Hookah And Birth Control

So my doctor put me on the pill and told me to stop smoking.
So I did...
But she didn’t say anything about hookah and birth control.
I know smoking cigarettes while you are on the pill may cause high blood pressure, blood clots and other serious side effects but what I really want to know is if I need to be worried about hookah too?? unsure.gif Edited by ohmygoshitsjen33

listen to Dr. Moobs. He is not a wise doctor but he plays one on the hookah forum.

If you have questions however relating to Moob health, which can be a serious issue, he's your man.

Seriously, it's the nicotine that raises blood pressure and if you are on the pill any expsure to nicotine is probably not going to be good for you. My wife is on BC, and occasionally takes a puff or two on the hookah to try the flavor, but I would discourage you or anyone on the pill from smoking regularly.

And to the good Dr.... I just had a moob-o-gram and came back clean as a whistle.

this same issue has me worried, but I already am off the pill due to HBP. It doesn't help that I suffer thru another B-day next week, finally toping the scales at 30+ (blarg).... my BF want's me to start backing off the Hookah (specialy after last night's burn trip) because he's afraid I'll get addicited to the nictoine and start ciggy smoking.

*sigh* hard choice, but if you'r really worried ask the Dr. The silly things we do for love, huh?

QUOTE (LuxOR541 @ May 3 2007, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
listen to Dr. Moobs. He is not a wise doctor but he plays one on the hookah forum.

If you have questions however relating to Moob health, which can be a serious issue, he's your man.

Seriously, it's the nicotine that raises blood pressure and if you are on the pill any expsure to nicotine is probably not going to be good for you. My wife is on BC, and occasionally takes a puff or two on the hookah to try the flavor, but I would discourage you or anyone on the pill from smoking regularly.

And to the good Dr.... I just had a moob-o-gram and came back clean as a whistle.

Good man laugh.gif

Yeah I would say that it's not a smart thing to do... You could always try tabacco free shisha...dont know if that can really be as good though...But atleast theirs no nicotine

hahaha i asked this question a couple of months ago. pretty much got the same responses.

one good thing is the pills say after the age of 30+ you have higher risks of blood clots.

i'm only 22. I smoke hookah and only hookah and not everyday.

My dr said that as long as it's in moderation you should be fine.

eh. I smoke more than i should, but i feel you got to die of something so i do so knowing the risk i am taking......

I would definetely take the smokage in moderation. Like the others were saying- the nicotine is the main aspect that does increase the heart rate and blood pressure. There are other factors in all smoke in general so even if you went to the tobacco free stuff you'd still be doing yourself some damage. Just keep a check on your blood pressure and general health and if you see that your BP is on the up cut out caffiene and nicotiene cause those are two leading causes of HBP. I am both a nico and caff addict but somehow I manage to keep my blood pressure down- haven't figured out exactly why- i just might be lucky. But home blood pressure kits if you are really concerned can help keep you in check. But then again I am a guy and don't really know the effects of the pill that well so I dont know how easily it can help cause HBP. But in moderation things are never as bad as excess. Least that is what I have figured over my journeys in life.

• 1 month later...
Well, I am a real doctor. A dentist none the less, that is now doing a fellowship for anesthesiology, but my fiance is doing her residency in Gyn, she said that if you smoke it regularly your birth control efficiency goes down, and all of your risks rise up, and it's even worse if you are over the age of 35. If you HAVE to smoke hookah, i dont think you should do it often.

P.S. Tobacco is also know to affect a females ovulation schedule.

When a doctor says "Don't smoke" he means "TOBACCO = BAD!"

I have pretty much been smoking washed (.05 as opposed to .5 percent nicotine) for the last several months with a few exceptions. A lot of my Starbuzz favs are .05. Even though I am a guy and not worried about getting preggers I am 40+.
When it comes to the hogh blood pressure drinking LOTS of water helps. Of course exercising helps. But if you try skipping soft drinks during the day and drink a glass of water or green tea you will see a change.
I have cut way back on my beer. Every other night I will have about 3. Then there is usually one night I pull a good one off ohmy.gif
But just remember the water and you will see a difference. I am not a doctor but I am a pirate and that has to count for somethin smile.gif

Ah hooray, I'm the lucky one that had HBP at 18 and got my prescription for BC taken away because they refused to give me any if I didn't have my BP under control. Never smoked before, didn't have a caffeine addiction, none of that stuff, just got it from my dad tongue.gif So here I am now, age 21, on heart medication, smoking my hookah, and freaking out that the next person I do anything with is going to end up being my baby daddy because I'm on low-dosage BC. Moral of the story? If it does push your BP up above the acceptable level, see if you can get yourself some sweet, sweet meds cool.gif

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Allia22 @ Jul 5 2007, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah hooray, I'm the lucky one that had HBP at 18 and got my prescription for BC taken away because they refused to give me any if I didn't have my BP under control. Never smoked before, didn't have a caffeine addiction, none of that stuff, just got it from my dad tongue.gif So here I am now, age 21, on heart medication, smoking my hookah, and freaking out that the next person I do anything with is going to end up being my baby daddy because I'm on low-dosage BC. Moral of the story? If it does push your BP up above the acceptable level, see if you can get yourself some sweet, sweet meds cool.gif

Teehee, lower dosage doesn't mean you'll get pregnant.

As for smoking while on BC, what I was told was that the risk was palpable and substantial at 35+. Below that, if you're not a heavy smoker, make sure you aren't sitting in the same position for long periods of time, that you drink recommended amounts of water, and that you don't smoke too much. Honestly - and this is unbstantiated medicine - I believe the nicotine causes the blood clots, so if you smoke washed tobacco, I doubt you'll die.

QUOTE (nestormakhno @ Aug 16 2007, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Allia22 @ Jul 5 2007, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Teehee, lower dosage doesn't mean you'll get pregnant.

As for smoking while on BC, what I was told was that the risk was palpable and substantial at 35+. Below that, if you're not a heavy smoker, make sure you aren't sitting in the same position for long periods of time, that you drink recommended amounts of water, and that you don't smoke too much. Honestly - and this is unbstantiated medicine - I believe the nicotine causes the blood clots, so if you smoke washed tobacco, I doubt you'll die.

LOL I'm screwed then. I smoke at least 2 rounds of coal a day with Tangiers and can - and have on MANY occasions - layed on the couch for 8+ hours playing video games, usually smoking it up at the same time. If it weren't for work, school, and my mom being on the TV I'd be there... It's the life, but I'ma have a stroke and die at 52 >.<

The low-dosage info is good to know happy.gif'