Rust Inside The Hookah.. (pics)

So I bought this mini "Pumpkin" hookah. After several uses, rust began to develop here:

It always cleaned off easily. But then I peered into the center of the hookah (which I can't physically get to) and I see this odd texture:

What's the dilly? is this rust? I've already trashed one hookah before this guy because of rust developing in this unreachable area. I have no idea what this crap is though.

P.S. Is rust harmful when inhaled? I want to say yes but after searching the net I haven't found and solid answers.

QUOTE (deltr @ Jun 25 2007, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I bought this mini "Pumpkin" hookah. After several uses, rust began to develop here:

It always cleaned off easily. But then I peered into the center of the hookah (which I can't physically get to) and I see this odd texture:

What's the dilly? is this rust? I've already trashed one hookah before this guy because of rust developing in this unreachable area. I have no idea what this crap is though.

P.S. Is rust harmful when inhaled? I want to say yes but after searching the net I haven't found and solid answers.

looks to me like a piece of aluminum foil that is stuck... i may be wrong... but thats what i would say it was...

QUOTE (deltr @ Jun 26 2007, 02:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah it does look like that, but that texture is completely uniform along the entire inside of that area of the hookah. I scraped some of it out and it's black.

maybe try a brillo pad? or steal whisker pad i guess is what they are called? can you take some more pictures? maybe not so close up like the second one... the picture looks goofy... Edited by pbpredator

No, thats the texture of a rough cast piece of metal. If you've ever seen cast metal, it has the same characteristic roughness. I used to work in the precious metals industry and I've seen plenty of 10lb. gold bricks with the same general texture.

QUOTE (pbpredator @ Jun 26 2007, 01:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (deltr @ Jun 26 2007, 02:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah it does look like that, but that texture is completely uniform along the entire inside of that area of the hookah. I scraped some of it out and it's black.

maybe try a brillo pad? or steal whisker pad i guess is what they are called? can you take some more pictures? maybe not so close up like the second one... the picture looks goofy...

if I could physically get to it (i.e. able to use a brillo pad) then i'd be gravy haha. the issue is that I can't get to that crap on order to clean it! when I had bought the hookah, the inside of that area was a copper color with a small crosshatch texture on it. now it's all black with that texture.

thanks for the ideas guys

I agree with tangiers, it looks like rough metal, like the inside of the mya qt.

once you get the rust off the stem, just make sure u dry it each time you are done and that should stop the rust, from forming again, even if you have a 4 hour session no rust should form, unless u leave it overnight in that base with water

If it's iron(III) oxide, which is otherwise known as rust, then you will be fine, On the other hand if it is Ferrous Iron, AKA iron chunks (not oxidized) which is very VERY unlikely, it is HIGHLY toxic and you should see your doctor if you have any symptoms of severe indigestion, or if you have pulsating stomach pain. You will be fine...from the looks of your pictures its just rusted, but you should contact the company that sold it to you and tell them that it is rusting and you want a new one because if you get sick and die, they are liable for selling a hookah that rusts overnight....IT will always work wink.gif

DONT Smoke your hookah untiil you find out what metal that is...because some hookahs are made with brass, or other copper/zinc substrates, all of which can be poisonous if ingested, and they all affect your nervous system, and your reproductive system.

Dr. Sammy D.D.S

Yes, but how does that get into his body? Copper is extremely poisonous, yet I smoke out of a brass pipe all the time (Brass containing generally around 60% copper) and I haven't noticed any short-term effects from it.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Jun 26 2007, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, but how does that get into his body? Copper is extremely poisonous, yet I smoke out of a brass pipe all the time (Brass containing generally around 60% copper) and I haven't noticed any short-term effects from it.

Lets say that the metal particles (iron or brass, or copper) are loose, and whenever he takes a pull, assuming that he inhales, he will then be breathing in the metal. And for those people that dont know how the body works, anything that you breath in, ends up in the viscinity of your bloodstream. What makes metals toxic is that they are either soluble or insoluble. The toxic ones are soluble, which means that they can be mixed with water/blood. I know I am only a dentist, but i deal with lots of different metals and compounds in my profession.