Difference Between Egyptian And Syrian Hooakahs

Egyptians are the best pipes in the world. And im not even being bias, because I am egyption lol. I own many pipes. 10 total. Only got 1 egyptian and the reason being is because once you buy one it lasts a lifetime.

Theres so many posts on this.
Search "Egyptian vs. Syrian".

Basically..
If you like funcionality(Sometimes there can be aomething wrong) & tradition - Egyptian
If you like functionality & perfection - Syrian

Egyptians are hand-made. Syriand aren't.

Egyptians are cheaper, Syrians are more expensive.

its all aesthetics.

i find that egyptians, when the right ones, own face. too much risk of impurities or flaws, though. i.e: i own three egyptians. 1 of them owns face, the other smokes pretty good, and the last one... well i can get nice thick clouds but only sometimes and it requires alot of tinkering. i own a mya and a witch (machine-made) and they smoke amazing every time. my syrian i have only smoked once, i never get the chance

QUOTE (MagicHookahs @ Nov 9 2007, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello, I concider myself extremely knowledgable about hookahs in general. I have always conidered the top quality models to be Egyptian. Syrian hookahs recieve alot of hype and I jsut never really knew the specific difference.

Hope you guys can help.

I've smoked out of maybe 2 dozen Egyptian hookahs and perhaps a dozen Syrian ones. Honestly, I haven't found there to be tremendous amounts of difference in practice, but I found that Syrians require you to draw a little harder, and give you better smoke. I have very powerful lungs, so this is one of the reasons that I prefer Syrian.

Moreover, I have found Egyptian pipes to be, well, boring. I haven't seen many that deviate from the standard model, and since appearance means a lot to me this is another reason that I prefer Syrian.

Syrians are also taller, which I appreciate when I'm smoking with other people because it gives the pipe more presence in the room. This is the third and final reason that I prefer Syrian pipes.

I'm pretty new here and haven't read any of the posts that ZenSilk mentioned... this is just my experience. I'm guessing that the majority of the people that like Syrian hookahs better either only own and/or have smoked from Syrian hookahs, are from Syria/Iran/Iraq, or simply started on Syrian hookahs. I imagine that the same is true of the majority of people that prefer Egyptian hookahs.

So my last recommendation is to largely disregard highly subjective advice.

Look at the line of egyptians Vs. Syrians. From top to bottom Egyptians are better. In price, look, and quality. I dunno where you came up with saying syrians are taller? I dont think that can be proven. dry.gif

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Nov 10 2007, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (MagicHookahs @ Nov 9 2007, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello, I concider myself extremely knowledgable about hookahs in general. I have always conidered the top quality models to be Egyptian. Syrian hookahs recieve alot of hype and I jsut never really knew the specific difference.

Hope you guys can help.

I've smoked out of maybe 2 dozen Egyptian hookahs and perhaps a dozen Syrian ones. Honestly, I haven't found there to be tremendous amounts of difference in practice, but I found that Syrians require you to draw a little harder, and give you better smoke. I have very powerful lungs, so this is one of the reasons that I prefer Syrian.

Moreover, I have found Egyptian pipes to be, well, boring. I haven't seen many that deviate from the standard model, and since appearance means a lot to me this is another reason that I prefer Syrian.

Syrians are also taller, which I appreciate when I'm smoking with other people because it gives the pipe more presence in the room. This is the third and final reason that I prefer Syrian pipes.

I'm pretty new here and haven't read any of the posts that ZenSilk mentioned... this is just my experience. I'm guessing that the majority of the people that like Syrian hookahs better either only own and/or have smoked from Syrian hookahs, are from Syria/Iran/Iraq, or simply started on Syrian hookahs. I imagine that the same is true of the majority of people that prefer Egyptian hookahs.

So my last recommendation is to largely disregard highly subjective advice.

i dont see where you get off saying egyptians look better. they have the exact same construct... every single time. that stupid like umbrella look up and down the stem.

its all opinion. no one can say "this is better because". in the end, do egyptian and syrian hookahs:
smoke tobacco? do we enjoy them? to anyone, are they aesthetically pleasing?

its liek saying "what do you like better, granny apples, or macintosh's?" yeah, you can be a dick and be like "well one is sweeter" or "the other is more tart" but in the end, theyre still frieking apples.

QUOTE (boulderkid303 @ Nov 10 2007, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look at the line of egyptians Vs. Syrians. From top to bottom Egyptians are better. In price, look, and quality.

Very debatable. I have 2 Syrians, but have smoked out of many an Egyptian. They both smoke well, but Syrians tend to be more ornate and original in appearance.

Aesthetically syrians tend to be more pleasing and original in their designs in my opinion. They often have intricate styling and patterning on the stem. Egyptians on the other hand are solid, and not especially beautiful.

In regards to their construction Egyptians bowls are female and the stem fits into the vase with a grommet (also found on many syrians). Syrians, on the other hand, have a male bowl that fits into the stem (see hookahook.com hookahs) and a stem that screws OVER the vase top. You will often find variations in this but strictly speaking that's the difference. Many intricately designed hookahs are called syrians because of their design despite being of egyptian fitting (eg. female bowl).

Therefore hookahs can be called syrian or egyptian either because of their design or more strictly because of their fitting construction.

Not necessarily all opinion. Some Egyptians suck ass, because they are made poorly. There can be Syrians that are made shitty as well, only it is less likely because they are built by machines.

The Egyptian hookahs available on the US market are nothing special. Sooner or later they will rust, and the solders can easily break. The stems can be dented, bent, discolored, and thin. Now, if all Egyptian hookahs were made of brass, there would be no room to complain, the only thing that could make the hookah smoke poorly is bad craftsmanship.

That's why i prefer Syrians at this current point in time. They are durable, heavy, perfectly built, and you know it will be free of imperfections when you purchase one.
If Egyptian hookahs on the US market stepped it up a notch and went to brass, maybe i'd prefer one of those.

You can't base a hookah off "How well it smokes". That part is all the smoker. Not the hookah. if they can't set it up right, and keep up the heat, then they could make any hookah smoke poorly. I can get a pumpkin to smoke rather boldly, so when i use an Egyptian and Syrian hookah, i can't go wrong.

The differences between these hookahs is how they are built, not how they smoke.

If you want hardcore tradition minus perfection (in most cases) then you will buy an Egyptian, and it will smoke amazing.

IF you want perfection and durability and Brass, then you will buy a Syrian, and it will smoek amazing.

Smoke is all up to you. Not the hookah you buy.

QUOTE (ZenSilk @ Nov 11 2007, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not necessarily all opinion. Some Egyptians suck ass, because they are made poorly. There can be Syrians that are made shitty as well, only it is less likely because they are built by machines.

The Egyptian hookahs available on the US market are nothing special. Sooner or later they will rust, and the solders can easily break. The stems can be dented, bent, discolored, and thin. Now, if all Egyptian hookahs were made of brass, there would be no room to complain, the only thing that could make the hookah smoke poorly is bad craftsmanship.

That's why i prefer Syrians at this current point in time. They are durable, heavy, perfectly built, and you know it will be free of imperfections when you purchase one.
If Egyptian hookahs on the US market stepped it up a notch and went to brass, maybe i'd prefer one of those.

You can't base a hookah off "How well it smokes". That part is all the smoker. Not the hookah. if they can't set it up right, and keep up the heat, then they could make any hookah smoke poorly. I can get a pumpkin to smoke rather boldly, so when i use an Egyptian and Syrian hookah, i can't go wrong.

The differences between these hookahs is how they are built, not how they smoke.

If you want hardcore tradition minus perfection (in most cases) then you will buy an Egyptian, and it will smoke amazing.

IF you want perfection and durability and Brass, then you will buy a Syrian, and it will smoek amazing.

Hey ZenSilk,

Maybe this is a little off topic, but what do you think of the Syrian Snake on H-S?

QUOTE (Jshenrikson @ Nov 12 2007, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey ZenSilk,

Maybe this is a little off topic, but what do you think of the Syrian Snake on H-S?

Zen's right the qualtiy of smoke is largely based on the skill of the smoker. Lot's of practice, a decent hookah, and a little luck will yield a better smoke than a really expensive 'awesome' hookah and a narghilé n00b.

henrikson, although it's not for me, i like the engineer and the glyph much better than the snake - even though it's nice too. i've been angling at an engineer for a while hopefully i'll get one sometime. What draws you to the snake?

QUOTE (Jshenrikson @ Nov 11 2007, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey ZenSilk,

I actually almost bought it for myself. smile.gif
Until i realized i need a 3 hose hookah. But the stem on the snake is My Favorite, tied with the green and gold 30" on the same site that he's only ever carried 2 of.

QUOTE (Estariol @ Nov 11 2007, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jshenrikson @ Nov 12 2007, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey ZenSilk,

Zen's right the qualtiy of smoke is largely based on the skill of the smoker. Lot's of practice, a decent hookah, and a little luck will yield a better smoke than a really expensive 'awesome' hookah and a narghilé n00b.

henrikson, although it's not for me, i like the engineer and the glyph much better than the snake - even though it's nice too. i've been angling at an engineer for a while hopefully i'll get one sometime. What draws you to the snake?

I don't know, I really like the stem on it like ZenSilk I guess

Thats one thing that really amazes me about Egyptian and Syrian hookahs, the fact that when they are compared to Chinese or American hookahs, they completeley blow them out of the water. The brass stem on my egyptian hookah is so rugged its unbelievable... On the other hand, I have a chinese hookah whos stem broke during the 2nd month of usage.