[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1323108841' post='531741']
1 - Empty lungs
2 - Put hose in mouth
3 - Refill lungs via hose
4 - Empty lungs again
[/quote]

this is it.
best. tutorial. ever.

(honestly, I wish all instructions were this straightforward)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have really bad allergies and the passage to my lungs tends to be slightly closed most of the time. it used to make it very difficult to smoke hookah. I started by taking small tiny puffs and saw everyone else getting massive clouds and i wanted to be that cool too! So I started working on controlling my lungs and now, i'm able to take massive pulls. Sometimes I still have issues if i've eaten/ drank dairy products or eaten something sugary recently, but for the most part no more issues..

this kinda sorta related to this topic.. ;)

I do deep inhales at the start but go to mouth puffs as it gets harsh and I'm "un harshing" it. I can tell its harsh because it will inhale just fine but I'll get a coughing jag as I exhale.

[quote name='Coyote' timestamp='1323224306' post='531947']
wtf how do you not inhale a hookah
[/quote]

This

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post. I found this thread while googling "inhaling a hookah". I had a simlar question of is what I'm doing inhaling? I'm very new to this so that would be the source of my confusion but I think I can explain why some wouldn't understand what they are doing, especially cigarette smokers. Now obviously just puffing with your mouth isn't going to get you much smoke. The concept of inhaling to a cigarette smoker is after drawing off "whatever it is" breathing in the rest of the way. Doing this seemed too harsh but then I found the perfect balance. Use your lungs to drawn in a hit until you feel satisfied with the size and ammount of smoke then immediately yet slowly exhale to enjoy the flavor. Not inhaling the rest of the way after hitting the hose leads some to believe they are not inhaling.

[quote name='SchonTot' timestamp='1324918283' post='533848']
Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post. I found this thread while googling "inhaling a hookah". I had a simlar question of is what I'm doing inhaling? I'm very new to this so that would be the source of my confusion but I think I can explain why some wouldn't understand what they are doing, especially cigarette smokers. Now obviously just puffing with your mouth isn't going to get you much smoke. The concept of inhaling to a cigarette smoker is after drawing off "whatever it is" breathing in the rest of the way. Doing this seemed too harsh but then I found the perfect balance. Use your lungs to drawn in a hit until you feel satisfied with the size and ammount of smoke then immediately yet slowly exhale to enjoy the flavor. Not inhaling the rest of the way after hitting the hose leads some to believe they are not inhaling.
[/quote]

great explanation to the confusion here! Welcome to the Hookah Forum!

[quote name='Big Boss' timestamp='1185241668' post='143846']
When it comes to hookah smoking, asking "do you inhale?" is like asking "do you drive with your eyes open?"
[/quote]
Yeah, this. This topic kinda puzzles me - I guess I didn't realize that "not inhaling" is an option...

[quote name='Judy Oma' timestamp='1325219862' post='534160']
[quote name='Big Boss' timestamp='1185241668' post='143846']
When it comes to hookah smoking, asking "do you inhale?" is like asking "do you drive with your eyes open?"
[/quote]
Yeah, this. This topic kinda puzzles me -[u][b] I guess I didn't realize that "not inhaling" is an option[/b][/u]...
[/quote]

It's not. ^_^

[quote name='SafeSearchOff' timestamp='1185206498' post='143579']
inhale. its a hookah, not a cigar.

my. .02
[/quote]

.................................... this

I've never heard or even thought of anyone smoking hookah under any conditions and not inhaling.... =/

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1322935427' post='531492']
An alkaline environment in the mouth enhances the nicotine uptake, so you may not want to drink anything that's acid like soft drinks or citrus.
[/quote]

This is really interesting to me - is this common knowledge that I've missed somewhere along the way? Sorry not meaning to derail the "inhaling" thread, just wondering about this.

Inhale. With one exception. When I'm smoking in the car and I need two hands for something, I will stick the hose in my mouth and puff it. But otherwise:
Deep exhale
Inhale
Smile
???
Breathe clouds
Profit

One of my friends that didnt know Hookah tried to smoke like a Cigar, then complained about not tasting it....had a fun time with that...not....but yah i cant see not inhaling seems to defeat the purpose of the flavor.

• 2 months later...
I don't understand the views expressed that you can't smoke hookah without inhaling? I smoke hookah and I enjoy the flavour and I choose not to inhale. As an ex cigarette smoker I understand when I'm inhaling and when I'm not. With a hookah, I can take a big ten second draw of smoke into my mouth and then blow it out in a single action. The smoke doesn't pass into my lungs.
That contrasts with for e.g. cigarette smoking whereby the smoke is first drawn into the mouth, then as a secondary action the cigarette is removed from the mouth for an inhalation of air to carry the smoke down into the lungs, and held momentarily before being exhaled. If you're taking that secondary draw of air immediately after removing the hose from your mouth, your inhaling, and if you don't your not.
That said, even when you intentionally blow the smoke out of your mouth, there's always going to be a bit of smoke remaining in your mouth which gets unavoidably inhaled as secondary smoke when you take your next natural breath.

[b][i][u]SMOKING HOOKAH FOR DUMMIES[/u][/i][/b]

Ever feel like you don't know the true meaning of smoking hookah? Do I inhale? Do I cheek it? How much do I take in?

1. Breathe all air out of your lungs. All.
2. Pinch your nose.
3. Put the hose tip in your mouth (go ahead and quote that, I deserve it)
4. Sit in this position and lets see how long you last. Eventually, you'll realize how to take a real hookah hit.

I don't mean to be this drastic, but desparate times call for desparate measures.

• 2 months later...