and a lot wiggling and pushing angry.gif . It should look like this when your done.

Notes:
Now remember this is pressure fitted, I kept mines this way so I can take it apart and wash it. You can use and permanently attach them together.
Ascetics: To make it pretty you can make a hose cover or by one.
Smell
: run some vinegar or lemon juices through it a couple of times. Soak it in the stuff for a few hours if you really want to get the smell out.
Fitting: Dip the ends into hot water and the tube will become more pliable.

Enjoy

PS If you have any improvements PM me and let me know I'll add it on to the post. Edited by olooko

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you're doing this, make sure that you get some flexible hose. i've got one like this made out of some straight up vinyl tubing, and while it's nice hitting and completely washable, it's knocked my hookah over a couple of times, because it just won't flex. so, be careful with this type of mod.

how do you guys get the plastic smell out?
i just picked up 20' today and im planning to make two hoses out of it.
i ran hot water through it with a showerhead. Then, lacking an air compresser, blew on it to get as much water out as possible.
there is less smell, but still just a touch.
ideas?

QUOTE (Akkbar @ Aug 24 2007, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i ran hot water through it with a showerhead. Then, lacking an air compresser, blew on it to get as much water out as possible.
ideas?

Just like any new hose there will be some smell, just use it one or twice and it will be gone. May be you can run vinger or baking soda solution through it.

QUOTE (olooko @ Aug 25 2007, 05:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Akkbar @ Aug 24 2007, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ideas?

Just like any new hose there will be some smell, just use it one or twice and it will be gone. May be you can run vinger or baking soda solution through it.

QUOTE (leadpipecinch21 @ Aug 25 2007, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i put a dilute of lemon juice and water through mine for a couple seconds, and then it smelled like lemon. After a few pulls on the shisha, no smell at all.

thanks, will try the lemon juice.

i just did something really similar, except i hot glued the hose on, because i ended up sawing off the ends of the cobra. there was rust like, embedded in the wood. freakin' cobras...

I just did this as well with the same exact Mya ends. Took 6 feet of 1/2 tubing and clamped it on with just basic hose clamps. I didn't bother with the sizing part, clamps will work well enough to keep the 1/2 tubing on the smaller pipe.

Same effect, less aesthetically pleasing I guess.

QUOTE (TK_05 @ Aug 27 2007, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just did this as well with the same exact Mya ends. Took 6 feet of 1/2 tubing and clamped it on with just basic hose clamps. I didn't bother with the sizing part, clamps will work well enough to keep the 1/2 tubing on the smaller pipe.

Yea, that is why i sized the suckers. The hose clamps ensure the stau on.

QUOTE (olooko @ Aug 28 2007, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (TK_05 @ Aug 27 2007, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, that is why i sized the suckers. The hose clamps ensure the stau on.

Quick job for a single session. Now that I have time I like your idea also, might have to change mine up. How did you go about clearing off the ends like the metal and other crap? Edited by TK_05

How nice is that?!
I was preparing for a long search on the net about fixing my hose right now.
And there it is, right in front of me.

I got myself a few meters of vinyl tubing. The vinyl is supposed to not absorb any fumes or tastes, but is pretty expensive.
But now I can just put cheap tubing on the outside for "volume".

Thx

I just use some pliers and yanked them as hard as i can. Needle nose pliers were helpful in getting the gunk in between the wood and the Al pipe. I also used some sand paper to remove the red rust.

QUOTE (Boersnoes @ Aug 28 2007, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How nice is that?!
I was preparing for a long search on the net about fixing my hose right now.
And there it is, right in front of me.

I got myself a few meters of vinyl tubing. The vinyl is supposed to not absorb any fumes or tastes, but is pretty expensive.
But now I can just put cheap tubing on the outside for "volume".

Thx

Yea, that's why i posted "Wide tube". I am glad this helped. rolleyes.gif

It's physics, the port hole is small but the hose is wide. The smoke will rush quicky through the small port hole, but when it reaches the wide hose it will slow down, allow you to see the smoke creep through your tube. It makes a great effect. If you don't belive me use a samm diameter hose and a large diameter hose.

-olooko

QUOTE (Cheese// @ Aug 30 2007, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This worked for me and I've never used such a good hose.

I was hesitant about destroying my cobra hose but it was definitely worth it.

I was also hesitant at first. So I destroyed my friends first biggrin.gif . After I figured out that I could work, I did it to mine. I glad this post is helping.

QUOTE (olooko @ Aug 30 2007, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Cheese// @ Aug 30 2007, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This worked for me and I've never used such a good hose.
I was hesitant about destroying my cobra hose but it was definitely worth it.

I was also hesitant at first. So I destroyed my friends first biggrin.gif . After I figured out that I could work, I did it to mine. I glad this post is helping.

I was as well, but then i tried smoking out of it again and that was it. the rust so was bad i couldn't even more than 6 or 7 puffs into the bowl! so much better now!

Just fixed mine up. Used some black electrical tape to build the pipe up, slipped on the hose, and use the clamps. FWIW, anyone wanting to ease the pain of sliding the hose one, boiling hot water greatly helps loosening the plastic on the hose so it can slip on pretty much anything.