Another Diy Diffuser

deltr

Due to the crisis at work today, where I destroyed the straws I was going to use in order to improve my last diffuser idea, I had to come up with something else. I noticed the plastic hoses we use to drain water out of the trays for our sculptures (I am an ice sculptor), and came up with an idea. Instead of drilling 1/8" holes into crappy straws, why not drill into something that has a backbone? I sliced off a bit of the hose and went to work drilling a hole pattern. I then took another thin bit of plastic and hotglued it to the bottom. This was the result:

I havent tested it yet. I'll edit this post within the hour when the water I put into the freezer comes to an appropriate temperature.

EDIT: It works great. Doesn't restrict airflow/flavor/smoke density. I'm very satisified and I would suggest everyone go to home depot/lowes and find equivient mats to create one. Happy trails. Edited by deltr

This mod also removes the gurgling feeling while inhaling, making it verrrry smooth. I also haven't had to reposition coals once from harshness, though I don't chalk it up to this specific change.

wow, that's a great idea, I'm gonna try making it. Thx for sharing

I made one, I didn't have a drill. So i took a razor blade and cut a bunch of slits into it and plugged the bottom with a bit of plastic. It works great, I love that it reduces the gurgling. Here is a pice of mine Edited by olooko

• 3 weeks later...
that was a great idea and one that i used my self it was awsome.. it worked well and was very cheap... the only problem now is that it wont fit on my KM because it wont fit over the fat bubble on the end.. but thats ok i have a new diffuser which is way better which i will post pics of asap

Guess I should post mine since its similar. I dont have a pic of it out of the water though. I used a fat transparent pen cap I had found that fit the diameter of my downstem snugly. Hot nail to make the holes:

Since i've broke that hookah and on my new one im using the end of a sharpie that I cut off. It fits inside the downstem, not around it.

The fact that you melted the plastic makes my wary of how safe it is. I actually did the very same thing on my first attempt. I went to the hardware store, bought some nice thick, clear rubber hosing, and a plug for the end. After I had placed all the holes in it, with the nail I heated over the stove, I thoroughly washed it out. I tried my best to scrub out all the black residue that had formed and other debri, but after all that I could still smell the burnt rubber. Not that the plastic or rubber we're using is the same, but we all know how toxic burning tires are. I then used the smallest drill bit, and have been enjoying my diffuser since.
So, unless you don't smell the same thing I did, consider drilling for your health's sake.

i went to do it center today and didnt find any tubing that looked good to me so i grabed an inch of pvc pipe and a cap. I think i got the wrong size because i cant get it to fit exactly but im gonna get some sand paper and work on it and then drill holes in it i will post a pic when its done.

QUOTE (voski @ Aug 24 2007, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i went to do it center today and didnt find any tubing that looked good to me so i grabed an inch of pvc pipe and a cap. I think i got the wrong size because i cant get it to fit exactly but im gonna get some sand paper and work on it and then drill holes in it i will post a pic when its done.

um i ran out of batteries with my drill but we were able to get a lot of decent 1/8th holes it actually looks like it will work pretty well il post an update later when i get more batteries.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (ReverieForest @ Aug 20 2007, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The fact that you melted the plastic makes my wary of how safe it is. I actually did the very same thing on my first attempt. I went to the hardware store, bought some nice thick, clear rubber hosing, and a plug for the end. After I had placed all the holes in it, with the nail I heated over the stove, I thoroughly washed it out. I tried my best to scrub out all the black residue that had formed and other debri, but after all that I could still smell the burnt rubber. Not that the plastic or rubber we're using is the same, but we all know how toxic burning tires are. I then used the smallest drill bit, and have been enjoying my diffuser since.
So, unless you don't smell the same thing I did, consider drilling for your health's sake.

I made a diffuser in the same fashion, and the black residue that appears is simply charred plastic that burns when you reheat the nail after having poked your first hole. the charred plastic then chips off and gets embedded in the tube as it heats up and melts as the nail goes through. Its not hazardous (at least if you use basic vinyl tubing like i did) and if you are still concerned about it, either for health or asthetic purposes, you can let the nail cool off after you poke each hole and burn or scrape off the black charred plastic before poking another hole.