Super Chief

Shifty

Ok So I finally got off work, packed the super chief (small) and here goes, complete with pictures

So this is just the bowl itself, it's pretty sturdy, just like the funnel, made with the same material.

As per previous discussions on the forum as well as instructions from Tangiers himself, I packed Layalina Raspberry around the rim. It didn't take alot of shisha actually, quite a small amount, it was a little difficult to keep it close to the rim as I could without covering too many of the holes, which is apparently the goal here.

I figured the majority of the larger holes should go around the outside where the shisha was positioned, I added a few holes towards the center as well for good measure.

Slight problem I discovered while using the bowl is that since there is nothing in the middle, if you have finger coals they tend to roll towards the middle, after they burnt for a little while and developed a flat spot, it was easier to set them on the edge of the bowl, which is where I stationed them for the majority of the session.

Hour and 15 minutes later, after the 2 pieces of finger coals I was using went out, this was the scene. I was actually quite suprised, the shisha although dark on the top, was still very moist at the base, which is also the case in the normal Funnel. I probably could have lit another 2 pieces and continued to smoke it for another hour, but since it's already 1am, I needed to stop. It wasn't tasting burnt regardless of the amount of black at the foil.

Overall:
8/10

The bowl itself does it's job. Allows for a good amount of airflow through it. The holes on the platform helped and I didn't feel any restrictions while pulling on it. It did take about 10 minutes or so to heat up to the point of getting good smoke and flavor, but after that, I really didn't need alot of heat to keep it going, because of the low shisha amount, this is probably what was intended. The clouds I was getting were good and thick and I could taste the flavors well. It did have a little soapy taste to it, but that was most likely the shisha itself, Layalina I've noticed, has a strange taste no matter what kind it is. I'll have to try other brands as well. It seems to me to be a good bowl for single smokers or if you are aiming for a potential quick session. Not something I would imagine would be good for the marathon smokers, but hey, this was only the first session. I'll have to experiment with different coals and shisha.

S Edited by Shifty

My camera is on the fritz so I will post pics later.

The bowl is nice and big, it is a Med sized. For my foil holes I placed them only around two sides of the bowl, I will have pics up later. The draw on it was very easy, better than the phunnel and my normal bowl, proally due to the fact that tobacco is not over the holes. Plenty of smoke with it too. The only problem I have with it, is I just wish the dip in the bowl was wider, because when packing the shisha spills over and does block some of the holes. Overall it is a nice bowl, but if you have a scalimod and a phunnel then you really do not need this bowl, unless you do not like cleaning the scalli mod, like I do. I just would love to see this bowl be wider in the dip area, maybe take some surface area away from the raised part with the holes Edited by oggie505#2

Used the SC today and overall its not bad. I pack the bowl with SB Peach and pushed it a bit into the groove. I ran a ring of holes the size of toothpick and ran another row very small like a thumb tack. Smokes very well no problem with flow. I would say that it would be the same as a phunnel with the mod. I have all the Tang bowls and love each one of them.

Eddie

• 3 weeks later...
I have the small Super Chief. They say it holds 15-20 g of shisha but that is an under estimate. Fluffed up and not the slightest bit packed down it holds 23 g and would hold 30 g plus easily. I found that using 23 g fluffed up works the best. I use Reynolds HD foil 1 layer with only one ring of holes around the outside rim (over the shisha). I use 4 Easy lite coals and get huge clouds of flavorful smoke everytime. I get smoke on the first draw and thick smoke on the 3rd draw. I use a Nammor hose too. The only drawback with this set up is I almost have to use a diffuser. The reason is the big bore of the Super Chief and Nammor causes the foil to vibrate and coals to move around from the bubbles. Overall I think the Super Chief is a huge improvement on any standard bowl.

• 1 month later...
i smoke tangiers with my super chief b4 it broke sad.gif. w/o even acclimation the smoke was super smooth and thick. i have to go buy another one soon as it was my fave bowl to use no matter which tobacco i smoked. best packed with an oyster fork, used it to kinda push in the tobacco against the center but not overpackin it. very handy.

• 2 months later...
I just got my small superchief today and I loaded it with sb guava.
I loaded it around the rim and poked the holes where the tobacco is with one hole in the middle.
The bowl heated pretty quickly with two 1/4 pieces of nour coals.
The flavor is good and the pull is real easy.
It didn't take much tobacco to fill the thing so it is good if you want to save tobacco.
It's a real good bowl and if you're thinking about purchasing one go for it. You won't regret it.

The set-up.
mya gyro.
nammor hose.
starbuzz guava.
2 quarters of a nour stick.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (kahluajeep @ Jan 18 2008, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just ordered the the superchief medium. I took this over the phunnel because the case seems to be that the Super cheif is better for small sessions, which i have alot. I will review this bowl once it gets here.

Ok to finish this review, i just got my medium super chief today, as well as (thanks to ams) i found a hole in the wall hookah store ridcously close. Any who bough some starbuzz x on the beach. Pack the bowl similar to what people have said and pictured. I did the Large hole ring on the out side and i just felt experimenting with patterns and put an x in the middle. O by the way i decided to use my bros QT, i didn't felt like cleaning the 31" mya. It took a while to get it going a well, at first i had to much water in the base, poured some out and keep puffing at it. When we got it going, we got barrels of smoke, and the best and strongest flavor i have ever got from a hookah and set up by any one i know. Awesome bowl, the application of what the super cheif is ment for (which is smaller, less people sessions) i found perfect! My buddy who i share the 31" with is going to buy a Phunnel to for those long sessions that we rarely have, but do to the performance of the SC, we think it will be worth it. il post pics soon, camera takin to high capcity pics Edited by kahluajeep

• 1 month later...
Super Chief small

Construction: Excellent, like every Tangiers bowl I have purchased (small and medium funnel).

Smoke: I find the smoke to be virtually unaltered between the Super Chief and the funnel. This means both the smoke and flavor are incredible.

Length of sessions: I get a good one and a half to two hours, which is all I usually need. After two hours my friends and I generally wish to change flavors.

Conclusion: Do to the fact that I rarely need a bowl to last more than 2 hours the super chief has become my primary bowl. I use much less tobacco, and am quite satisfied. I still recommend the funnel for longer sessions at parties and such. 10/10 Edited by John Stuart Mill

• 4 weeks later...
Small Superchief

Build: Sturdy and Heavy
Looks: Beautiful
Sessions: Long. It holds like maybe 12-15 grams of shisha and I usually smoke 2-3 people and it lasts for at least 2 hours when I get tired of lighting coals. Even with the dryer tobacco that I have tried it still doesnt use all of it when I call it.
Smoke: Thick and flavorful.
Hits: Huge and easy.
Pros: Looks good keeps sessions going longer than I care to keep lighting coals for.
Cons: LOUD AS HELL. When you hit its extremly loud since none of the holes are covered.
Overall: 10/10 My constant use bowl.

• 2 weeks later...
Medium Superchief

Worked great. I actually bought and used it before I saw this thread, so not only did I pack around the rim but I also sprinkled a bit in the middle, but not very much. Still worked great, definitely an improvement from my old modern bowl. I was smoking for almost an hour when I had to clean up early, and when I peeled back the foil the top layer was used but the stuff on the bottom was still really juicy and looked totally usable. Very impressed with this bowl, I'd say this is a necessity if you are just using a standard bowl, definitely worth the cost.

• 1 year later...
[color="#FF0000"][size=3][b]Tangiers Medium Super Chief [/b][/size][/color]

[b]Height: [/b] 4-3/4”
[b]Bowl Diameter:[/b] 2-5/8”
[b]Bowl Depth: [/b]1/2”
[b]Bowl Capacity: [/b] 15-30g

[b]Construction:[/b] Stoneware
[b]Appearance: [/b]Very Nice
[b]Cleanability:[/b] Easy to Clean
[b]
Price: [/b]Undisclosed

[b]Purchased From:[/b] Trade from Speak_In_Vowels

[b]Overall:[/b] 10/10 This is a great bowl. I think people have missed out on this bowl. I would hold it higher in my search than I would a Mini. It has the benefits of a Large Phunnel with the benefits of a smaller amount of shisha say between a mini and small. ERIC MAKE MORE!!!!

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/SuperChiefEmpty.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/SuperChiefFull.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/SuperChiefSetup.jpg[/img]

• 10 months later...
[size="3"][color="#ff0000"][b]Tangiers Mini Super Chief[/b][/color][/size]

[b]Height:[/b] 4-3/8”
[b]Bowl Diameter:[/b] 2-1/4”
[b]Bowl Depth:[/b] 5/8”
[b]Bowl Capacity:[/b] 25-35g

[b]Appearance: [/b]Nice

[b]Price:[/b] $15

[b]Purchased From:[/b] Eric

[b]Overall: [/b]10/10 Love the super chief. I pack mine differently than Eric Suggests and just pack the trough. The Mini SC is great I pack it tight and smokes great for 2 hours easy without any flavor loss. Smoke it like crazy now.

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/MiniSCEmpty.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/MiniSCFull.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/MiniSCSetup.jpg[/img]

[b]Tangiers Small Super Chief[/b]

[b]Height:[/b] 4-1/8”
[b]Bowl Diameter:[/b] 2-1/2”
[b]Bowl Depth:[/b] 5/8”
[b]Bowl Capacity:[/b] 30-40g

[b]Appearance: [/b]Nice

[b]Price:[/b] $15

[b]Purchased From:[/b] Eric

[b]Overall: [/b]10/10 This is an amazing optimal bowl. This bowl and my Mini Phunnel are my goto bowls. This is an amazing smoking bowl. The perfect combination of shisha with huge air space to let the smoke build up in the bowl before smoking it through the pipe.

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/SmallSCEmpty.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/SmallSCFull.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/Hookah%20Bowls/SmallSCSetup.jpg[/img]