Using Fruit's As Bowls

Jamal

Gives it a unqiue taste, i've personally done it with a apple before. Places in Mile End such as halalino's do it..although its really expensive.

Basically,
-Get a fruit such as a pear, apple, pinapple(heard of this one not sure if its true).
-Cut the top of the fruit off, to make it resemble a hookah bowl.
-Poke 5 holes through the fruit, so once again it resembles a sheesha bowl.
-Fill the flavour at the top, and foil it as normal.
-Make sure you don't overcut the bottem, as it will adjust to the metal workings.

Hint's:
  • Apples do actually work better, than any fruit i've tried.
  • Do not use to much sheesha flavour, especially juicy ones as this will soak into the apple destroying it.
  • The holes should be evened out, that way there is a fair distrubtion of heat into the apple. I've been told to aim for 30-40 holes, not the 60-70 I personally do.
  • Flavours such as Al Fakher usually, work better than more harsher flavours such as Naklha or El Basha.

I just loaded a mini watermelon last night and it worked very well. It took a little longer that normal to start, as it had a harder time heating up due to the cold watermelon. I mixed banana and vanilla and loaded it in a pit in the eaten water melon. I drilled one main hole that led to the downstem and prolly five others that led to the main hole. I don't know if this was too much, as the water turned dark after two drags! (but my friend may not have cleaned out the vase that well) I packed the foil down around the shisha good and poked enough holes so I could blow back out it smoothly. We through enough coals on to cover the holes and started rippen. I liked the taste, but my friends thought that the vanilla was a bad call, but that taste was not the vanilla, I think it was the watermelon baking, but what do they know?

Edit: Hey I got a pic of the hommie smoking! Edited by VDDZ

That mini watermelon is awesome!!! Crazy Pic!

I have never done that apple, but this seems to be a hot topic lately, I think I am gonna have to try this really soon! I have a granny smith apple I think I may use this week to try it out.

Cheers!

QUOTE (VDDZ @ Jun 1 2007, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just loaded a mini watermelon last night and it worked very well. It took a little longer that normal to start, as it had a harder time heating up due to the cold watermelon. I mixed banana and vanilla and loaded it in a pit in the eaten water melon. I drilled one main hole that led to the downstem and prolly five others that led to the main hole. I don't know if this was too much, as the water turned dark after two drags! (but my friend may not have cleaned out the vase that well) I packed the foil down around the shisha good and poked enough holes so I could blow back out it smoothly. We through enough coals on to cover the holes and started rippen. I liked the taste, but my friends thought that the vanilla was a bad call, but that taste was not the vanilla, I think it was the watermelon baking, but what do they know?

Edit: Hey I got a pic of the hommie smoking!

Woah, thats truely something must have taken alot of flavour to fill it up though. And how many coals did it take before it was kicking properly? Anways I might give that ago with a smaller melon looks like a totally awesome idea.

I didn't fill the watermellon, that would be over kill, plus the watermelon would prolly melt before you could smoke it all. I only loaded about the same as a large bowl, (50g), in a duvet in the watermelon. I used four small-to-mid sized finger coals (twice what I can start a normal bowl with). It took twice as long to start as normal, but died with a lot of shishe left unburnt

QUOTE (VDDZ @ Jun 4 2007, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't fill the watermellon, that would be over kill, plus the watermelon would prolly melt before you could smoke it all. I only loaded about the same as a large bowl, (50g), in a duvet in the watermelon. I used four small-to-mid sized finger coals (twice what I can start a normal bowl with). It took twice as long to start as normal, but died with a lot of shishe left unburnt

How long time wise did it take up to start up? and how long did it last for?

Really thinking of doing one with a honey-dew melon though. rolleyes.gif

I can't tell you any real numbers, I just know it took twice as long to start as normal, but it died when alot of the shisha was still not burnt (but much dryer that when we started smoking).

QUOTE (Jamal @ May 28 2007, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gives it a unqiue taste, i've personally done it with a apple before. Places in Mile End such as halalino's do it..although its really expensive.

Basically,
-Get a fruit such as a pear, apple, pinapple(heard of this one not sure if its true).
-Cut the top of the fruit off, to make it resemble a hookah bowl.
-Poke 5 holes through the fruit, so once again it resembles a sheesha bowl.
-Fill the flavour at the top, and foil it as normal.
-Make sure you don't overcut the bottem, as it will adjust to the metal workings.

Hint's:
  • Apples do actually work better, than any fruit i've tried.
  • Do not use to much sheesha flavour, especially juicy ones as this will soak into the apple destroying it.
  • The holes should be evened out, that way there is a fair distrubtion of heat into the apple. I've been told to aim for 30-40 holes, not the 60-70 I personally do.
  • Flavours such as Al Fakher usually, work better than more harsher flavours such as Naklha or El Basha.

remove all the apple seeds as these are toxic to smoke. i usally just core it out and then cut a piece of the top and wedge it in the center to hold up the shisha wink.gif

QUOTE (tj154906 @ Jun 12 2007, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My friends and I just smoked Al Waha "Double Apple" from a Red Delicious apple bowl. It was decadent.

I cant wait to try that with the double apple i plan on getting from El. If you do that setup again, think you could snap a few pictures?

QUOTE (Big Boss @ Jun 14 2007, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (tj154906 @ Jun 12 2007, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My friends and I just smoked Al Waha "Double Apple" from a Red Delicious apple bowl. It was decadent.

I cant wait to try that with the double apple i plan on getting from El. If you do that setup again, think you could snap a few pictures?

I'll do it right now. Pics in a few. Peace.

Here you are. I'm currently out of double apple shisha (I should be getting a tub of Al-Fakher tomorrow or Monday) so I smoked Al Waha "Honey." I put some milk in the base (not a ton, probably close to 2 parts water 1 part milk) and some ice. It was one of the nicest smokes that I've had in quite a while.

I started with two coals and it wasn't doing much. I added a third, but didn't start getting good clouds until I added a fourth. The pic below isn't one of my better clouds, just one of the more focused pictures I took blink.gif Edited by tj154906

Couldn't fit them all in one post even though I shrunk them down quite a bit. I think I might just pay to become a premium member... support a good community and get a much bigger upload limit... sounds good to me! Edited by tj154906

I used an apple for a bowl the first time the other day. We smoked DoubleApple out of it and it was incredibly delicious. Not as thick of smoke, which was fine because the taste was just awesome.
I'd definitely recommend giving this a try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
The holes should be evened out, that way there is a fair distrubtion of heat into the apple. I've been told to aim for 30-40 holes, not the 60-70 I personally do.

Holes in the foil or the apple? I need to try this!

QUOTE (billy @ Dec 17 2007, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The holes should be evened out, that way there is a fair distrubtion of heat into the apple. I've been told to aim for 30-40 holes, not the 60-70 I personally do.

Holes in the foil or the apple? I need to try this!

the foil ontop of teh apple or fruit of choice

Me and a buddy made a bowl out of pineapple. Looked verry reall my hookah is only 18" so it was unstable at top. If we make another 1 ill make sure to show pictures.

In russia theres a hookah academy. You need to go to it for Hookah training for 6months untill you can workd at a hookah bar. I read some articles and alot of ways of smoking there are mostl from fruit bowls.

I yet need to see how to make a decent apple bowl.

My fruit bowl list is too long to list.... Apple, Orange, Mango, Peach, Guava, Pineapplie, Watermelon, Cantalope, Star Fruit, Grapefruit, Pear, Kiwi, Plum, Passion Fruit, Mangosteen, and many many many many more....

• 2 weeks later...
Im going to make a phunnel bowl out of an apple tonight when im camping. Well if I can carve it out correctly I will.

Ill post pics or maybe even a video (i just got a nice miniDV camera) tomorrow after I get home.

i have done alot of these i think i the best is a pineapple but i cant really taste that big of a difference but if u have spear time it is fun, or a a hookah bar. it took me almost 45 minutes to make one out of the pineapple but i really had no idea what i was doing besides what i have seen at restaurants its pretty cool looking