"deadly Blaze Caused By Hookah Pipe" - News

I've just read this horrible story online about a fallen hookah pipe starting a fire in Canada that killed two people! Here's the the first part of the article:

"Tue Aug 21, 8:52 PM

VANCOUVER (CBC) - A hookah pipe caused a fire that claimed the lives of two young women in Victoria in the early morning of Aug. 6, Victoria's fire chief says. Fire Chief Doug Angrove said an investigation has concluded the group of university students had been smoking tobacco from the water pipe on the evening of Aug. 5.

Some time after midnight, the hookah pipe tipped over and a smouldering charcoal ember fell onto a couch, Angrove said. That led to a fire so intense that it peeled aluminum siding off the duplex. Chelsea Elizabeth Robinson, 22, and Brenna Jacklyn Innes, 21, died from smoke inhalation when the two-story duplex caught fire while they were sleeping.
"

To read the whole article you may visit here: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/21082007/3/cana...fire-chief.html Edited by HookahHub.com

Thats sad sad.gif

I guess yesterday was the last time in my life leaving the coals red hot sitting on the bowl and going to sleep

I've done it, not too often, though. I'd just put them in the ash tray, but that doesn't matter if your cat decides to tip your hookah in the middle of the night. Only woke up to that once, thank god I'd finished everything before that happened.

QUOTE (Allia22 @ Aug 22 2007, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've done it, not too often, though. I'd just put them in the ash tray, but that doesn't matter if your cat decides to tip your hookah in the middle of the night. Only woke up to that once, thank god I'd finished everything before that happened.

When I was eight years old, I got up on Sunday morning to find the living room in ruins. There where burned holes the size of dinner plates in the rug and the sofa and matching chair were missing. Still full buckets of water were here and there throughout the living room. My mother was sound asleep in my grandparents room whom we lived with, and there was my mom's boyfriend asleep in the guest den. They were both smokers and he was in the Navy. He left at the end of his shore leave and later said something just told him to go back to the house. He found smoke billowing out of an open window. A cigarette ember had dropped into the sofa and started to smolder. He woke my mom and together they put out the fire and dragged the smoldering sofa and chair outside onto the lawn and turned the hose on it. My mothers night gown was in the middle of the floor burned into rags. It had caught fire during the fire fight and the boyfriend (whose name I don't remember) had torn it off of her and thrown it on the floor beating out the flames. I was sound asleep at the back of the house the whole time and just as they were about to wake me to get me out of the house, they managed to get it put entirely out.

To this day fire terrifies me.

I smoke a hookah so I use live coals. I keep an opened gallon jug of tap water within reach the whole time. And I've used it twice when coals hit the floor. My cats don't go near the hookah because they don't like the way it smells. Besides they follow me wherever I go, so if I leave the room they're right there with me. But I would never, ever sleep without making sure every ember was out.

By the way the boat sailed without the boyfriend and they tried to court martial him for being AWOL. I understand it took many pleas from my grandparents for saving out lives that cause them to finally relent and give him the medal he deserved.

So guys, please....... Make sure everything is completely out before you sleep.

'Rani

QUOTE (everydayshisha @ Aug 22 2007, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats sad sad.gif

I guess yesterday was the last time in my life leaving the coals red hot sitting on the bowl and going to sleep

Seriously...god damn!

From now on I'm cleaning everything up when I'm done...no more being lazy!

eh i see it as they died doing their hobby. (assumption seeing as they own their own pipe). + this isn't like oh someone died from a gun shot lets all go shoot off guns in the air in their honor. This seems to be more of a accident. Maybe I'm crazy, i dono.

i drop mine in the toilet too. or turn the sink on and drop the coal to the side of the water stream so it puts it out as it washes it down the drain. just another reason why coals should be replaced with some sort of device that can be turned off and not have to be worried about

• 4 months later...
I dissasemble my hookah after every use and have a glass of water in case any coal falls, also if im smoking on wood/carpet i put like a square of 3 layers of foil under my hookah to catch any falling embers. I know I'm going to sound like a total dick here but its kinda their fault. you should NEVER leave ANYTHING with the potential to start a fire (hookahs included) alone for more than 5 mins. When i have to do an errand i just put the coal out and light a new one when i'm back, a small price to pay for your house and your life (possibly your family's too)...

okay true story. I live in a dump and several times I have dropped my coals smelled something burning and not realized till the next morning that my carpet had holes. I will never be careless again.
Other than water what methods are there to put out coals Edited by Hexa

QUOTE (Hexa @ Dec 30 2007, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
okay true story. I live in a dump and several times I have dropped my coals smelled something burning and not realized till the next morning that my carpet had holes. I will never be careless again.
Other than water what methods are there to put out coals

you can stomp them (not with your feet)...and thats about it i think. pretty hard to snuff them out.