Hookah + Airport Security?

So I know we have a common problem with any sort of law enforcement types assuming that a hookah is a bong. But hey, it's their job to be suspicious.
Anyway, I want to go on a trip. I want to take the hookah! I'm going to be flying. Has anyone had any experiences going through airport security with their hookah? Do they care? If they do care, how long did it take them to get the picture? If they have to look at it, that's fine. I've been selected to have my crap rummaged through before. But what I don't want is them giving me the fifth degree because they think I've got some illegal substance. Anyone have any experience to share?

Airport security is on and off.

I personally have traveled to and from Turkey myself. And its been both situations really.

1.) They take all the stuff that they would like for themselves.
2.) They dont care
3.) They find it....but tell you not to do it again

I have had all three happen to me.

So I dont really know how to answer this hah.

I honestly dont think it will be a problem to take your hookah with you. You might although wanna make some shisha visible along with the hookah for explanation purposes....just in case you get a TSA which is not familiar with the subject.

Last December I bought a $15 hookah at the Dubai duty free in the airport. I carried it onto the plane in a plastic bag, carried it off and into JFK Intl. Airport, put it through x-ray machines, brought it back onto another flight heading to ATL, got off the plane and went home. NO problems what-so-ever.

Unfortuately, as with so many things it depends on the TSA people, the airport, and many other factory.

Technically, it should not be an issue. Legally it should not be an issue.

If the TSA agent is having a bad day, or they want your stuff, or they are on a powertrip (TSA abusing their "authority"?! NO! NEVER!) then you might have an issue. My reccommendation is to put it in your checked luggage, pack it securely and properly, but odds are way way better than you will not have an issue if it is checked.

As a travel agent my general rule of thumb is this, if you won't need it on the flight or in the airport, and its not exceedingly valuable (this of course is the issue for you I am sure) then it belongs checked. The less you carry on the better off you will be generally.

The other potential issue with the shisha is how wet it is, if it can be even slightly construed as having too much liquid content it will confiscated and you might be in some trouble (guys they are banning gummi bears) so I definitely reccommend that the tobacco goes in the checked bags.