QUOTE (hookah hippie @ Aug 18 2007, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just moved and I want to smoke on my balcony. On the balcony there is one of those sprinklers on the roof with the red glass bulb in it. My question is will my hookah set it off including lighting the ql coals outside

can you cover it with a bag or something? thats what we do in dorm rooms.

I can does that work
I am at a dorm room there is a smoke detector and hell of those sprinklers
but outside there is just one sprinkler I know they go off if they get hot enough

if i were to do that bag thing is there a certain way to do it Edited by hookah hippie

As far as I know the sprinklers only go off when they are heated to a certain point. Theres usually a small red tube and if theres a fire it will heat and set off the sprinkler. So smoke shouldnt set it off. Im not a 100% on this but its what ive been told. Last year in my dorm we just disconnected the smoke detector during the session.

Agreed with the above. I believe those sprinklers have that same thermometer stuff in them, used to be mercury. So it SHOULDN'T go off, but if it does have fun with that mess...

As for smoke detectors, I don't believe hookah smoke is all that hot. Ever notice when cigg smoke gets in your eyes, it burns like hell? And hookah smoke can be billowing at your face yet you fell nothing? I think you should be fine. But then again smoke detectors and heat detectors are two completely different things. I'd say just try and find out which you have before doing anything, just to be safe. Especially in the dorms. Most school dorms will automatically alert the fire dept if and when an alarm goes off. Big trouble then.

I *have* set off fire alarms with my hookah.

In my old house we had a fire detector/alarm pritty much above where i sat. On Occasions
It would start singing [especially if i was getting my cloud on]

Also if i packed the bowl a little badly and the tobacco got a little burnt.

So I would definitely take precautions with that sprinkler. If the Fire Brigade turn up and it's false someone
is likely to have to pay a penalty for wasted time[1] - let alone potential damage to property.

So I would, personally, take a cautious approach and find a way to cover that thing.

JD

[1] - This may only apply to the uk

hookah will set off a smoke detector if you blow clouds at it because it works on a photovoltaic principle, if the light is obscured the alarm goes off.

the only way you would be able to set off the sprinkler is if the coals were about 3 inches from actual sprinkler head. the red liquid is a mercury-based mixture that expands when heated and breaks the little glass tube, and that makes the water happen. or if you're allia and manage to set the wall on fire or something... tongue.gif

if you blow on the coals alot it can set it off from whatever is generated. The actual sprinklers aren't set off by smoke but by actual flames, so you should be okay. I once used a hair drier to help light my coals quicker but it set off the smoke alarm like almost instantly.

yeah my friends and i smoke out our bedrooms and living rooms all the time. They get all hazy and sometimes it gets really hard to see the person infront of you. we have smoke detectors in all our rooms but they've never gone off during a session once, but they do go off if we burn something on the stove.

Its no problem.
I used to work installing fire systems, and the bulb you describe will take a sh*t load of heat before it will burst.
Different colour bulbs on the heads mean the go off at different temps, but you have nothing to worry about.

Heres a good example , when we used to rip out old fire systems, after we drained the system down we would set an oxy torch to the bulbs just to see how long it would take before they would burst, and they seemed to take an absolute age!

So smoke up!