Bowl + Windscreen Combo

MAKCuMG

Bowl + Windscreen Combo.

This item can be purchased from a number of different vendors. Included is a regular ceramic bowl, a very well made charcoal screen (there are more holes than in a regular screen and they are smaller in diameter), and a windscreen that is attached to the bowl at flips over it.

The price is usually 12.95 - 8.95. I purchased mine at hookah-shisha.com for 12.95.

Let me start of by saying that my expectations after I purchased the product were that heat management was going to be a big issue. Because the windscreen is so close to the bowl (it is actually attached to it) i though that too much heat would be generated, i.e. that tobacco would burn quickly.

My second session with the item and I am loving it.

The session is much quicker to get going, 1-2 pulls as opposed to 3-4 with a regular bowl + same charcoal screen. The clouds are considerably larger, one does not have to pull as hard, or hard at all for that matter, to get a nice amount of smoke in.

A hunch told me to break the 40mm 3 kings quicklite I was using into 4 even pieces. This was right on point and I recommend that anyone using this settup to follow my example. If one were to picture a square within the circle that is the charcoal screen, each piece would go in each corner.

EDIT: I've found that using 2 1/4 pieces of a 40mm at a time works better.

First session was with Havana Apricot (it has been lying untouched since I bought 5 100g samples of starbuzz from socialsmoke.com, which is by the way a great deal 33.95 + shipping after "hookahforum" discount code). The smoke was very thick and did not taste burnt at all. The taste, after having smoked starbuzz for 2 weeks, was somewhat disappointing.

Second session (in progress) was with a 60% to 40% mix of Starbuzz wildberry mint (not very minty)+ Starbuzz social smoke blend (very minty). Results are great.

I can ony imagine how muny holes in my mattress (i have a loft bed with a matress and pillows arangement on the bottom) this thing is going to save me from. The windscreen locks in place so if this thing falls, coals stay inside.

Great product. Overall rating 9.5/10 (nothing is perfect in THIS world). Edited by MAKCuMG

I praise whoever thought up the design for the combo/wind cover bowl! My friends always cover the coal with like 7 inches tall of aluminum foil! This thing is an amazing creation. What do you think about it?

[attachment=288:windcoverbowl.gif]

I have one, and its, ok. Personally I smoke in a nice calm room where a wind cover isnt necesary, and the metal bowl screen isnt a big deal either, it will rust after a while and gets hard to clean. The wind cover mechanism doesnt fit too great after a few uses.

They are cool, but I like normal foil and my traditional wind cover from H-S Better.

I dont like it, although i only used it once, but im not bothering with it again it was a lame purchase, I dont even smoke outside tongue.gif lol, but now ill just stick with the good old egyptian bowl with tin foil... but. I also very very lightly burned my knuckle on the lid dry.gif . Its ok though, I dont reccomend this bowl though. Buy a windcover .

IF anything it's likely to make the shisha too hot.

A 'normal' windcover is quite big compared to the bowl size and lets lots of air get in and around the bowl.

Also a 'normal' windcover can be used as a very effective heat management tool. I allways use mine indoors to regulate how hot the shisha is.

So i don't rate those bowls at all.

JD

I don't know, I'm liking mine. I actualy went down to 2 1/4 pieces of a 40mm (thats 1/2 of a 40mm split in 2 halves). I am getting a ton of flavorful smoke, and feel safe that if I knock it down, there wont be too much damage. Maybe its because I'm smoking starbuzz.

I bought one and am waiting for it to show up with my new hookah. I'll see if I like it or not and if I don't, I'll sell it to my buddy for like, $15 or so. haha

It's good for a fast smoke tho, you don't have to deal with aluminum foil. That's the only good thing about it.

IMO the screen that comes with the bowl is really drastically different from other screens i've seen. The holes are considerably smaller and there is more of them. I've completely ditched foil and now use this screen on my regular bowl, which happens to look exactly like the bowl that comes with the combo, thus the perfect fit.

One thing though, make sure that you leave a little space between the shisha and the screen when you pack your bowl, otherwise it will cake on the screen. A little scrubbing gets it off but why bother. Just don't be a fool like me and pack the way you are supposed to from the beginning.

tongue.gif

Max

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (txhookahman @ May 4 2007, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I praise whoever thought up the design for the combo/wind cover bowl! My friends always cover the coal with like 7 inches tall of aluminum foil! This thing is an amazing creation. What do you think about it?

if u like that u should try a three or four bowl in one. u can use one flovor or three but u need three coals.

• 3 weeks later...
these bowls are awesome. a friend just got one in the mail last night and we sat down to try it out. first we used a 40mm 3k and like other people said, the shisha was a bit too hot and burned a little. we tried another round after that one with a 33mm 3k and it worked perfectly. every time we went to move the coal there was barely anymore ash on it. i think i have been inspired to purchase one as well, or try to make one somehow.

• 4 weeks later...
i'm new here and this is EXACTLY wat i've been lookin for... I need it coz i plan on smoking it in the car when i go on cruises n stuff (hence the licence plates ARG31A (argeela))... anyways i payed for one on ebay but after not recieving it for around a month i emailed the seller and managed to get a refund... so now i'm looking to buy one from a reputable place does anyone know such a place? i'm in Sydney, Australia by the way... we have heaps of hookah (we call them by their arabic name 'argeela') shops here but non of them stock this kind of wind cover bowl thingee Edited by d_ice

hey i'm new here... i've been looking EVERYWHERE for that kind of bowl... i actually bought one on ebay but after one month of not recieving it i settled for a refund what a waste of time... anyways I'm looking for one (pref purple or black)... so where can i find the cheapest one there is that would ship to sydney australia??? we've got heaps of argeela shops in sydney but they just dont have this product sad.gif i really need it so i can smoke while i drive.... oooh yeaaa wink.gif Edited by d_ice

• 1 month later...
I bought one of the combo bowls a few months back. It's a great addition, but I do have a problem with it: the clamp will malfunction after a while. Mine bent after about a month or so of use, but it's not that big of a deal. I just close the cover and call it a day. It does a great job of prolonging coal life pretty well.

Rating: 9.5/10

• 3 months later...
these things suck... It was hard to close, it got really hot, nothing fit on like it was suppose to, everything stopped working right after about 6 uses. So basically don't buy it. 1/10 biggest waste of money ever angry.gif

• 2 weeks later...
I use this bowl frequently and I am fairly satisfied with it. It retains heat very well so you don't have to use as many coals, and it contains the mess (useful if you are in a situation where a lot of people are coming and going. I have a black combo bowl and it looks quite nice - it will fit fairly snugly on my hookah without any difficulty. The primary downside to this bowl is how shallow it is and its metal parts can decay over time as other people were saying - to prolong the lifetime of the combo bowl, I typically wash and dry immediately to prevent rusting issues. No harder to clean than any other bowl, but the higher price tag (about the middle range between a MNH glass phunnel and a stock bowl) may turn some people off. The coal screen can sometimes become "attached" to the wind cover, but is easily fixable by using a pair of tongs.

As far as safety issues are concerned, what I do is when I'm changing out coals mid-session I will use tongs to hold the wind cover down and un-clamp the combo bowl, then slowly lift upwards (in the event the screen becomes stuck to the wind cover). The top portion will be hot (metal right next to red-hot coals) so it's important to work at such an angle where your hands don't get too close to that specific metal part of the combo bowl.

Hope this provides some insight on it for people that have one but don't/can't throw it away just yet.

• 1 month later...
these bowls have a special place in my heart; they have made smoking and driving possible and far less scary. Don't get me wrong, there is always a wingman with the hookah. We would have this baby in the car and watch a movie; if somebody in the back seat pulls, it's all good; if the hookah has to be at an angle, we don't need no stinken friction to hold our coals down. And it can make small coals smoke again (but only briefly as they are small).

I pesonally love mine for one major reason. I take it to parties and leave without burns on their carpets. My friends love me for that too. I have never used the screen cause I like foil and it's a bitch to move coals if I need to cause the cover gets really hot but in the end it has one use, and that's for parties, and it functions damn well for that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
love mine, but not all the time.

1) The bowl is a nice shallow bowl when u dont wanna pack a huge bowl ( like when its just u smoking)

2) The screen is super easy to use so saves time, doesnt really affect the smoke/heat any differently than foil

3) the cover is AWESOME for regulating heat and saving coals, its AWFUL as an actual wind cover to use outside. The latch doesnt work so i dont use it.

over 8/10 if u use it in the correct setting. Edited by ender11122

I did not like mine. Here is why:

The thing gets hot. I mean really hot. That little cam flip handle to open and close the wind cover? Yeah, it gets to "surface of the sun" temperature after about 30 seconds.

It contains so much heat, it really burnt up the shisha. I tried half a coal, and it did the same thing.

With the cover on, you can't move the coals around, or ash them without trying to flip the lid back up. if you don't flip the latch, the screen doesn't seal well. The foil worked better at sealing, but you have to manuever the foil around the metal retaining wire.

All in all, it was more of a hassle than a conventional bowl with a conventional wind cover, and it didn't work nearly as well.

I give it a generous 2/10, and thats only because its a cool idea.

This is a stellar bowl in my opinion. Specially for solo sessions. Pack it lightly with Romman, Hookah Freak or Nakhla, put it on my bambino, throw on a couple quicklights, shut the screenand smoke away! Was my go to bowl for several months. Still keep in the collection because I still use it from time to time!

QUOTE (txhookahman @ May 4 2007, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I seem to be in the minority, but it's the only bowl I use. I tend to only smoke about 30-40 minutes at a time. I wanted to find a way to just sit back and relax, and not have to move or rotate the coal. (I'm lazy smile.gif).

I basically only use this bowl with about a teaspoon or so of shisha (a full bowl is NOT needed), and place it low, as far down away from the foil so it doesn't burn. I poke the foil (don't use the screen with the combo. bowl) in a circular pattern across the entire foil, and place one unbroken square of coal on top, making sure that it's completely ashed over. It's never harsh, lasts a good 30-40 minutes, the temp is regulated by the cover, and I never have to move the coal, it burns (or I should say "cooks") the shisha evenly. Works for me. I've found for me, the harshness would always come from the shisha getting burned instead of cooking due to being too close to the foil. With using minimal tobacco, keeping it low away from the foil, you don't have to worry about it getting too hot, and the wind cover combo takes care of the temp. fluctuation issue. My .02. Edited by roadie