?'s For The Pros

I've been somking hookah for a few months. First at cafes, but I got my own mini a couple weeks ago. Nothing to brag about, but I do plan on getting a better, more serious hookah. With that said I'm looking for a couple answers to help me progress out of the "newb"-hookah-smoker phase. You detailed answers will be appreciated.

1) I hear a lot about breaking the coals in half and placing them on the side of the bowl. Should I heat the coal, then split it or split it then hit both pieces seperately?

2) Why is it important to flip the packed/covered bowl upside down for a few minutes before smoking? Does this increase air flow the same as blowing through the bottom of the bowl before placing it on the stem?

3) I've looked a little into Smiley's glass bowls. Do they increase the amount of smoke, or the flavor, or both?

4) This is more of an opinion based question. What shisha brand/flavor delivers really strong hits, as in a lot of smoke/flavor?

Peace.

QUOTE (NateE @ Apr 26 2007, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2) Why is it important to flip the packed/covered bowl upside down for a few minutes before smoking? Does this increase air flow the same as blowing through the bottom of the bowl before placing it on the stem?

Peace.

you probably misunderstood what someone was saying.. you dont flip the bowl upside. after you pack the bowl, you blow from the bottom to loosen up the tobacco.. this makes the shisha burn more evenly becuase there is an even airflow

Ok breaking the coal is just a matter of heat management, you don't have to break a coal especially if your getting good smoke and flavor...but if you do try breaking a coal do it before you light it.

Blowing into your bowl works just fine....i suppose some people like to tip it upside down...i would expirement.

Well glass heats the shisha efficiently, you can get good flavor and smoke out of any bowl you just have to remember your heat management.

Plenty of brands hit well...people in this forum like alwahl, starbuzz, smileys sexy shisha...check out the forums review section.

1) I hear a lot about breaking the coals in half and placing them on the side of the bowl. Should I heat the coal, then split it or split it then hit both pieces seperately?

|We only break up coals on our littler hookahs so if we ned only half or 1 and a half we almost always try to use wholes because that works best for the hookahs we have

2) Why is it important to flip the packed/covered bowl upside down for a few minutes before smoking? Does this increase air flow the same as blowing through the bottom of the bowl before placing it on the stem?\

Ive never heard of this but i am going to try the blowing into em thing

3) I've looked a little into Smiley's glass bowls. Do they increase the amount of smoke, or the flavor, or both?

i want one is all i gotta say

4) This is more of an opinion based question. What shisha brand/flavor delivers really strong hits, as in a lot of smoke/flavor?

i really really dig smileys... but pharohs is a good brand on the cheaper end that hits well and gives a decent smoke taste for a while... but give them all a try i am still waiting to try starbuzz and tangeiers

When I know I'm going to need half coals I split a roll or two of them and store them in a ziplock bag. If I'm smoking and decide I need a half coal I split it after I light it, *but* I have a nice deep cast iron pot, so it can spark all it wants without buring anything.

Smiley's bowl is great for solo smokes, good flavor and nice even heating.

I have quite a few "favorite" brands. Smiley is the new favorite at my shack, starbuzz is next and al waha is great for after nine or a cola flavor. Tangiers would tie for first, but studying/homework/swing shift just doesn't get done after smoking tangiers.

I prefer to not split the coal at first. Light the coal, let it smolder, then begin smoking. As the coal burns down, it will slowly disentegrate. Use your tongs to spread the embers around, so that the coal lasts until the tobacco is consumed.

I prefer not to flip the bowl, just pack the tobacco loosely, so that air will flow through it, a little practice, and you will see that it is easy to pack a bowl properly.

Bowls do not add flavor. I prefer the glazed ceramic bowls, solely because they are easy to clean. After a smoke, an old toothbrush is just right to get the crud out of the inside, then you just place the bowl in the dishwasher.

I really enjoy "Zaghloul". It is an Egyptian tobacco, unflavored, the only additive is molasses, (to make the tobacco stick together, and burn properly). You get a very good "buzz" with Zaghloul. Sometimes I add oil of mint, to the tobacco, to give it some mellowness. Edited by cemab4y