Mushrat’s BRIEF reviews....

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='mushrat']new review: af orange.
finger coals in my 24" hookah. 2 of 4 hoses going.
EH.[/quote]

Well that was most definately brief

Being a big fan of orange flavors, I agree that AFs orange wasn't the
BEST, but I still really enjoyed it. The begining of my sessions with
AF orange tend to be pretty hot on the throat, but then mellows out
after 15 or so minutes and gives a really nice, really creamy orange
flavor which I love.

Sorry to hear you didn't like it all that much.

There are many food colorings with different applications. The original red dye, red#1 was found to be carcinogenic, so it's use was discontinued (I think it was red#1), red#2 is still in use, but it is photosensitive, so its use isn't too widespread. I think red#23 (or some obscenely high number) is the new standard. That's why there were no red M&Ms for the longest time. The big flap about carcinogenic red#1 left a stigma that people didn't forget easily. Since then, people have been questioning how safe food colorings are. People have largely forgotten, so they brought red M&Ms back what like 15 years ago? 10 Years ago? The standard for orange is still yellow#6 and the standard for yellow is yellow#5. The standard blue is blue#2, I believe. White food coloring is scary, it contains titanium oxide, the same as they coat book pages with, to make them extra white (Haven't you ever wondered why new books seem to have so much whiter pages than older books?). Not used very much, fortunately. They generally make green and purple from mixing the appropriate other colors of dyes. Why orange has its own dye, don't ask me.I agree, the weird colors of artificial dye in tobacco always made me...I don't know...uncomfortable...no thats not it. You get the sentiment, though.

• 3 weeks later...
Got my AA shipment today..smoked the Peach while i was waiting for the plumber to come and cut a chunk out of my bathroom wall..
set up: my 34" with a mixture of bulk natural and finger coals. Used the covered bowl again.
The cut is your standard AA. It occurred to me that the stuff is finely shredded like HH. Don't know why the similarity didnt hit me before now.
BRIGHT RED.
Great smoke density of course...
Smelled like natural peaches. Not as sweet and strong as Romman, not as overpowering and slightly artificial as Nakhla. But a good solid peach smell.
Tasted great. Full peachy taste. Sweet without being overly candy. For half the price of Romman I'll be smoking much more of this. Still not as exotic or as mystifying as Tangiers Kashmir Peach, but a fine Metro flavour you'll like if you like peach.
Pomegranet next....

so i was in boone, nc for a pistol match and stopped into this head shop/piercing place/hippy driipy/sex toy shop i worked in years ago to see if he had any hookah stuff.Turns out they were carrying a large selection of HH and a few flavours of Hookah brothers (i didnt know they had their own brand).On a whim i picked up a 50g of orange HH.and was amazed!It smelled great, and while the liquid was very thin, as opposed to the thicks sticky mess of say an AF Esk Appple, it lasted a good long session. Over an hour and still going with a decent flavour.  Granted it dropped off noticible after about 45 minutes, the flavour was still going at an hour +.  I recall back when I was one of the few people who didn't complain of the serious flavour loss inside of the first half hour. I'd put the staying power as on par with some of the Al Amir I've gotten recently.The flavour wasn't Orange soda like the Starbuzz (a really nice smoke in its own right), or the Ornage candy, slightly chemical taste of Nakhla (also not a bad smoke mind you). Have you ever had Schwepps Bitter Orange Soda? THATS what it reminded me of. Kind of a natural orange with that peel zest/acidic oily kinda taste. It was very nice to smoke.Easy to manage heat wise with my screen and wind cover, NOT the all in one thing, great smoke density.A little expensive for a 50g, but I'll be smoking this one again soon.

• 1 month later...
I guess I'll post my reviews back in here...
So far I've smoked 2 more Starbuzz flavours:
1) Starbuzz Plum
Usual cut, usual look and feel, usual Starbuzz.
It smelled very sweet and fruity...perhaps a little like plum...
It didn't TASTE  much like plum I'm afraid.
I couldn't determine what the exact flavour was, one of my friends says she detected some Apricot, the other said he could taste a little of what he thought was plum.
I'm used to starbuzz having good strong taste, generally of some form of what its supposed to be. I was rather dissapointed with this one.
2) Raspberry
Usual look and feel.
SMELLED like raspbery candy/jam. Wanted to spread it on toast!
Tasted like Raspberries and flowers. This one is definitly Raspberry, but the floral taste is just as strong. Not unpleasant, but I was really just looking for Raspberries. 3 of the others smoking with me didn't really like it much, said it had an odd after taste...One said it reminded him of...Tide of all things.
I'll smoke this one again, but I seem to be in the minority. Ditch the flowers...more BERRY!
$.02

Startbuzz Lemon:
Used my 24" with 2 hoses running. Finger coals, screen.
Standard starbuzz cut and look.
Great smoke as I got the heat dead on though the whole session...
Flavour: Jbyer pretty much said it. A good strong lemon through the whole 1 1/2 hour or so session. Heck, it was still going (albeit with a bit of a flavour loss) when we quit to play some video game.
And I did smoke it with a heffeweisen...or 2. Excellent combination. 
Overall very good. Perhaps a bit better than AF, Romman, and AA. Lasted a lot longer, I'll give it that though.

hey mushrat, did you need to air it out at all? Where do you live, because my whole belief on airing out for humidity shock went down the drain. Before it used to work for me, but now I dunno if its because of this very unstable Michigan weather past week or two or what but its just not workin anymore. My three cans of Starbuzz SUCK ASS and its the biggest waste of $50. From all the reviews Ive seen for Starbuzz I would think it would be like an orgy in my mouth/throat/lungs. Im sure its this weather or VERY bad luck to get three bad batches.

• 2 weeks later...
Alqo: Sorry..i somehow missed your posting...noticed it when I came back to post a few new ones. To be honmest, these days i try to air everything out if I can.
Did you ever get your issues resolved?
Review time:
I finally got around to smoking the sample of Fumari White Peach I was sent a while back...thanks....um...hmm...gotten so many trades I'm not sure who to thank for this stuff..but you know who you are.

Dry/oily texture, medium chopped tobacco. Reminded my of Nakhla of all things in appearance and cut.

Tasted like peach alright. Not fresh peaches mind you, another peach candy flavour. Very good though.
There was soemthing different about it that i can't quite describe, Unlike Romman, which is the best candy Peach still in my book, it wasn't like a real peach explosion in my mouth.
It was definitly sweeter than the AA.
This peach was "heavy"???? Thats the best way I can describe it. Romman is light in the mouth, AA is medium, this stuff was...heavy.
I'll stick to my AA for everyday smoking and Romman for special occasions when I don't want to blow them away with the Kashmir Peach.
Aren't you all glad you asked?

Starbuzz Bluebnerry
Sorry guys, but I think they missed again.....
Usual Starbuzz look,feel,smoke.
Was like smoking clouds of sweet smoke with a hint of blueberry.....and what flavour there was wasn't like a GOOD blueberry candy even....
Still plenty of good starbuzz favours..this just wasn't one of them.

• 2 weeks later...
At long last...
Al Amir white grape:
Now, this was GOOD...
Usual Al Amir stuff...bright red, kinda gritty, pretty moist...
This was a very smooth and mellow grape. Not the usual overyly sweet shmuckers/concord grape jam/candy taste. This was a nice, dryer, easy going grape taste.
It's helped me finally decide one thing...I'm just not a big grape ma'asell fan.  But if I was, I'd smoke this one over say AF and the tootsie pop Nakhla.
Thanks for trade!
gee..only about 3 or 4 more samples to go....*twitch*
I havent the froggiest idea whats next.........

i havent exactly resolved my problem but im more in the undoubtful side that it has alot to do with the very unstable air aroud this time in michigan. one day its 90% humidity, the very next its 60%, so i think near the end of this month everything should be alright.

i just invested in some nour fingers ($4/kilo ) and bulk natural ($3/kilo) and magic japanese coals ($16 for 96 from fumari) and they really do improve the taste, im hoping there is gonna be even more once everything stables out around here.

djb: I havent tried the f-line yet...im enough of a man to admit it scares my some..I smoke to RELAX...this stuff sounds like its a real kick in the arse...flavourful...but a real kick in the arse...
I'm kinda still under the weather presently...have been all week. Gotta love a migrane....But I'll pm you this weekend, perhaps i have something you'd like in trade.

• 4 weeks later...
Review of King Moassel peach.
There are pictures the stuff in another thread, I'll link it when i'm done here.
Smoked it with my qt, fingers coals, foil.
Ok, so i was suprised, I admit it. This stuff was actually good.
A nice peach candy kinda taste. Not anything close to Romman for instance, along the line of al Amir, but with a totally different peach taste. That make sense?
Its honey based, so it was very smooth. A very nice buy at $6.50 for a 250g. The local market has a huge supply of flavours...may have to get something else to try next time.

Compared to nakhla? no comparison in terms of smokability. I'll take this stuff over it on general principles. As far as Nakhla peach goes..i've only tried it once and it wasn't a pleasant experience.
There are still a few Nakhla flavours I enjoy mind you like melon,chocomint, and mandarin. So I'll still smoke it.
In terms of SMOKE. Smoke is all a matter of heat control, not the tobacco. I can get lots of smoke out of any tobacco.
That helpful?

• 3 weeks later...
Working through my newest trades...
AF GS Strawberry:
Usual AF look etc. My sample was a little leaky, but I'd say the moistness compares to the AF GS ESK apple. Same cut and feel.
Smelled very good. Like strawberry preserves. More of a Natural Strawberry smell than a candy smell.
Taste: I have to admit, while it was a nice strawberry, I expected more. Compared to the apple taste of the GS ESK Apple it was weak.
If whats left of my memory serves me, it was about like the regualr AF strawberry. So why bother with the Golden line?
I'll smoke thios one again soon to make sure I have it right. But as of now...stick with the regualr AF, it's cheaper.