Avoid harshness, the physics of hookah

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (K1024 @ Mar 3 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tons of people have tried hot water, it works great.

I think there should be a difference between hot and warm water. If the water is HOT as in California summer day sitting in the sun heating up hot then it will not be enjoyable. Ask me how I know!

I tried super hot water last night and found it less than enjoyable. The smoke was noticeably hot which reminded me of a cigarette. I think I will perhaps stick to using ice-water since one of the pleasurable aspects of smoking a hookah is that the smoke is cool and less irritating.

I wish I had another hookah so I could compare the two side-by-side.

QUOTE (ih303 @ Mar 4 2009, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried super hot water last night and found it less than enjoyable. The smoke was noticeably hot which reminded me of a cigarette. I think I will perhaps stick to using ice-water since one of the pleasurable aspects of smoking a hookah is that the smoke is cool and less irritating.

I wish I had another hookah so I could compare the two side-by-side.

nah u need to try warm water not HOT water.

I vary the water from smoke to smoke - although i do find that hot water is not one to use, warm water is fine - ice only cools down the smoke a little.

Guess there is a science to it but there are so many variants - dependant on your hookah, your shisha, your bowl, the packing of the bowl, the coal etc that you can never be given instructions on making the perfect pot. You just try what you can with what you got - everyone will get different results! And everyones perfect smoke will differ slightly - i have some friends who enjoy a harsh smoke!

[couldn't edit my first post]

I'll have to try out the warm / cool water..I normally fill my vase to the gills with ice biggrin.gif

Your saying deeper bowls = center the coals more...if I'm reading it right.

I got all of your posts, which were very informative (on the expansion, long vs short stems, warm water etc), but perhaps expand / clarify what you meant by male vs female bowls etc?

Thanks, good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (redjako @ Mar 4 2009, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[couldn't edit my first post]
I got all of your posts, which were very informative (on the expansion, long vs short stems, warm water etc), but perhaps expand / clarify what you meant by male vs female bowls etc?

Thanks, good stuff.

By this, I would assume he means bowls that go on a stem that is either Egyptian style (Male Style) or Lebanese Style (Female Style). So, your typical modern bowl or phunnel bowl is a female bowl, as the stem goes inside it. Or if you have a bowl that goes inside the stem, then that's a male bowl.

Most hookahs have female bowls/Male stems nowadays.. I have a Mya Acrylic that has a female stem, and need to get an adapter to use my phunnel with it. as such, I've never smoked out of it. But I can see what he's talking about, as that bowl is pretty deep. Edited by Barnaby

Wow, 6 months before I joined the forum. Look at all those low number members! Conflicting information and such. Its amazing how much smarter everyone is here, now. I remember all the superstitions floating around. Shiny side down makes a difference! laugh.gif

I think erufiku is great and we should have him stickied to the top for new users.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Mar 18 2009, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think erufiku is great and we should have him stickied to the top for new users.

Make fun of me all you want, just get the Green Tea flavor out soon happy.gif